View Poll Results: Colangelo's contract up for Renewal next year, keep him?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - give him new contract

9 31.03%
  • No - do not give him new contract

2 6.90%
  • yes - only if we make playoffs

8 27.59%
  • Keep him regardless - we're heading in the right direction

8 27.59%
  • Fire him now

2 6.90%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: To All BC fans and haters - I think BC's contract

Raptors Republic Rookie meductic's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Risk Mgmt wrote: View Post
    What would you have done different as RAPTORS GM? Think about that now!!!
    I would have probably missed the play offs 4 years in a row without an apparent plan and if you owned the team and had a lick of sense you probably would fire me now!!! ...or something like that.
    Last edited by meductic; Tue Jul 24th, 2012 at 05:09 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    None of the guys you listed have played for the Raptors yet. Stop buying the hype. Maybe they'll be great, maybe they'll be bad, but stop making these sweeping statements about guys who have yet to put on a Raptors jersey and proven themselves.
    Yup, you're right, none of these guys have played for the Raps yet. I really do not think I am "buying the hype" by saying Lowry and Fields are good defenders, and probably will play like good defenders under a defensive coach like Casey. And all I am saying about JV and Ross is that these are two draft picks who have good potential to become solid defenders.

You are saying I am making big statements about these players because I am "buying the hype", but I am making these statements based on how I feel they will play and develop with Casey. We saw the defensive improvement of this team with no added talent when Casey arrived. Now we see BC bring in a bunch of defensively gifted/capable players to play under Casey.
    Last edited by Red and White; Tue Jul 24th, 2012 at 05:23 PM.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

None of the guys you listed have played for the Raptors yet. Stop buying the hype. Maybe they'll be great, maybe they'll be bad, but stop making these sweeping statements about guys who have yet to put on a Raptors jersey and proven themselves.
    coming from the guy who thinks Alan Anderson should start. haha

Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Red and White wrote: View Post
    Yup, you're right, none of these guys have played for the Raps yet. I really do not think I am "buying the hype" by saying Lowry and Fields are good defenders, and probably will play like good defenders under a defensive coach like Casey. And all I am saying about JV and Ross is that these are two draft picks who have good potential to become solid defenders.

You are saying I am making big statements about these players because I am "buying the hype", but I am making these statements based on how I feel they will play and develop with Casey. We saw the defensive improvement of this team with no added talent when Casey arrived. Now we see BC bring in a bunch of defensively gifted/capable players to play under Casey.
    I agree. It is rather insulting to be confronted with the "buying the hype/drinking the KoolAid" phraseology. This is an opinion infused forum. To assign such reasoning to those opposed to a point of view is a lazy assed and juvenile approach to a debate.

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Did we pick up the team option the last time...I believe we did.
    Did that make any difference ....

Now the team option is available again...if the team isnt has had enough as you say MATT after soo many years of no-playoffs or what not....why bother with team option.

Trust me I'm a big BC FAN...I voting keep him as we're heading in the right direction. Pre-mature...yes
    LOL. I bet your looking forward to graduating high school next year, eh ?

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    coming from the guy who thinks Alan Anderson should start. haha
    When the other options are Fields, Kleiza and Derozan.......Alan Anderson should start

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

When the other options are Fields, Kleiza and Derozan.......Alan Anderson should start
    All of those guys are better than him... hands down

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Little premature but I'd say that the team option could be picked up.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm for picking up his option. I've been a fan of his and liked the decisions he made with the exception of Turk (yes, I think I'm one of few who thought the O'neal signing was a good decision).

He has the team moving in the right direction and I believe we're in position to possibly sign a max contract player next season if the option to do so is there. Not sure what else you could realistically ask for in a market which free agents aren't flocking to.

Post Thanks / Like

We need to keep him....considering the available options.
    Who are the NBA personnel people that will be available going into next offseason? Has a comprehensive list been compiled? You don't know what the options are until you start looking. Again, for the umpteenth time, Colangelo coming to Toronto is the perfect example of a guy going to Toronto when no one thought it would happen.

As for the broader point of picking up BC's option, the only potential argument I can accept is that we should completely ignore past performance and grade him solely on the success of the 2012 team. Any review of his full tenure here simply can't lead to a conclusion that you keep him. His record is sub-500 and he has zero playoff series wins in 6 years. In fact, his tenure is actually worse than the 6 season preceding his arrival. Was everyone happy with those 6 seasons?

I have nothing against Colangelo personally. I met him at one of those season ticket holder things years ago and he was a very engaging, personable guy. I'm sure he's a gentleman and a smart businessman. But the bottom line is that he hasn't produced. It's not all his fault but he's the boss. It's long past time to move on.

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    I have nothing against Colangelo personally. I met him at one of those season ticket holder things years ago and he was a very engaging, personable guy. I'm sure he's a gentleman and a smart businessman. But the bottom line is that he hasn't produced. It's not all his fault but he's the boss. It's long past time to move on.
    That's the problem.
    He looks good, he dresses well, he talks well and people fall in love with the image and ignore the substance.

Have we learned nothing from Sprite advertising people....image is nothing, thirst is everything.
    I thirst for a better GM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote pesterm1 wrote: View Post
    LOL. I bet your looking forward to graduating high school next year, eh ?
    What's with all the jabs lately?..

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default So

Assume for a moment,
    that everything being the same excep that Toronto is a American City. Would things be different?

Would all our GM's for all our sports team have better ability to build solid play-off bound teams?
    Toronto is the 5th or 6th largest North American City with 6Million people and growing rapidly... yet the sports scene suffers due to the stigma of being North of the Border.

Do our GM's have a harder Job to market the city to players south of the border. Do we have to pay 20% more to attract folks here as compared to other cities.

This is what BC has to deal with. But he took the JOB, he accepted the responsibility.
    It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.

Muhammad Ali

Post Thanks / Like

Assume for a moment,
    that everything being the same excep that Toronto is a American City. Would things be different?

Would all our GM's for all our sports team have better ability to build solid play-off bound teams?
    Toronto is the 5th or 6th largest North American City with 6Million people and growing rapidly... yet the sports scene suffers due to the stigma of being North of the Border.

Do our GM's have a harder Job to market the city to players south of the border. Do we have to pay 20% more to attract folks here as compared to other cities.

This is what BC has to deal with. But he took the JOB, he accepted the responsibility.
    *sigh* Here comes this discussion again.. Where's Matt52? "Winning Cures All"

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Garbo wrote: View Post
    *sigh* Here comes this discussion again.. Where's Matt52? "Winning Cures All"
    lol - am I that predictable? (rhetorical question)

There are certain discussions that I don't think I can offer any new insight or different relevant information.

This is one of them.

p.s. Winning does cure all!

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Pick up his option, but if the raps aren't a lock for the playoffs in 2013-2014 AND looking like they could go at least 2nd round in 2015 then it's time for him to move on.

and in case you forgot

WINNING CURES ALL!
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Assume for a moment,

of course that's part of the problem, but I don't see a major difference between Canada and the US that would push players away...
    Writer for RaptorsWatch.com

Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default soo

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    of course that's part of the problem, but I don't see a major difference between Canada and the US that would push players away...
    I agree with you...I myself see no difference. But this is the preconceived idea for the City of Toronto among NBA players. Ofcourse the losing culture doesnt help either. Winning probably would change things.
    It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.

Muhammad Ali

Raptors Republic Rookie meductic's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

1) He has an abysmal record
    2) Unlike Alex A every time you think you see a descernible long term plan he pulls a Brian Burke and goes for the quick fix
    3) Winning cures everything (the rest is just rationalizing and excuses)

Thread Information