Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Exploring Coffees

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Exploring Coffees

We have discussed whiskeys in the forum....what about coffees?

Surely we must drink more coffee than whiskey and everyday at that (for myself) if not multiple cups.

I seem to be in constant search for that elusive aroma-ed kick ass yet smooth coffee. Of course in addition to the coffee itself the brewing method can be just as important....so, what brand/type is your favourite and if you care to discuss how do you tend to brew it?

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

Currently I am brewing : Kicking Horse Coffee - Grizzly Claw ....it's a dark bean and smoky @Loblaws

Gevalia Coffee ....This is a Swedish coffee ....dark bean and strong

Jacob's Kronung .... It's a German coffee .... dark, ground @Loblaws

* The Gevalia I have sent me from the US...it maybe available at the Ikea store as well.

I mostly brew mine in a 2 cup drip filter. Keeps me going for the day. If I make multiple cups I use a stove top percolator and my coffee grind is coarser as well.

I sometimes try a mixing to create a blend. This of course is a hit & miss process.

Look forward to hearing what coffees RR gets off on!

btw...this is making the rounds...wonder if anyone has tried it...intriguing:

http://www.deathwishcoffee.com/
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?” J.M. Keynes

Post Thanks / Like

I drink lots of coffee. When kids come into the picture coffee really helps.

I have a Keurig and usually I stick to a mixed box of different coffee types that I purchase at Costco; I'm not into flavored coffees.

I have to admit, most of those aren't anything to celebrate. Espresso is what I love most but I don't have my own machine so I'll get it every now and then at the mall or wherever there's a decent coffee house.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I drink lots of coffee. When kids come into the picture coffee really helps.

I have a Keurig and usually I stick to a mixed box of different coffee types that I purchase at Costco; I'm not into flavored coffees.

I have to admit, most of those aren't anything to celebrate. Espresso is what I love most but I don't have my own machine so I'll get it every now and then at the mall or wherever there's a decent coffee house.
    Haha...know what you mean...and one cannot knock back a Courvoisier can you?...at 6 in the morning!

I love coffee but have never really taken a shine to espresso. for some reason. Did you know that Keurig is running into a bit of trouble with their business model selling the hockey puck (?) coffee machine sales? Flavoured coffees are out for me...as are perfumes actually...so there must be a connection (allergies possibly).
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?” J.M. Keynes

Post Thanks / Like

My Keurig actually bit the dust this morning. Oh the timing after just posting here. I didn't realize they were in financial trouble as a company.

For me with the flavoured coffees its the artificial flavourings and aspartame. Plus I drink coffee for the natural coffee flavor.

If you want a nice "gateway" drink into the world of espresso then I'd highly recommend you ordering an Americano next time you're at a coffee house. Actually I'd recommend that anyway because it's one of my favourite things in the world. Basically it's a shot or two of espresso mixed with hot water. The result is a drink that, to me anyway, is essentially a regular coffee only far more enjoyable. I drink them black or with a small hit of sugar. You get the espresso flavor, only not as in your face and plus you have much more to sip on.

5. Like Bendit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    We have discussed whiskeys in the forum....what about coffees?

Surely we must drink more coffee than whiskey and everyday at that (for myself) if not multiple cups.

I seem to be in constant search for that elusive aroma-ed kick ass yet smooth coffee. Of course in addition to the coffee itself the brewing method can be just as important....so, what brand/type is your favourite and if you care to discuss how do you tend to brew it?

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

Currently I am brewing : Kicking Horse Coffee - Grizzly Claw ....it's a dark bean and smoky @Loblaws

Gevalia Coffee ....This is a Swedish coffee ....dark bean and strong

Jacob's Kronung .... It's a German coffee .... dark, ground @Loblaws

* The Gevalia I have sent me from the US...it maybe available at the Ikea store as well.

I mostly brew mine in a 2 cup drip filter. Keeps me going for the day. If I make multiple cups I use a stove top percolator and my coffee grind is coarser as well.

I sometimes try a mixing to create a blend. This of course is a hit & miss process.

Look forward to hearing what coffees RR gets off on!

btw...this is making the rounds...wonder if anyone has tried it...intriguing:

http://www.deathwishcoffee.com/
    Have you tried Kicking Horse Kick Ass? A little more bold than the Grizzly Claw but I like both.

We take a Hawaii vacation nearly every winter. I always bring home a good supply of 100% Kona beans, the ultimate coffee IMHO. A couple brands we live are Greenwell Farms and Hualalai.

7. Like Bendit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote danno wrote: View Post
    Have you tried Kicking Horse Kick Ass? A little more bold than the Grizzly Claw but I like both.

We take a Hawaii vacation nearly every winter. I always bring home a good supply of 100% Kona beans, the ultimate coffee IMHO. A couple brands we live are Greenwell Farms and Hualalai.
    Have a cannister of Kick Ass...waiting to break her open

Can one get the 2 other brand names in Ontario/Toronto?

Raptors Republic Superstar JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of the best coffees roasters in the GTA: Pig Iron, Propeller, Social, Pilot, De Mello, Cut. But if you're looking for dark (bold) roasts, they won't be for you.
    "Stop eating your sushi."
    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
    - Jack Armstrong

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I drink a lot of coffee.... but I like a mix of types. It really depends on my mood.

Speaking of which.... if you really enjoy coffee during the later part of the day, go with decaf. It'll give you the buzz you need, but not too much that it'll make you stay awake all night. ^~^
    Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Katherynne73 wrote: View Post
    Well, I drink a lot of coffee.... but I like a mix of types. It really depends on my mood.

Speaking of which.... if you really enjoy coffee during the later part of the day, go with decaf. It'll give you the buzz you need, but not too much that it'll make you stay awake all night. ^~^
    I like mixing as well since I tend to experiment and dont alway's hit upon a great/good standalone always! So, mixing becomes a necessity rather than throwaway. But I do tend to go for the dark roast. Also it is my morning "drug" and rare during rest of the day.

Thankfully I haven't had to resort to decaf...yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Have a cannister of Kick Ass...waiting to break her open

Can one get the 2 other brand names in Ontario/Toronto?
    No but if you go to the Greenwell Coffee website, they will ship anywhere. The 100% Kona Medium Roast is outstanding.

13. Like Bendit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote danno wrote: View Post
    No but if you go to the Greenwell Coffee website, they will ship anywhere. The 100% Kona Medium Roast is outstanding.
    This is not the Greenwell brand or roast of course but I found an outfit selling Kona & Blue mountain bean w/free shipping...wondering if you are familiar with it? The cost is comparable.

http://www.cafesvolcanik.com/en/

Post Thanks / Like

This is not the Greenwell brand or roast of course but I found an outfit selling Kona & Blue mountain bean w/free shipping...wondering if you are familiar with it?

http://www.cafesvolcanik.com/en/
    Not familiar but it is pretty hard for a roaster to screw up 100% Kona beans. Just be warned about Kona blends, they are often only 10% Kona beans. If it doesn't say 100% Kona, it is likely 10 %.

Post Thanks / Like

So I'm back to grinding my own coffee after my Keurig bit the bullet. I don't think I'll ever go back to those systems again. Right now I'm on a simple bag of east coast roast from Jumping Bean. I like it.

Post Thanks / Like

This is definitely in the "Did you know" category...what is the most expensive coffee in the world...and more unusual...how it is produced?

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2010/08...d-is-made.html

Post Thanks / Like

This is definitely in the "Did you know" category...what is the most expensive coffee in the world...and more unusual...how it is produced?

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2010/08...d-is-made.html
    I did know this actually! Not sure why.. since I don't drink Coffee ... but ya, really interesting stuff!

File this under the "Who was the first person to actually try it" mysteries.

19. Like Bendit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh you poor deprived person! Don't partake in one of the more accessible pleasures? Are you affected negatively by it?

Raptors Republic Superstar JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bendit, not to poo-poo your contribution here, but if you ever come across this coffee, don't indulge. There's widespread, heinous abuse committed against the animals to produce it. Also - it isn't even that good. I haven't tried it myself, but that's the unanimous opinion amongst coffee snobs. It's only expensive because it's a novelty.
    "Stop eating your sushi."
    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
    - Jack Armstrong

Post Thanks / Like

Oh you poor deprived person! Don't partake in one of the more accessible pleasures? Are you affected negatively by it?
    Hah I do have IBS, so I'm not supposed to drink it, but to be honest I really just don't like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Joey wrote: View Post
    Hah I do have IBS, so I'm not supposed to drink it, but to be honest I really just don't like it.
    Sorry...that's too bad...hope the condition is otherwise not too restrictive. Just as well it's a turn-off

Post Thanks / Like

Quote JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    Bendit, not to poo-poo your contribution here, but if you ever come across this coffee, don't indulge. There's widespread, heinous abuse committed against the animals to produce it. Also - it isn't even that good. I haven't tried it myself, but that's the unanimous opinion amongst coffee snobs. It's only expensive because it's a novelty.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information