2012 Off-Season Report Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Off-Season Report Card

It's about time to officially grade the off-season. So please answer the poll, grading from the end of the regular season to now.

If you care to share, also tell us what were your favorite moments and your least favorite moments.
    100%
    4.55%
    95%
    3.03%
    90%
    4.55%
    85%
    19.70%
    80%
    25.76%
    75%
    24.24%
    70%
    12.12%
    60%
    4.55%
    50%
    1.52%
    Fail
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

favorite moment was getting Lowry hands down and being on the good end of a trade. Least favourite moment is everyone bitching about landry fields contract. Let the guy show us what he's got under a system that will actually use him. Should be interesting year and I'm very excited to see our two rookies, i have a good feeling about them. (JV and Ross.... Acy i like but will have a small if any impact this year minus his intangibles in the locker room and at practice.)

Comment

I gave them a 75%.

For me the best moment was when Adam Silver said Quincy, unfortunately the worst moment was when he said Acy.

Comment

I'd give us a solid B for the off season. Good infusion of talent for this coming season, but can't grade any higher without the addition of All Star type players.

Favourite moment would have to be signing Lowry, as well. One of BC's best moves considering what it cost. Least favourite would be the Acy pick. Not sure why you would use a pick on an udersized big with JV, Gray, Ed, Amir, Bargs and Kleiza already on the roster. Especially with Quincy Miller available or we could have used the pick on a
        3rd string PG like Machado, Tyshawn Taylor or Doron Lamb as well and not have to have signed JL3 who I'm not a fan of. Still happy with the off season though.

Comment

bonus for lowry over nash.

wouldve liked to see a splash by the way of AI or Gay, but our wait and see approach is fine with the hopes that the 2 and 3 pan out to be half decent.

wish we could peacefully go into the season with a potential forderon version 2.0 x 10, hopefully we get something in return besides a TPE is caldy is not happy.

No gapping holes in our lineup with lots of potential.
          85% to the boys, excited for the season!
          Entourage: Harvey - "E (BC) was right, there's genius in this (Bargnani)"
          Ari - "You wanna buy it?"
          Harvey - "I do, for a dollar"

Comment

I had originally gave them a B-, which I guess would be 70%. Nash not signing with us was a bummer, but that was more Nash than the Raptors.

Biggest regret was that they didn't move up in the draft. I don't see us tanking as hard as we did last year so I think that was our best opportunity to draft a stud. I like Ross, but I would have preferred MKG or Barnes. I think trading up somehow even if that meant trading DeMar would have been a good move. Acy was an odd draft choice, and really bummed out that they didn't draft Machado.

Happy with Lowry.. just didn't think a PG was that important at this particular time. Not happy that we didn't get a stud SF yet.. however that could change by mid-season.

So-so on the Fields signing. I think we're paying too much for potential. I really do like his character, and his girl friend is super hot (a bonus would be if TSN/SN created an Elaine Alden Cam). Also unfortunate that we lost both the MLE and the TPE. That could have netted us more assets.

Comment

85%. I'm grading on changes to the roster, not on whether Colangelo looked like he had a good plan that he was following. Nash pursuit was a bad idea and distraction from the guy who should have been #1 target all along, but Colangelo got lucky in paying a price for Lowry that was likely lower than the price on draft day. Not crazy about Fields' contract, but don't hate it either, and he'll improve the team. Like the Ross and Acy picks, given what was available at the time.

Worst moment: praying that Golden State would pick Drummond, but knowing deep down that they were taking Barnes.
              Best moment: seeing the final confirmation on Lowry's deal. I kept worrying that something would go wrong before it was finalized.

Comment

80! Least fav moment: Finding out Nash was going to my most hated team.
                Fav moment: Lowry make up trade that could even ending being better.

For me they lost some marks on how the Fields thing backfired. No matter how you spin it, no one was gonna offer him anything close to that.
                Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

KingMaxwell47 wrote: View Post
                  I gave them a 75%.

For me the best moment was when Adam Silver said Quincy, unfortunately the worst moment was when he said Acy.
                  Haha, that's exactly what happened to me. Soon as I heard Quincy I got up and started celebrating in the living room. Then I went to go get a liquid beverage in celebration. Got back, sat down, and I saw the beard. I was pretty disappointed lol.

Comment

Without seeing the new team/acquisitions play at least 20 games, grading the off season moves right now seems premature. Besides, the off-season is not really over and there is still the possibility that Jose gets moved in which case significant cap room gets freed or a player may come back in a trade.

ps...I understand that it's the doldrums....

However, least fav moment...Nash saying "no". Good moment....Lowry trade.

Comment

I have to rock the "Incomplete"

I don't think the off season is finished.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        I have to rock the "Incomplete"

I don't think the off season is finished.
                        yep
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Ryan Wolstat ‏@WolstatSun

#Raptors will complete roster soon with Alan Anderson (vet minimum) and Aaron Gray (room mini-mid-level, $2.5M) Leaving 15th spot open 4 now
                          I guess when AA and Gray are signed, that is the end of 'planned' roster moves. Maybe before training camp Magloire is resigned?

I have a feeling not much gets done in the league until the Dwama has sorted itself out.

I don't want to fill in the poll because, again, I don't think the summer is complete.... or should I say I am hoping the summer is not complete?

But I'll say here now based on the additions of 2014 2nd round pick from SAC, JV, Ross, Lowry, JL3, and Fields plus expected resigning of Gray and AA combined with loss of Bayless, JJ, and Forbes I give the summer a healthy 75-80%. As of now flexibility still remains moving forward should an opportunity presents itself. If an upper tier SF was added, easily 85-90%.

So for those letterly-inclined - B as of now and an A should the upper tier SF hit the roster prior to training camp.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            But I'll say here now based on the additions of 2014 2nd round pick from SAC, JV, Ross, Lowry, JL3, and Fields plus expected resigning of Gray and AA combined with loss of Bayless, JJ, and Forbes I give the summer a healthy 75-80%. As of now flexibility still remains moving forward should an opportunity presents itself. If an upper tier SF was added, easily 85-90%.

So for those letterly-inclined - B as of now and an A should the upper tier SF hit the roster prior to training camp.
                            Pretty much explains my logic for the 75%. If that SF were added I'd give it a high mark, and if the execution had been better (ie. go after Lowry or non-Nash player foremost via trade or whatever, but commit to use bulk of resources going after SF from the start) I would have given an 80%. But I'm willing to vote because I'm not convinced a trade happens before the season, mostly because I don't think Dwight's going anywhere before season's start.

Comment

I agree with Matt, the off season isn't over yet, not by a long shot. That being said I'm giving them Incompletes for Ross and Acy and Landry. We know Landry can ball the question is if he hit his glass ceiling y1 (on a pretty poor knicks team) and has come back to earth (or was it all melos fault?). I don't care about the contract because I happen to believe that a back loaded contract makes for valuable trade ballast in the final year, especially as the new tax laws come into effect.

Lowry was a great get but was Point our most pressing need? I kinda feel like the raps didn't have any scoring options for a pass first PG like JC to utilize (despite his fantastic dime dropping rate) so they "solved" the problem by getting a "get minez" pg. I love a lot of what KL brings to the table buuuuuut....

Where the Fushnick is our perimeter scoring coming from??? Has Demar learned to dribble or finish yet? We have great options at 4&5 on the pnr or pnp but where's the 3 point shooting (aka spacing) coming from that will free up the eurobeast that is now our front court? I don't get it and feel, at this point, we are still a full season of BS away from being a threat in the East.
                              Last edited by minks77; Fri Jul 27, 2012, 05:01 PM.
                              LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X