No announcement yet.

ak47 in toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Matt, is there a reason that we can go over the cap and pay tax? Also I don't understand the David West connection what does that mean?

Comment

CT2010 wrote: View Post
      Hey Matt, is there a reason that we can go over the cap and pay tax? Also I don't understand the David West connection what does that mean?
      You can only go over the salary cap with exceptions. The Raptors renounced their exceptions to use their salary cap space below the cap. You can have salary cap space below the cap or exceptions above the cap but you can't have both in the same summer. The exception to the rule is the new $2.5M room exception created in the new CBA.

David West was 30 or 31 last year when he signed a 2 year, $20M dollar contract with the Pacers. IT was a low risk, high reward contract for them. I look at AK47 at 2 years and no more than $20M the same way.

Comment

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/se...367&pp=&page=3

in all of these threads. ak-47 has been mentioned at least once. I think you get where i'm going with this...

Last edited by LBF; Tue Jul 24, 2012, 02:37 PM.
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

The more I think about this, I am not sure he would be a good move - even on a David West-like contract.

In making such an offer, the Raps would lose all future flexibility. For a player like AI or Gay, I could live with that. For AK47, not so much. Definitely 4 years younger.

Then there is his injury history. 82 games is a grind and I'm not sure he can handle it.

Comment

I'm dreaming of a situation where New Orleans, who now only has rookie Austin Rivers as a prospective PG (Jack traded to GSW, Vasquez to europe) sign AK-47 and trade him to Toronto immediately in exchange for Calderon's expiring deal. They get a PG to bridge the gap until they have the PG of their future, and we get a stud combo-forward who is a former DPOY who will excel under a defense-first coach, plus we have a solid Euro presence on the team. With pieces like Lowry, Ross, Fields, Kiralenko, Davis, and Valanciunas we can legitimately become a great defensive team. We won't win our division with BKN, BOS, and NYK but we could land a 7 or 8 spot. If AK-47 will accept a deal that's frontloaded or is only 2 or 3 years long then I'd make the deal if available. NO can absorb money so AK-47 doesn't necessarily need to be paid $10M. I'd think $5-6M is reasonable, and certainly no contending team could offer that, but no deal beyond 3 years. Management has orchestrated the teams contract to provide flexibility in 3 years.

Comment

jimmyhunter wrote: View Post
              I'm dreaming of a situation where New Orleans, who now only has rookie Austin Rivers as a prospective PG (Jack traded to GSW, Vasquez to europe) sign AK-47 and trade him to Toronto immediately in exchange for Calderon's expiring deal. They get a PG to bridge the gap until they have the PG of their future, and we get a stud combo-forward who is a former DPOY who will excel under a defense-first coach, plus we have a solid Euro presence on the team. With pieces like Lowry, Ross, Fields, Kiralenko, Davis, and Valanciunas we can legitimately become a great defensive team. We won't win our division with BKN, BOS, and NYK but we could land a 7 or 8 spot. If AK-47 will accept a deal that's frontloaded or is only 2 or 3 years long then I'd make the deal if available. NO can absorb money so AK-47 doesn't necessarily need to be paid $10M. I'd think $5-6M is reasonable, and certainly no contending team could offer that, but no deal beyond 3 years. Management has orchestrated the teams contract to provide flexibility in 3 years.
              My understanding is that a player cannot be signed-and-traded unless they were on the active roster the previous season. For example, we could not have used Weems as a sign-and-trade since he was in Europe last year.

This would mean that Kirilenko could not be used in a sign-and-trade like this.
              http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

That can't happen until December 15th.

If the Hornets want Calderon, I think they have the cap space to just take him on. Brad Miller, Dyson, and Thomas contracts are not guaranteed. That frees up nearly $6M.

The Raps could just sign AK47 themselves then.

Comment

Not immediately clear, though, is the number of teams that are part of the race or whether Kirilenko is indeed willing to play for a minimum salary a la Antawn Jamison, who recently made that sacrifice to join the Los Angeles Lakers.

Sport Express in Russia on Tuesday quoted Kirilenko saying: "I want to decide my new team before the Olympics. There are several options in the NBA, but the final choice has not been made yet."

Kirilenko also told Ria Novosti, another media outlet: "I'll continue my career in the NBA. Which club in particular, we'll know in a day or two."

One source told ESPN.com the Golden State Warriors are among the bidders for Kirilenko.

Information from ESPNNewYork.com contributor Mike Mazzeo was used in this report.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...drei-kirilenko
                  GSW only has the MLE. Then there is the question of him coming off the bench behind Barnes or starting in front.

Oh yeah, and Utah still holds his Bird Rights so they would be an option.

Comment

I'm dreaming of a situation where New Orleans, who now only has rookie Austin Rivers as a prospective PG (Jack traded to GSW, Vasquez to europe) sign AK-47 and trade him to Toronto immediately in exchange for Calderon's expiring deal. ...
                    As far as I know, Vasquez is still under contract with New Orleans. That being said, a Vasquez-for-Calderon swap might make sense for both teams. I guess it depends on how comfortable Monty Williams is with his PG situation... But if we were to pull that off, it would give us a perfect backup PG and room to potentially sign Kirilenko, or take on salary down the road.

Comment

I'll wager a 100 bucks that he ends up in Minny..They can give him a lot of cash and a guaranteed starting spot at the three. Playing, for less money and backing up Wallace in Brooklyn I don't see it. Minny has yet to make a splash and this is it...
                      -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                      -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

teams I have eliminated for various reasons

Miami - Have more wings than a box of kotex
                        Knicks - Not going to accept backing up Carmelo
                        Nets - Has 100 billion committed to four players and Gerald Wallace at 10m
                        Thunder - No need with Durant Harden, and Sefelosha on the wings
                        Lakers - Nope
                        Indiana - George and Granger
                        Memphis - Rudy Gay
                        Indiana - see Miami
                        Detroit - Prince - Charlie V - one needs to go
                        Orlando - about to explode roster and enter full rebuilding mode
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

also we could trade away Linas Kleiza and Amir Johnson for no salary back and create close to ten million that way
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Unfortunately he is announcing his return after we've already acquired a SF. Always liked Kirilenko and wished that he would be a Raptor some day but while signing him is an exciting proposition, I think BC would be wise in not doing so. It could cripple us financially. Apparently the T Wolves are offering him a 2 yr., 18 mil. contract.
                            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              All via HoopsHype.com:

Teams that are possible right now without any transaction to free up cap space assuming he signs for more than the MLE:

Minnesota
                              New Orleans
                              Cleveland
                              Adrian WojnarowskiVerified ‏@WojYahooNBA

Several league executives believe Minnesota is pursuing free agent Andrei Kirilenko. He's no longer considering Brooklyn, sources say.

Comment

The twolves really love signing cska players, they signed Shved earlier and now they're going after Kirilenko who's next Krstic?

Comment

Working...
                                X