As to the trade rumours .. can we please stop talking about Jose for [insert all-star/borderline all star player]? We will get a late first rounder or 2nd rounder (the same thing we could have got at best if we traded him last year) if we are lucky. We just about amnestied him.
If we get an AI or RG in a trade, it wont be because Jose impresses someone in the olympics .. it will be because of what else we include in the deal (think DD, young assets or picks)
Calderon is a big expiring contract and DeRozan could also be considered an expiring contract.
Ed Davis could play solid and become a desirable commodity given his rookie contract.
The only draft picks the Raps can deal are 2nd round picks - their own '13 and '14 and SAC's '14.
IMO there is just too much variability to trade calderon before the trade deadline next season.
1. Can lowry even effectively run this group? probably, but unless an enticing offer was put on the table it would be nice to have jose as a security blanket if lowry doesn't make the players around him better.
2.Do we need a SF like iguodala? or is derozan effective?
3. Is terrence ross a bust/worth investing time in? iff ross is a bust, is derozan suitable to keep playing SG?
4. Does bargnani avoid injury? and consistenly play both sides of the ball? does ed davis become good enough to replace bargnani?
To answer those questions and evaluate the talent/improvent in the squad is going to take some time. We don't know yet if we need to pursue iguodala/gay and we don't know whether we need calderon more than we think.
Wouldn't another pg need to be involved in a trade of JC? I hate the idea of JL3 being our primary back up.
What would be the implications if the Raptors keep Jose, let his contract expire and sign him to a much cheaper contract?
It would be nice if they could trade him and use the MLE to sign him next summer - assuming the contract coming back in the trade is desirable and caps the Raps out.
1. He would only cost the acquring team less than 1/2 year of salary to clear $10M of salary cap. Not 1.5yrs of salary, like last season. Not a small number, in terms of salary paid or cap flexibility.
2. As people pointed out, the CBA changes make it even tougher to preserve trade/cap flexibility going forward (e.g. S&Ts)
3. The Jose amnesty situation was only considered in the context of the going-all-in for Nash, and even so, that would have been a last resort.
4. Inevitably there will be injuries and playoff bound teams are always looking to shore up at the trade deadline, especially at PG. Jose would be an awesome rent-a-player for the stretch run and playoffs. Way better than, say, Derrick Fisher for OKC last year.
5. This year's draft is supposedly weaker than last year, which means a late first rounder this year should be equal to a mid-first rounder next year, or something like that.
6. The Knicks always implode and make a desperation trade out of overreaction. Jose has some similarities to Nash, and would fit perfectly onto that roster.
WRT injury -I don't see a problem if he is tired after the Olympics. He won't need to play a lot anyways.
In a dream scenario Jose in final vs US makes Spain look good & take it to the wire. Jose's value skyrockets.
IMO DoNDaDDa makes some excellent point. Lets look at what Jose does positive. He is likely to lead a very good Spanish national team to a medal. In addition, this year he will be a backup, meaning facing (playing D) against second stringers where his D won't be as nearly as bad & he can shine more on offence (pick & roll with Amir & Val...).
I don't see Bulls as a good fit currently. NO & Sac maybe. I don't see Jimmer as a PG. IMO he might be a slightly more effective JJ Redick off the bench.
T Wolves -I am not sure what they have. There does not seem to be a long term plan/commitment.
In the end, I don't think Raps have to do anything with Jose now. Maybe in Feb, IFF a good team gets an injury to its starter. Worse case scenario, we have an expiring contract next year.
Watching the AUS-ESP game and while they were showing some closeups, I saw that Jose has some stitches on his eye.
Eye injury from a few months ago still bothering him?
4 n 3 for Jose .. not exactly lightin things up here ..
theres more ball movement in fiba ball, its rare for players to have gaudy assist numbers.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)