Brian Colangelo uses his pull and Demar Derozan gets a confidence boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian Colangelo uses his pull and Demar Derozan gets a confidence boost

Now maybe this is just myself reading too much into a situation, but I am of the opinion that Jerry Colangelo being BC's father and Demar Derozan getting a chance to play on the US Select team might not just be a coincidence. I mean how hard would it be for JC to do his son a favour and get Derozan on there? Especially since he isn't going to make the actual Olympic team, its a move that can't have any blow back!

I am not saying that Derozan doesn't deserve it (though I'm not sure he does) but I think their might be more than what meets the eye at work here. Remember when Chris Bosh played for the Olympic team and came back playing at a higher level than he has ever played? It's not because of the drills that they did, or who he practiced against, I think its because of the confidence that you get knowing that you are one of the best players in the country and having that acknowledged by people who are supposed to know a lot about basketball.

Now mind you being in the US select team is a far cry from playing for the US olympic team, but it resembles that same sort of acknowledgement that you are one of the best players in the country. I think this can only benefit Demar, he will come back next year ready to go, believing that he is on the brink of becoming a star, and that can only be good for the Raptors.

Was it engineered by Brian Colangelo? Maybe, maybe not. But their is no question this move benefits the career of Derozan and hence the raptors, their is also no question that BC is in a position of influence over the president of the US olympic basketball team who would have a hand in deciding who comes to the try out. Funny how things work out that way isn't it?

Am I being too much of a conspiracy theorist here? Or do you think there is some truth to this?
    "Defense wins championships."

i think it might be a mix between skill and convenience. i mean not getting into family business or whatever, but i think it might've been Jerry who approached Bryan about DeMar. even if us raptor fans are starting to lose hope on DeRozan's growth as a player, there are a lot of people out there that still think he has a ton of potential. overall its probably just a coincidence, even if a lot of people are going to see it as you and I
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

He's going to become an all star soon. Derozan has too much talent to not

Comment

Don't get me wrong Demar has a lot of potential and has made huge strides over the last 2 years. People consider last year to sort of be a year where he stepped back a bit, but I think the fact that Bargnani was injured and other teams "locked in" more on Demar is what slowed him down.

I still think that this move was exactly what Demar needed to help him take the next step, and if BC can do anything to help facilitate that he definitely would've. The Colangelo Connection.
        "Defense wins championships."

Comment

You could think about it from DeMar's point of view too. Does he think that he deserves this or does he think that BC hooked him up? We'll probably never know (unless it's actually pointed out, but I doubt that). All in all I say it's a great thing to be part of a bigger, more skilled team. I remembered when I first played on my provincial team, I was proud representing Manitoba and being acknowledge as one of the provincials best! The down side... getting dunk on by a future NBA'er... Toby Bailey.

*update* I also forgot to mention, upside: playing the P&R with Todd McCullough LMAO!
          Last edited by RPT23; Thu Jul 26, 2012, 12:19 AM.
          #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Comment

I think the real benefit is seeing and being around the level of play that exists on the Select and Olympic teams. I'd rather see him realize the amount of work that perennial all-stars put into every aspect of the game, than to simply get an ego boost from making the team. Playing pickup games and dunking is an ego boost, hopefully this was more of a lesson and an inspiration.

Comment

No, I don't think Jerry Colangelo had anything to do with validating a move made by his son. No sir. And I'm sure there was no family influence in the decision to hire Jay Triano as an assistant coach of the US Olympic team.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                I wish I could be as sure as you, but I'm just not so sure yet.
                Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

if greg stiemsma got invited then i am fairly sure that demar derozan deserves to go

Comment

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...-highlight-mix

Comment

RPT23 wrote: View Post
                      You could think about it from DeMar's point of view too. Does he think that he deserves this or does he think that BC hooked him up? We'll probably never know (unless it's actually pointed out, but I doubt that). All in all I say it's a great thing to be part of a bigger, more skilled team. I remembered when I first played on my provincial team, I was proud representing Manitoba and being acknowledge as one of the provincials best! The down side... getting dunk on by a future NBA'er... Toby Bailey.

*update* I also forgot to mention, upside: playing the P&R with Todd McCullough LMAO!
                      Nice accomplishment for you. Good memories.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                        BIG TALENT does not always = ALL STAR

DeRozen needs to:
                        become more consistent
                        be able to score when he is the focus of the Defense
                        Use his ability to become a better defender
                        "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

Blows my mind that people are still so high on DeRozan after three years of poor production, inconsistent play, and not nearly enough improvement. I just don't get it. As of this moment he's a shooting guard that can't shoot, can't create his own shot, can't create shots for others, struggles off the bounce, struggles to drive through even a mildly congested lane and to finish through contact struggles to finish through contact (I've never seen anyone get stripped of the ball so often in my life), doesn't defend well, doesn't rebound well, and generally shows a pretty average basketball IQ. Literally the only thing he brings right now is a midrange game coming off of screens, and he still doesn't shoot a very high percentage in those situations. Oh and he gets to the line. Sometimes.

For those of you claiming he'll be an all-star this season, you're about to be in for a big shock as he'll no longer be force-fed the ball on a team with a lot more options this season. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong, but it would take huge improvements in a LOT of areas for that to happen.

Comment

Competition for playing time might be the best thing to happen to Derozan's career with with drafting TR and adding Fields who can play the SG position. Heading into the season where Demar will become a RFA, he's at the crossroads, a make it or break it point. There is a lot of financial reward at stake so lets hope DD rises to the occasion.

Comment

Yeah dude you're reading too much into it. The state of 2 guards in the NBA is the weakest it's been in years.
                              Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Working...
                              X