No announcement yet.

According to Slam: Raptors among five teams to make a huge jump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assuming no major injuries, I'm going 38-44 and an 8th seed.

TheNBAGeek.com comparison engine gives the 11 players with NBA experience currently under contract a collective 33.7 wins produced. I am going to assume Acy adds 0.3, Ross adds 1.5, and JV adds 2.5 to reach 38.

Assuming Bargnani can remain healthy and be more like the player he showed in about 17 games versus the other 14 that will likely add wins (versus the negative he currently is). Considering in 2010-11 Bargnani produced a negative 6.4 wins (I guess that would be a positive 6.4 losses produced) having him go positive is not out of the question. DeRozan not having to be the focal point of the offense might improve his efficiency and take him positive in the wins produced as well. The Raps then might be pushing .500!

And good Lord don't get me started if Fields returns to the 11.6 wins he produced in 2010-11 as a rookie and Lowry goes back to 9.3. Could they be plus .500?!?!?! I have to calm down here.

Considering the collective 38 wins from the roster in 2010-11 and the 33.7 plus my rookie phantom numbers of 38 again, I'm going with 38 wins and 8th seed..... final answer.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Thu Aug 2, 2012, 11:15 PM. Reason: There are actually 82 games in a season, not 80. Thanks, Bendit.

Comment

80 games only ?

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
        80 games only ?
        Lol yeah. I think that was a miscalculation by Matt52. Even geniuses make mistakes

Comment

Remember, a number of people did say if this team was fully healthy, there would be a possibility they made the 8th seed. I remember a game Leo or Jack said this specific thing...

I'm always optimistic, but in this case, I can see us landing that 8th spot by a game or so.. But it's not impossible for me to see 6-8..

I just hope this team exceeds my expectations rather than disappoint me.
          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
            80 games only ?
            Whoops. I"ll fix that.

Comment

I've said it before and I will say it again: Raptors Are Stacked.
              "Defense wins championships."

Comment

pillowmint wrote: View Post
                and on my way to work Kate Upton will ask ME out!
                Well... ?
                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Garbo wrote: View Post
                  42-40 in the BEST case scenario would grab the Raptors an eight seed. Which sets up your next statement.. You think the Raptors would take the Heat to seven games in the first round?
                  I like hanging around people like you
                  Maybe, maybe not. I'm an optimist

Comment

I'm going with 36W-46L, we got better as a team but I'm not sure enough teams got worse for it to matter dramatically. Lowry will have to be in heavy all-star consideration for the raps to get a 7th seed or higher, I think we'll be in the 11-8 range, a lot of that depending on Magic and Bulls.
                    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Just read the slam article and found a couple of things interesting...

1) If the guy who wrote the article was the GM of either the Bulls or Hornet's he'd be trying to get his hands on Calderon.

2) He thinks that New Orleans is going to have a +500 record. That seems like a stretch to me, I guess he's expecting Davis to have a huge impact, but doing a roster comparison I think that our team is definitely stronger, both in starting 5 and in players coming off the bench. That being said, I've never watched Davis play (am overseas so only read about this year's march madness).
                      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I'm optimistic about our chances this season (as I am at the start of every season). I think two things the Raptors have going for them are a deep bench with Calderon leading the way, and just as important D. Casey's consistent approach to playing defensive basketball. I really think when you can hang your hat on defense you'll always have a shot at winning games. Plus with really good rebounders at the PG and SF positions in Lowry and Fields the Raptors should be a pretty good rebounding team this year.

My prediction is between 44 to 48 wins this season.

Comment

Nice that the Raptors are on the list, but the Hornets with Robin Lopez and Greivis Vasquez in the starting lineup will be above .500? And the talented but frenetic Kings with an 18 win jump? Might be a little bit optimistic.
                          Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Assuming no major injuries, I'm going 38-44 and an 8th seed.

TheNBAGeek.com comparison engine gives the 11 players with NBA experience currently under contract a collective 33.7 wins produced. I am going to assume Acy adds 0.3, Ross adds 1.5, and JV adds 2.5 to reach 38.

Assuming Bargnani can remain healthy and be more like the player he showed in about 17 games versus the other 14 that will likely add wins (versus the negative he currently is). Considering in 2010-11 Bargnani produced a negative 6.4 wins (I guess that would be a positive 6.4 losses produced) having him go positive is not out of the question. DeRozan not having to be the focal point of the offense might improve his efficiency and take him positive in the wins produced as well. The Raps then might be pushing .500!

And good Lord don't get me started if Fields returns to the 11.6 wins he produced in 2010-11 as a rookie and Lowry goes back to 9.3. Could they be plus .500?!?!?! I have to calm down here.

Considering the collective 38 wins from the roster in 2010-11 and the 33.7 plus my rookie phantom numbers of 38 again, I'm going with 38 wins and 8th seed..... final answer.
                            That is a HUGE assumption. We can only pray that the team can remain healthy and develop chemistry. Another huge assumption is that what we saw from AB last year at the beginning of the year is truly "him". If he can play like that, and play at least 75 games, I tend to agree that we can fight for that 8th spot...because DC is the man

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
                              That is a HUGE assumption. We can only pray that the team can remain healthy and develop chemistry. Another huge assumption is that what we saw from AB last year at the beginning of the year is truly "him". If he can play like that, and play at least 75 games, I tend to agree that we can fight for that 8th spot...because DC is the man
                              It is.

To clarify, I mean no major injuries that cost extended stretches of games (like 10+ games) to a major player - mainly Bargnani and Lowry. A game here or there for flu, sore knee, rest is not what I meant. I don't think it is reasonable to expect 82 games from everyone who really matters.

75 plus games would put my quoted comment in to a better context.

Comment

Play to Level of Competition

In Regular Season play we often see the best teams Play to Level of Competition - simply because its regular season, opponent is stinky and the match-up has no glitter. Even the mid-tear teams fall into this against a very weak opponent.

You get half effort by damn good team against the last place team. Thus the stinky team wins a few more since nobody takes them seriously. Will anyone take the BOBCATS seriously...for this reason they may notch 2-3 extra wins if they play hard enough.

I take the above application to have a value of 3-4 wins for our Experimental Roster, we have no idea what to expect do we? I'm going with .500 +/- 2

Cheers
                                It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.

Muhammad Ali

Comment

Working...
                                X