Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

Thread: ak47 in toronto

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    montreal
    Posts
    106
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default ak47 in toronto

    Andrei kirilenko just comfirms he wants to come back in the nba since jersey can only offert him the a small amout
    do you think it would be good to bring him in a our starting 3 ?
    great starting five and could be a sleeper and suprise team in the east


    BC works ur magic

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ab7 wrote: View Post
    Andrei kirilenko just comfirms he wants to come back in the nba since jersey can only offert him the a small amout
    do you think it would be good to bring him in a our starting 3 ?
    great starting five and could be a sleeper and suprise team in the east


    BC works ur magic
    Do you have a source?

    The David West Contract: 2 years, $20M.

    The Raptors would need to find a taker for Calderon with little to no salary coming back to make that offer.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lietuva
    Posts
    1,410
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ak47 is reliable. Solid backup or OK starting 5.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,158
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    its on Hoopshype now. What's our cap situation? I know we can't amnesty anyone.... Do we have the full mid-level? I say we go after him

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,584
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ak47 would be a decent fit at the starting three. on an unrelated sidenote, we'd have the whitest frontcourt in the whole NBA if this actually happened.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote thead wrote: View Post
    its on Hoopshype now. What's our cap situation? I know we can't amnesty anyone.... Do we have the full mid-level? I say we go after him
    Raps have 12 players with $1.2M in cap room (including JL3), a $2.5M room exception (likely going to Gray), and minimum contracts.

    Only way to get AK47 is to trade Calderon with little to no salary coming back.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Tue Jul 24th, 2012 at 01:30 PM.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,569
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've heard if he's coming back it's to play for the Nets so he can play under Prokhorov. We can't do a sign and trade since he didn't play last year.. so we'd have to trade Calderon without getting any assets back.. I'm sure BC's been trying to do that all summer already.

    I don't see how we can get him.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    All via HoopsHype.com:


    Former Utah Jazz forward Andrei Kirilenko has decided to return to the NBA for next season, he told R-Sport on Tuesday. Ria Novosti

    “I’ll continue my career in the NBA,” Kirilenko said. “Which club in particular, we’ll know in a day or two.” Ria Novosti

    Andrei Kirilenko: “After such a stronger season with CSKA I understand that I can still play at a high level. I’m 31 but I can still play and still want to play.” Ria Novosti

    Teams that are possible right now without any transaction to free up cap space assuming he signs for more than the MLE:

    Minnesota
    New Orleans
    Cleveland

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic All-Star KHD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,039
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Raps have 12 players with $1.2M in cap room (including JL3), a $2.5M room exception (likely going to Gray), and minimum contracts.

    Only way to get AK47 is to trade Calderon with little to no salary coming back.
    Yep. But damn, wouldn't that be a great pickup?

    I feel that he's not too popular on these boards, but Kirilenko would be beautiful at the 3 for us. He's just 31, and has career numbers of 12 ppg/ 6 rpg / 2 bpg / 1.4 spg. Would love to see him here, if the money's right.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KHD wrote: View Post
    Yep. But damn, wouldn't that be a great pickup?

    I feel that he's not too popular on these boards, but Kirilenko would be beautiful at the 3 for us. He's just 31, and has career numbers of 12 ppg/ 6 rpg / 2 bpg / 1.4 spg. Would love to see him here, if the money's right.
    David West Contract.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic All-Star KHD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,039
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    David West Contract.
    2yrs $20M? I think that's not too bad. You have to pay a little more for short term deals. Of course this is meaningless if Calderon couldn't be moved for no salary.

    EDIT: Woops, you said exactly that earlier. Reading failure. Anyways, I think this would be a good move if possible.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KHD wrote: View Post
    2yrs $20M? I think that's not too bad. You have to pay a little more for short term deals. Of course this is meaningless if Calderon couldn't be moved for no salary.

    EDIT: Woops, you said exactly that earlier. Reading failure. Anyways, I think this would be a good move if possible.
    Since he has proclaimed he wants to come back to the NBA and the options are certainly limited now and making the assumption he wants more than MLE ($5M per year), maybe $8M gets it done? $9M? Definitely wouldn't go over $10M and definitely wouldn't go over 2 years unless year 3 was a team option.

    In any Calderon trade,
    at $8M Raps could take back $3.7M
    at $9M Raps could take back $2.7M
    at $10M Raps could take back $1.7M
    this assumes HW.com numbers are correct.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic All-Star KHD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,039
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Since he has proclaimed he wants to come back to the NBA and the options are certainly limited now and making the assumption he wants more than MLE ($5M per year), maybe $8M gets it done? $9M? Definitely wouldn't go over $10M and definitely wouldn't go over 2 years unless year 3 was a team option.

    In any Calderon trade,
    at $8M Raps could take back $3.7M
    at $9M Raps could take back $2.7M
    at $10M Raps could take back $1.7M
    this assumes HW.com numbers are correct.
    Looks like a real long shot that we'd sign him, but who knows?

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KHD wrote: View Post
    Looks like a real long shot that we'd sign him, but who knows?
    Oh yeah.... total long shot at this point. Especially since he said he'd make a decision in the next day or two on a team (assuming the quotes for HoopsHype.com are accurate).

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,379
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't know if he'd be much of an improvement over fields. Even if he was he wouldnt be for long then he'd have to fight kleiza for minutes. I wouldn't mind if we got him, I just think if we did we shouldve got him at the beginning of the month. Don't know if he's a good fit anymore

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    215
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hey Matt, is there a reason that we can go over the cap and pay tax? Also I don't understand the David West connection what does that mean?

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CT2010 wrote: View Post
    Hey Matt, is there a reason that we can go over the cap and pay tax? Also I don't understand the David West connection what does that mean?
    You can only go over the salary cap with exceptions. The Raptors renounced their exceptions to use their salary cap space below the cap. You can have salary cap space below the cap or exceptions above the cap but you can't have both in the same summer. The exception to the rule is the new $2.5M room exception created in the new CBA.

    David West was 30 or 31 last year when he signed a 2 year, $20M dollar contract with the Pacers. IT was a low risk, high reward contract for them. I look at AK47 at 2 years and no more than $20M the same way.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/se...367&pp=&page=3

    in all of these threads. ak-47 has been mentioned at least once. I think you get where i'm going with this...

    Last edited by LBF; Tue Jul 24th, 2012 at 02:37 PM.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The more I think about this, I am not sure he would be a good move - even on a David West-like contract.

    In making such an offer, the Raps would lose all future flexibility. For a player like AI or Gay, I could live with that. For AK47, not so much. Definitely 4 years younger.

    Then there is his injury history. 82 games is a grind and I'm not sure he can handle it.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm dreaming of a situation where New Orleans, who now only has rookie Austin Rivers as a prospective PG (Jack traded to GSW, Vasquez to europe) sign AK-47 and trade him to Toronto immediately in exchange for Calderon's expiring deal. They get a PG to bridge the gap until they have the PG of their future, and we get a stud combo-forward who is a former DPOY who will excel under a defense-first coach, plus we have a solid Euro presence on the team. With pieces like Lowry, Ross, Fields, Kiralenko, Davis, and Valanciunas we can legitimately become a great defensive team. We won't win our division with BKN, BOS, and NYK but we could land a 7 or 8 spot. If AK-47 will accept a deal that's frontloaded or is only 2 or 3 years long then I'd make the deal if available. NO can absorb money so AK-47 doesn't necessarily need to be paid $10M. I'd think $5-6M is reasonable, and certainly no contending team could offer that, but no deal beyond 3 years. Management has orchestrated the teams contract to provide flexibility in 3 years.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •