Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: The Hobbit: Now a Trilogy

  1. #1
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6,735
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default The Hobbit: Now a Trilogy

    Not sure if any of you guys are Big Fans of J.R.R.Tolkien (and as an extension, Peter Jackson), but I am ridiculously Pumped for these movies.
    The Hobbit was likely the First book that Showed me 'the power of reading'.
    J.R.R.Tolkien literally taught Millions of kids (Adults even) how to imagine whole other Worlds.

    With the Entire Rings series becoming a Double Trilogy ala Star Wars, I see these movies going down in History as some of the finest Films ever created.


    Haven't watched all of these "Production Blogs" yet, but I certainly will be making a point of it.



    Apparently the Movie is being shot in 48FPS (as opposed to 24FPS which is Industry Norm) becoming the first Film to do so (this is a lie. Apparently Avatar was the first); not entirely sure what the implications of such a move will be. I can't really tell the difference.

    Last edited by Joey; Mon Jul 30th, 2012 at 02:30 PM.
    "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,795
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Not sure if any of you guys are Big Fans of J.R.R.Tolkien (and as an extension, Peter Jackson), but I am ridiculously Pumped for these movies.
    The Hobbit was likely the First book that Showed me 'the power of reading'.
    J.R.R.Tolkien literally taught Millions of kids (Adults even) how to imagine whole other Worlds.
    although, i was actually disappointed with Peter Jackson's trilogy... i agree with your sentiment about Tolkien... i think i was 6 or 7 the first time i read the Hobbit... and it's still my favourite book to this day..

    i'm skeptical about them breaking it into 3 movies though.... it's not as grandiose a story as LOTR... it really doesnt need to be 3 movies... one 3 hour long movie should be more than sufficient...

    kinda stinks of milking the cow's teet to me..

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,339
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I loved Tolkein's Trilogy and the Hobbit and was absolutely knocked out by the movie version of LOTR. Went Christmas Day afternoon, with the family, for three years in a row to see them when they were initially released. Have watched a couple of times since and will likley buy the "Collector's Edition, with 10 hours of behind the scenes footage" that will inevitably be released the month before the Hobbit hit's the theatres.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6,735
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    although, i was actually disappointed with Peter Jackson's trilogy... i agree with your sentiment about Tolkien... i think i was 6 or 7 the first time i read the Hobbit... and it's still my favourite book to this day..
    Disappointed?! Really? Whoa. Not sure I've ever heard that. I loved them dearly.

    I'm skeptical about them breaking it into 3 movies though.... it's not as grandiose a story as LOTR... it really doesnt need to be 3 movies... one 3 hour long movie should be more than sufficient...

    kinda stinks of milking the cow's teet to me..
    I felt the same way at first; however, after hearing that it was Peter Jacksons idea, and that he wanted to use some of the Appendices and other Middle Earth elements from the MANY other Tolkien books, I have no doubt he will do Justice to the Story, while making a few more bucks for Warner Bros/MGM, and giving us more Drugs to use .. I mean movies .. to see.


    Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    I loved Tolkein's Trilogy and the Hobbit and was absolutely knocked out by the movie version of LOTR. Went Christmas Day afternoon, with the family, for three years in a row to see them when they were initially released. Have watched a couple of times since and will likley buy the "Collector's Edition, with 10 hours of behind the scenes footage" that will inevitably be released the month before the Hobbit hit's the theatres.
    Went every year as well. Still can't believe its been almost 10 years since The Return of the King!

    I've spent the Entire Year and a Half I've been with my girlfriend trying to convince her to watch All 3 Extended Directors Editions - in a row. Has yet to be accomplished.

    But it sounds like we feel the same way about the films.
    "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,795
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Disappointed?! Really? Whoa. Not sure I've ever heard that. I loved them dearly.
    dont get me wrong... they were beautifully well made movies....

    but god damn.... like 9 hours of them walking... a couple hours of action... the ending followed by the other ending followed by the other ending followed by the other ending over and over again... it's like jackson couldn't decide what he wanted for dessert, so he just ordered EVERY dessert... and ate them all despite how gut wrenching it was to experience

    i always had a bad taste in my mouth from the start though... when jackson skipped the barrows where Merry gets his sword.. and then he killed the witch-king with some other regular horse people sword...

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,339
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    ... it's like jackson couldn't decide what he wanted for dessert, so he just ordered EVERY dessert... .
    Jackson produced a movie experience which was truer to the book it originated from than any other movie I have ever seen. What he could do was limited by the book. All the walking involved time for dialogue that was critical for providing the backstory. The movie was also true to the atmosphere, pace, design and look of the world Tolkein created.

    Plus the acting was great.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,795
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    what you quoted of mine.... i was specifically commenting on the ending

    it was like, "okay... this is the logical ending... credits tim...... OH WAIT.. there's another ending!.... ok it's over no.... NOPE! another ending..... finally, it's all ov.... WHAT THE HELL!?!?! ANOTHER ending?!!?"

    the "dessert" i was referring to were the multiple "endings to the meal" of LOTR, if you will..

    it was like, after all those hours upon hours of fantastic cinematography.... and dude couldn't wrap his head around giving it a conclusive ending

    next to the ewok party at the end of return of the jedi.... it was one of the biggest "what the f#?#?" endings to a masterpiece

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North York, ON
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Seriously Peter Jackson, there's only so much movie you can squeeze out of ~300 pages...
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

    NEVER FORGET... NUMERO OCHO 👌 #saluteJose

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Peter Jackson has never been able to make up his mind about an ending.

    After that shit he pulled with the lovely bones. Ugh, worst ending I've ever seen. I literally yelled into the pillow for five minutes afterwards. Fuck, I had to take a shower to rinse off the disgust.

    Heavenly Creatures well visually beautiful and good performances. Was so fucking trippy and not in like a fun "fear and loathing..." type of trippy. Just as draggy as shit, and it even took forever at the end for them to murder the mom.

    That's not even a spoiler because that's the only reasin you sit through the film. Than the absolute ending resolves nothing.

    He has no clue how to conclude a movie and you get nothing out of the "journey" parts of most of his movies if you aren't high.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6,735
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just bought my advance tickets for the Hobbit!! SOOO pumped!

    I love this whole UltrAVX; you can pick your seats!
    "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,795
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    you may want to take gravol before you go

    http://www.uproxx.com/gammasquad/201...make-you-barf/

  12. #12
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6,735
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    you may want to take gravol before you go

    http://www.uproxx.com/gammasquad/201...make-you-barf/
    Ya I read about that FPS stuff as well. Not sure what to think.. felt like alot of people were saying that about 3D in general as well.

    Seems like just as many people are saying the footage is the most Stunning stuff they've ever seen. Will be super disappointed if it is as bad as they say.
    "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,795
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Ya I read about that FPS stuff as well. Not sure what to think.. felt like alot of people were saying that about 3D in general as well.

    Seems like just as many people are saying the footage is the most Stunning stuff they've ever seen. Will be super disappointed if it is as bad as they say.
    Depends on the person I guess.... personally, I'm prone to motion sickness... I've always been sketchy at best with shaky cams, 3D, first person shooters, etc

    I'm pretty sure it'll make me puke

    I'm waiting till it's on a smaller screen somewhere

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't know if any of you frequebt the IMDb Message Boards.

    But, The Hobbit board is insane right now. There's people who are like yes, so pumped. Peter Jackson is god!

    Than there is "fuck Peter Jackson,fuck The Hobbit, and fuck you!"

    It'll make your head spin.

  15. #15
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6,735
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    I don't know if any of you frequebt the IMDb Message Boards.

    But, The Hobbit board is insane right now. There's people who are like yes, so pumped. Peter Jackson is god!

    Than there is "fuck Peter Jackson,fuck The Hobbit, and fuck you!"

    It'll make your head spin.
    Hahaha Isn't that just like any other Message Board?
    Although I can imagine it being a little more .. intense? Tolkien geeks are the geekiest of them all. I should know. I'm a reformed Tolkien geek .. letting it all out when I go see it though on Sunday!! GLOYVEN!
    "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ya, that's what i thought.

    Than, i visited it.

    It's worse than the Chris Nolan board.

  17. #17
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6,735
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Epic movie. SOO good. 10/10.

    And the 3D HFR is VERY nice to look at. Never seen 3D so incredibly smooth and natural.
    "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,025
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Epic movie. SOO good. 10/10.

    And the 3D HFR is VERY nice to look at. Never seen 3D so incredibly smooth and natural.
    Went last night. Can't be quite so bullish on it.

    It is way, way too long. Way too long. And, the entire movie is basically a setup for the next two movies..... The Hobbit was a short, fun, childrens' adventure novel. This movie stretched the book to its limits and way beyond and it's not even half done yet.

    The Hobbit would have been a great 2.5 hour movie but Jackson seems intent on re-making the Lord of the Rings and the studio execs want the extra cash. It's too bad cause the movie looks great and technically it's pretty awesome but the plot is meandering and maddeningly slow jammed up with pointless and repititive action scenes.

    If you're a Tolkien fan you'll like it but it doesn't have the appeal of the LOTR films.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,795
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Went last night. Can't be quite so bullish on it.

    It is way, way too long. Way too long. And, the entire movie is basically a setup for the next two movies..... The Hobbit was a short, fun, childrens' adventure novel. This movie stretched the book to its limits and way beyond and it's not even half done yet.

    The Hobbit would have been a great 2.5 hour movie but Jackson seems intent on re-making the Lord of the Rings and the studio execs want the extra cash. It's too bad cause the movie looks great and technically it's pretty awesome but the plot is meandering and maddeningly slow jammed up with pointless and repititive action scenes.

    If you're a Tolkien fan you'll like it but it doesn't have the appeal of the LOTR films.
    this is what i was worried most about...

    i'm a HUGE hobbit fan... it has always been my favourite book, despite it being the first novel i ever read to completion..

    it's an intimate self contained story... LOTR is a grandiose epic

    ideally, the hobbit should have been something on the scale of the princess bride

    i'll still watch it... but, i have a feeling stretching out the narrative way beyond it's stretching point is going to ruin it for me

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North York, ON
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just watched it.

    I'm going to start calling it "The Hoooooooooooooooobbiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttt" just because of how unnecessarily drawn out it was.
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

    NEVER FORGET... NUMERO OCHO 👌 #saluteJose

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •