Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ARE YOU UPSET with BIG Val-anc-iunas's performance at London Olympics 2012?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARE YOU UPSET with BIG Val-anc-iunas's performance at London Olympics 2012?

Don't be upset. Raptors have made sure the National Team limit his playing time as to not cause any setbacks for the upcoming much hyped season opener.

Image waiting for 1-2 years and then getting injured in Olympic competition against folks who really dont have much to play for. This especially since Lithuanian team doesnt have much chance at the podium.
    NBA owner don't wont trouble nor want any players getting hurt in this tournament.

Insurance....limit playing time.

I trust you all agree with this.
    It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.

Muhammad Ali

I am disappointed in the coach not JV - JV is trying to play but is not getting NO Playing time - but if its true that the raptors told the Lithuanian team to limit his minutes then I understand. But again JV is playing ok whenever he gets time, he is a little foul prone, but that would be corrected if was allowed to play longer than 5 min a game

Comment

I call bs.

Comment

I'd actually be upset with the Raptors if they were telling the Lithuanians how to manage their playing time. It's okay for an NBA team to ask a player not to play for his national team, but once he makes the decision to show up for the national team, it's incredibly inappropriate for the pro team to meddle with the running of that team. Edit: and for the record, I highly doubt that this is the case.

Comment

That's true because Risk Mgmt was being sarcastic (there should be a special font or colour or something for posts).

If the Raps even asked that Lithuania would tell them to go fuck themselves, kinda like Spain did with Garbo. JV's problem is that he is a very young player with a coach that has a lot riding on success. In those situations the coach always plays the vets, because he won't be criticized for it back home. It's only NBA followers who want to see JV play extended minutes.

Comment

No thx

I don't want any raptor assets getting hurt playing in a tournament they have no chance of success as a team. My raptors come first.
            It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.

Muhammad Ali

Comment

No reason, at all, to be upset with JV. Like mentioned, his playing time is key and the success of the coach is more important than what Raps fans think, no offense. Again, that's Olympics and the NBA game is much less intense. When Jonas gets here, it'll be a different system.
              The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
              Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
              www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
              http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
              http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

GameBreaker wrote: View Post
                No reason, at all, to be upset with JV. Like mentioned, his playing time is key and the success of the coach is more important than what Raps fans think, no offense. Again, that's Olympics and the NBA game is much less intense. When Jonas gets here, it'll be a different system.
                I think that maybe, just maybe, Jonas is cracking under the pressure. He's played on the big stage before, but now, in London, everyone is watching and he knows it. I'm sure it must be giving him a little bit of the jitters. He's just a 20 year old kid. To play on the Olympic team for the first time just a few months before having to move to a new continent to play in the best league in the world can't be an easy thing to deal with.

As I said before, I'll be happy if he can have one breakout game in London.
                Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

I ain't even mad bro.

I don't expect much from him at this point in his career, big men take time to develop. He's got all the tools to be great, but the speed and size of the NBA will expose his youth and inexperience. I suspect it will take at least one season before he is consistent enough to get a whiff of extended minutes. He's only 20 after all.

Comment

I am not upset. I more or less expected him to struggle. I'm upset at the coach, partially as a biased fan, partially as just a basketball fan. I didn't understand his goal in the 2nd half last game. It was clear nothing was working and he still didn't want to play JV. Normally I would not even be that surprised if it was, lets say, just a coach sending a message to a young go having a so-so tournament. It makes no sense though. They could have really used any size in the game, and it was also clear the other bigs were tired because the coach was extending their minutes. He didn't even put JV in for a 4-5 minute stint though...To me this is the classic example of the overstrict coach who's more worried about asserting his authority than coaching a smart game. I mean, I really think the other guys were exhausted, and couldn't have won that game for him the way he coached it. Anyway, given that he's doing a terrible job, likely leading to a QF exit at the hands of Spain, and that he's also probably making an enemy of every player on that team right now, I already would not be surprised to see this coach fired.

Back on JV, given that their positioning is already pretty set, if the coach doesn't play JV more in the last games of the group round, then there's really something strange there. Given that they'd probably expect to advance just beating Tunisia, any coach would want to get him experience as he's their most natural C, both for now and the future. There's no worry about winning/losing because if they can't beat Tunisia, they don't deserve to advance anyway. So he should run him out for stretches that are as long as possible, and let him play til he fouls out, hopefully in the 4th. I've liked that when JV is in, his level of activity is usually very high. That is a big positive for a big man. The team D is so bad that I don't want to say anything other than he'll have to learn not to foul, which was obvious.

Comment

Oh, and I didn't respond to the Raps + playing time request thing...makes no sense. You request your player not to play, or you relinquish your control while he's with them. "sure you can play for your national team, as long as we can tell them not to play you..." what the hell? They would just ask him not to play. Anything else would be crazy.

Comment

How can you be upset with a guy who gets like 10 minutes a game(generously) and plays great during that time. They don't play him so he can't drop a double double every game. I'm fine with him not playing. Any experience is good experience

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
                          plays great during that time
                          hmm

Comment

He looked decent today against the U.S bigs. They didn't push him around, or make him look like a boy among men

Comment

OK, so I signed up to raptors republic just to reply to this...huge raptors fan and follow some of these threads through Team Stream and the biggest reason for his lack of playing time is this:

FOULS.

if you check the box score for every game Valanciunas is in, he has at least 2 fouls. You get two fouls in less than a quarter, if I was coach, you're gone. This is my biggest worry about him transitioning to the NBA and fouling every big man that touches him. It's very Amir Johnson-esque.

Anyone else share this same worry?

Comment

Working...
                              X