Brian Colangelo uses his pull and Demar Derozan gets a confidence boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stretch wrote: View Post
    Competition for playing time might be the best thing to happen to Derozan's career with with drafting TR and adding Fields who can play the SG position. Heading into the season where Demar will become a RFA, he's at the crossroads, a make it or break it point. There is a lot of financial reward at stake so lets hope DD rises to the occasion.
    he's at the same "make it or break it" point as Ed Davis this year
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

i dunno... even with the regression last season, demar is still in the upper talent tier of the select team... even if it's the bottom of the upper level..

Comment

Seriously... Demar is starter material on this roster...

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/na...ct_roster.html

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post

I'd probably go with:

Kyrie
          DeRozan
          George
          Gibson
          Cousins

Maybe I replace DeRozan with Holiday for some shot-creating ability on the wings...

Comment

Not too many SGs in the league that are good, young, athletic and American. I think DD works just fine.

Just extra that Jerry is BC's dad.
            TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post

That's a testament to the lack of quality 2s that have come into the league over the last few years, nothing more.

If you look at actual production, DeRozan was 37th among 2s last year in win shares and 45th in PER. Now those are admittedly not anywhere close to perfect measures and those lists invariably include some combo guards, but can you even make the argument that right now DeRozan is a top-20 shooting guard in the league? I don't think you can.

Comment

A mix of both talent and convenience. I don't really care how he earned his spot on the team but more on what he takes back from it. If he comes back from the camp feeling hopeless after being dunked over by Kobe and Wade during practice, then I'd rather see him play in the Drew League for the whole summer. But if he can step up his game, then great!

Comment

Homer is as homer does

Yes, of course, there is not doubt, it's obvious, why are we even debating, there is no other chance, I am positive that DeRo got the USA invite due solely to the Colangelo connection.

Anytime I need a good chuckle, I just come to Raps Repub and read all the homer-tastic stuff guys write about Demar. He's never going to be on team USA, he's never going to be an all star, and he would not start on a playoff team. He's not a foundation piece or a building block.

His PER last season was 12.87. That was good for 220th place in the leage. He's sandwiched between Tayshaun Prince and Lavoy Allen.

A couple things to put aht 12.87 in context:

--> The main knock on PER is that it far too heavily weighs offensive performance. Demar's known as a better offensive player than defensive, so his 220th placing might actually over-value his contributions.

--> Demar's stats came on a bad team where he was given every chance to chip in or even lead the offensive attack. That 220th ranking could be inflated because for the "good stats/bad team" corollrary.

The guy is supposed to be best as a scorer and he put up 42 FG% and 21 3P%. He's allegedly a hard worker, but has not developed an outside shot on 3 NBA seasons.

Looking at basketball-reference, here are the players that display under his similarity scores section:

Raymond Felton
                  Vinny Del Negro
                  Rod Thorn
                  Quintin Dailey
                  Kelvin Ransey
                  Steve Colter
                  Jim McElroy
                  George Senesky
                  Dana Barros
                  Dick Farley

It seems like nearly all of DeRo's upside is extrapolated from his athletisim and youth, not from any real production or on-court improvements. After 3 years watching the guy, our management brought in 2 other guys that play his spot this offseason (reaching in the draft for one and badly overpaying for another).

The fact that he's getting good exposure to great players thanks to BC's daddy is the only thing to actually get excited about when it comes to Demar.

Now please, somebody tell me that I need to get my facts straight and that Demar is headed to Springfield.
                  Last edited by NoBan; Thu Jul 26, 2012, 01:07 PM.

Comment

A buddy of mine who was briefly a pro tennis player once asked me to help him practice...

it didn't mean i was on his level... or even good... it just meant i was the unlucky bugger who decided to pick up his phone that sunday morning..

pretty much the same deal

Comment

NoBan wrote: View Post
                      It seems like nearly all of DeRo's upside is extrapolated from his athletisim and youth, not from any real production or on-court improvements.
                      Very true.

I don't even think he's uber athletic. He's a slow sprinter, has little lateral quickness/agility, isn't strong...but can sometimes jump high.

Comment

Derozan has the physical gifts to succeed in the NBA. I would have no problems with describing him as athletic.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                          Derozan has the physical gifts to succeed in the NBA. I would have no problems with describing him as athletic.
                          But besides jumping high, what are those gifts?

And even his leaping ability, how often do we see him use it to his advantage?

Comment

It's the NBA, many can jump, many are fast like Derozan.

Comment

When you see derozan at the slam dunk competition its hard to deny that he has athleticism. But, when you see him defend, he appears unathletic. I think it is lack of effort on the defensive end.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that if bargnani stays healthy this will be a breakout season for demar, on both sides of the ball.

Asking him to be a number one option is too much at this stage in his career. But as a secondary option with bargnani spacing the floor and lowry penetrating i can see him get 18 to 20 pts a night. I just wish he could grab 3-4 boards a night too.
                              "Defense wins championships."

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
                                But as a secondary option with bargnani spacing the floor and lowry penetrating i can see him get 18 to 20 pts a night.
                                How can somebody with an awful jump shot benefit from floor spacing and a penetrating PG?

It's going to be the same old story with DeRo, if he decides to go to the hoop, we'll get a semi-efficient 15 to 20 pts. If he decides to not go to the hoop, we'll get a moving pilon.

The result will be very similar numbers to last year, which put him outside of the top 40 NBA wingmen.

Comment

Working...
                                X