Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Curt Schilling - sports commentator or a socio political one

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    8,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Curt Schilling - sports commentator or a socio political one

    Seems that Schilling cannot control his urges on twitter and other social media outlets


    Oh, that Curt Schilling. If he didn’t exist, someone would have to create him specifically for this time in our cultural history.

    Has there been a more perfect match than this: the man who cannot stop himself from sharing his most recent repulsive opinion and the gift of a vast technological receptacle that can gather his thoughts and disseminate them to every single one of us?

    Had Schilling been born 30 years earlier, he would have been relegated to rants over his cereal bowl at the breakfast table, his audience the very few people on Earth who share his last name. Lucky for them, they could have gotten up and left for school or work.

    Now, using the megaphone that is part of everyone’s internet package, dear sweet Curt can reach all of us, whether we want to hear it or not.

    I think we can safely say that most of us lean toward “or not.” Even if you agree with his longings for a time that doesn’t exist anymore in this country — thoughts that I and many others find appalling, insensitive, nasty and/or downright immature, depending on his subject — Schilling has a day job, and that’s as a baseball announcer.

    So here’s my question: Why does a cable television baseball analyst believe anyone wants to hear anything he has to say beyond what’s up with someone’s slider?

    And, the logical corollary: Why does he still have a job as a cable television baseball analyst?
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...nder/83302426/


    In many ways baseball tends to be dinosaurial but I have a feeling they might have something to say about this. Espn the lapdog to the sports leagues obviously do not have a spine of their own until they are told to jump or kneel.
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?” J.M. Keynes

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Veteran Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,328
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i don't use twitter but don't you have to follow someone to "hear" them. then later when other people are complaining about it purposely read it yourself?

    wasn't he fired by an actual sports broadcasting because he said his views on their airwaves?

    as long as he uses his own personal accounts and states his own personal opinion it should be all good.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    8,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    i don't use twitter but don't you have to follow someone to "hear" them. then later when other people are complaining about it purposely read it yourself?

    wasn't he fired by an actual sports broadcasting because he said his views on their airwaves?

    as long as he uses his own personal accounts and states his own personal opinion it should be all good.
    I dont use Twitter either...I think it's a waste of time actually. I can get all of my worthwhile news fast enough the old fashioned way thanks.

    As I understand it the "freedom of speech" laws in the US (the 1st Amendment) really only applies to interactions with the government...and not private corporations. Hence, in a situation like this if ESPN believes Schilling is a detriment to their company by making certain public statements...even in his spare time, he can be fired.

    As a matter of fact this hasnt been the first time for CS & Espn...and they may even have a contract clause re him blowing off about his personal views in a public way. ESPN like other large companies have a brand to protect. It's profits & business...its that simple.

    For a better understanding of the issue see the following links...

    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/21/sp...d-by-espn.html

    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=123024596
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?” J.M. Keynes

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Veteran Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,328
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    I dont use Twitter either...I think it's a waste of time actually. I can get all of my worthwhile news fast enough the old fashioned way thanks.

    As I understand it the "freedom of speech" laws in the US (the 1st Amendment) really only applies to interactions with the government...and not private corporations. Hence, in a situation like this if ESPN believes Schilling is a detriment to their company by making certain public statements...even in his spare time, he can be fired.

    As a matter of fact this hasnt been the first time for CS & Espn...and they may even have a contract clause re him blowing off about his personal views in a public way. ESPN like other large companies have a brand to protect. It's profits & business...its that simple.

    For a better understanding of the issue see the following links...

    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/21/sp...d-by-espn.html

    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=123024596
    yeah, i am pretty sure that without an ethics clause in his contract his firing will come with some type of compensation.

    i was speaking on how i view the situation. if i were espn, i would separate myself from the issue by explaining those aren't the views of the network. that said, personally i don't care what he says.

  5. #5
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    16,877
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In America they have more free speech than Canada. If they fire him without severance or low ball him he could sue them.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    11,266
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I remember a time when athlete's didn't want to talk about anything outside of their sport. Now it seems everyone wants to share their opinions about everything.

    Retired guys are the worst. Just because you have a platform to talk about sports, doesn't mean you should use it to talk about anything and everything you feel like.

    Good riddance.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

  7. #7
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    16,877
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think that's a society thing. Everyone has three or four platforms. This is the age of extreme sensitivity and insensitivity.

  8. Like Miekenstien liked this post
  9. #8
    Raptors Republic Veteran Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,328
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/m...235308910.html

    Schilling responds. I am not sure if the cases he is pointing to are real or not but if they are it is a pretty big double standard. Might force ESPN to make sure none of their broadcasters roam away from sports.

    Sent from my HUAWEI TAG-TL00 using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    8,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/m...235308910.html

    Schilling responds. I am not sure if the cases he is pointing to are real or not but if they are it is a pretty big double standard. Might force ESPN to make sure none of their broadcasters roam away from sports.

    Sent from my HUAWEI TAG-TL00 using Tapatalk
    His examples are real I believe but not entirely comparable. He also leaves out the ever important context that some of the example comments he cites were made under. Curt's problem essentially is that he is a serial abuser of the compact he and other employees have with Espn. Both SA Smith & Kornheiser have been suspended before as well as has Schilling. Schilling however continues publicizing his political views and seems to believe he has the right to continue while being employed at Espn. I dont know that the others do/feel the same.

    Another take:

    http://deadspin.com/curt-schilling-e...-sp-1773582081
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?” J.M. Keynes

  11. #10
    Raptors Republic Superstar slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    3,732
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    His examples are real I believe but not entirely comparable. He also leaves out the ever important context that some of the example comments he cites were made under. Curt's problem essentially is that he is a serial abuser of the compact he and other employees have with Espn. Both SA Smith & Kornheiser have been suspended before as well as has Schilling. Schilling however continues publicizing his political views and seems to believe he has the right to continue while being employed at Espn. I dont know that the others do/feel the same.

    Another take:

    http://deadspin.com/curt-schilling-e...-sp-1773582081
    Wait. You're telling me that Gawker-owned Deadspin doesn't agree with Schilling? Shocking.

  12. #11
    Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    8,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Wait. You're telling me that Gawker-owned Deadspin doesn't agree with Schilling? Shocking.
    Hah. No. But was there anything specific in the link factually untrue? It wasn't all opinion....which Curt was spinning as fact and comparable to his forays on Twitter & Facebook.

    A contrarian position as well provides rebuttal. To those who may follow this subject and a bit fuzzy on the details, can make up their minds reading about opposing viewpoints. Breitbart isn't the only outlet on the web.
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?” J.M. Keynes

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •