Jose Calderon + Olympics = Increased Asset Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose Calderon + Olympics = Increased Asset Value

Good performance by Jose at the games can revive trade talks with various teams and I hope its Philly for Igoudala.
    Sooner the better I think for everyone...move on.

Games should have an impact on his value to some degree and I hope its a positive one for the Raptors to take advantage of. No matter what happens to Jose in London He will not be the starter for the Toronto Raptors next season. No matter what Jose Calderon wants out of Toronto. Sooner the better.

Regardless BC needs to work the phones sooner rather than later.

BTW: Spanish Team has more talent (hint hint to BC) than the roster of the Toronto Raptors.

Peace
    It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.

Muhammad Ali

I'll play the devil's advocate for a sec here and say, an injury can affect that value as well. If we can't trade him, then I'm hoping he remains healthy this summer. In years past Jose's international play has had an affect on his regular season stamina and some felt had also led to injuries as well. As he gets older, he stands a greater chance in hurting himself.

Comment

Doc said it best.. Jose+spain=likely injury & decreased value..i would have hoped hed be moved by now if that was the raps intent...time will tell i guess.. but those who dont learn from past mistakes are bound to repeat them..in this case BC getting stuck with an injured calderon with no trade value...
      Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Fri Jul 27, 2012, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
        I'll play the devil's advocate for a sec here and say, an injury can affect that value as well. If we can't trade him, then I'm hoping he remains healthy this summer. In years past Jose's international play has had an affect on his regular season stamina and some felt had also led to injuries as well. As he gets older, he stands a greater chance in hurting himself.
        Looking through his injury history after years of international competition (and no lock out to rest up!), it seems late November/December is when the nagging injuries start - and linger!

Comment

I like Jose.. but I think by now he's not going to surprise anyone. He's a 30 year old vet at this point. Most GM's will know what Jose would do for them despite how well he does or doesn't plays in the Olympics.

My concern is the one that Doc has and that he gets injured thus having a big contract on the books and not much to show for it. Hopefully that doesn't happen. He did play a majority of the games last year despite it being a shortened season. So he may come out of the Olympics with out an injury. Let's hope.

Comment

Injury bug

I just want this chapter to be closed soon. Hopefully we can get something of value back.

Whats happening in Chicago at the PG position? Would they be a trading partner
            It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.

Muhammad Ali

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
              I tend to agree, and that's why the Lowry move was extra significant this year. If Jose stays healthy, a backup role should be pretty easy for him stamina-wise this year. Not sure what it does to his trade value. It may make him more desirable, but it may not result in better offers.

Comment

Also, I'm not sure why Philly would want Jose when Jrue Holiday's their starter. Not sure they'd be willing to trade a starter for a backup in the summer. If they need a backup like Jose to get them over the hump for the playoffs, why would they trade a starter who's a key piece for them? Unless somehow the Youngs and Turner actually legitimately take minutes from Iggy, I don't see it happening.

Can anyone think of a realistic trade scenario for Calderon?????? Somehow I feel another trade exception coming...

Comment

Risk Mgmt wrote: View Post
                  I just want this chapter to be closed soon. Hopefully we can get something of value back.

I doubt it. Although Jose is better than the guards they have to tie them over until Rose gets back there's a "fit" question, as in "does Jose FIT Tibs style"? I'd say No. JC is a polar opposite PG from DR and Casey's system was designed to shore up weakness' whereas Tibs is based on taking maximum pride and giving max effort in guarding your man or helping off of him.

Second issue is who do we get back? Deng? For real? really real? I like Deng but he is not what this team needs, nor are we what he needs at this point in his career. That would leave Gibson but he, if I'm not mistaken, cannot be traded until January. Everyone else on the roster is unwanted (IMO) or untouchable.

I would also prefer some kind of Philly deal but Jrue is the pg they've hung their hat on, for better or worse, so I can't see them excited about paying 10 mill for a back up just to have the same issue (lack of a quality back up) next off season when JC moves to a team he has a legit chance to start on (hello Grizzlies/Mavs/CHA etc)
                  LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    Also, I'm not sure why Philly would want Jose when Jrue Holiday's their starter. Not sure they'd be willing to trade a starter for a backup in the summer. If they need a backup like Jose to get them over the hump for the playoffs, why would they trade a starter who's a key piece for them? Unless somehow the Youngs and Turner actually legitimately take minutes from Iggy, I don't see it happening.

Can anyone think of a realistic trade scenario for Calderon?????? Somehow I feel another trade exception coming...
                    Calderon would be expensive but the 76ers do need a backup PG.... unless you count Royal Ivey (which I don't! lol).

Holiday can play some 2-guard.

The main thing though is he is an expiring contract.

It seems that all of Philly's moves are being geared towards having A LOT of flexibility for next summer. Trading AI frees up another $15.9M for next year.

Comment

Risk Mgmt wrote: View Post

The Bulls have only 11 players on the roster so more roster moves are coming. They did draft Marquis Teague who is likely going to see minutes off the bench as pg.

Comment

the raps have officially signed John Lucas III & according to Ryan Wolstat we will soon resign Aaron Gray & Alan Anderson

http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/2012...john-lucas-iii

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
                          I doubt it. Although Jose is better than the guards they have to tie them over until Rose gets back there's a "fit" question, as in "does Jose FIT Tibs style"? I'd say No. JC is a polar opposite PG from DR and Casey's system was designed to shore up weakness' whereas Tibs is based on taking maximum pride and giving max effort in guarding your man or helping off of him.
                          That sounds alot more like expectations out of a player than a 'system'.

No matter what one thinks of Jose's ability to defend or play in general you are going to get max pride and effort out of him each and every night so in that sense he fits perfectly.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                            That sounds alot more like expectations out of a player than a 'system'.

No matter what one thinks of Jose's ability to defend or play in general you are going to get max pride and effort out of him each and every night so in that sense he fits perfectly.
                            ya.. jose def. gives it his all everytime he hits the floor. nobody can argue that fact.. hes just not quick enough to guard 1on1..he plays very good team defence though.. hes always trying to stear players toward help, has active hands.. DC showed last yer that jose's flaws can be masked by good team defence..id think jose would benefit from playing with the bulls but unless we get deng i just dont see him going there

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
                              While I agree with you that Jose will not/should not be traded to Chicago (because there is little from them we can have or want to have from their roster) but I totally disagree that Jose would not "fit" with that team. Sure, defensively he is dismal but with a good defensive coach, and talented defenders behind him, that can be managed. I just think Jose would work wonders with the talented scorers in their starting 5 (Rip, Boozer, even Deng and Noah). He is an expiring contract too for them, which is ideal seeing as if it does not work out, they get a nice cap boost to work with and then just have Rose take over. But, once again, they do not have much we would want.

Comment

Working...
                              X