Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 64

Thread: No love for Kleiza

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Rookie YoungGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default No love for Kleiza

    He has had an awesome olympics ... I know Valanciunas plays on Lithuania but you gotta give Kleiza some love.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,894
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    in international play tweeners aren't as exposed. in the nba the talent jumps and people are either bigger than you if you go up and faster than you if you go down.

    klieza is a good player but he always plays well in international competition

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    2,800
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Kleiza has always been a solid player who can easily score 10+ PPG and 4 RPG off the bench for you. Personally, I sorta expect Kleiza to have a much more productive season next year off the bench and he might actually be fighting for minutes with Fields in the 3 spot (assuming he can stay healthy). You gotta remember that last season was a shortened season where he was just getting back from massive knee surgery. As a back-up sharing minutes with Fields, I can see him having 12-14 PPG, 5 RPG, and 1 APG. Having said that, this fight for minutes would hopefully entice Fields to play even better. I'm pretty sure you can all tell that I'm really excited for next year
    Last edited by Blacklash2k4; Sun Aug 5th, 2012 at 02:29 AM.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Rookie swingman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    153
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It's hard for international players to get the kudos they deserve from the media when they play team USA, because everyone is so focused on how they were doing. But Linas has beasted this olympics, and the whole Lithuanian squad is so good. I wish more of them would come to the NBA. The timberwolves picked up AK47 and one of his CSKA Moscow teammates, and I kinda hope we could be the place for Lithuanians in the coming years.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,514
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I made a comment in the starting line ups thread. He is much more healthy coming into this season, he should have a bit of increased mobility that will help him on defence. I look for him to have a consistent role this year, helping to solidify our wing rotation.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,454
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    I made a comment in the starting line ups thread. He is much more healthy coming into this season, he should have a bit of increased mobility that will help him on defence. I look for him to have a consistent role this year, helping to solidify our wing rotation.
    Would it be outlandish to speculate on a starting lineup with Fields and Kleiza at SG and SF?

    Casey and Colangelo consistently said after the season that mistakes would not be tolerated next year. Defensive miscues and/or poor execution have been problems for DeRozan in the past.

    Keep in mind this is merely speculation on my part. DeRozan truly is an enigma from my perspective.... even more than the 'enigma of enigmas'. When it comes to DeRozan I can't get any idea of his future role with the Raptors or his future in the league.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    741
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Would it be outlandish to speculate on a starting lineup with Fields and Kleiza at SG and SF?

    Casey and Colangelo consistently said after the season that mistakes would not be tolerated next year. Defensive miscues and/or poor execution have been problems for DeRozan in the past.

    Keep in mind this is merely speculation on my part. DeRozan truly is an enigma from my perspective.... even more than the 'enigma of enigmas'. When it comes to DeRozan I can't get any idea of his future role with the Raptors or his future in the league.
    I think a LK/DD starting lineup with Ross and LF filling in the 2/3 off the bench is entirely possible. On the one hand, I can certainly see them wanting to justify the $ they spent on Fields .. but on the other hand ... hes really more of a 2 and is LK truly is healthy for the first time, he may well be our best option at the 3.

    Even though LF is clearly getting starter money .. I think we all know thats due to the nash blunder .. so I personally would be looking to look past that and bring him off the bench if thats the right thing to do. If he can knock down the 3 at a resonable % .. then he will keep the job .. but if not, I think LK gets it quickly.

    In the end, maybe LK and TR will be our two best wings this year.....??

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    143
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Kleiza has played great the two Lituhuania games I've seen - I hope he's healthy this season. However, I think he's better utilized as scoring punch off the bench. Bargnani and Lowry will be the 1A/B scoring options in the first unit. Derozan as a slasher is well suited to being a 3rd scorer. Kleiza strikes me as a guy who thinks he is a 1A scorer (like Barbosa) - great as scoring punch off the bench, but he might take too many shots if playing with the starters.

    I'm hopeful Derozan comes up big this year, but I think he might be Nick Young - scores and not much else.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,514
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    How does this look for a bench unit, all 5 guys non-starters

    PG Jose
    SG Ross
    SF Linas
    PF Ed/Amir
    C Amir/Ed

    I like what that line-up could bring to the floor, good shooters, good post play, athleticism, can work in the half court or on the break. Early in the year we may see Amir as a Starter with Jonas off the bench, but it could be Gray starting in November as well.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    1,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Would it be outlandish to speculate on a starting lineup with Fields and Kleiza at SG and SF?

    Casey and Colangelo consistently said after the season that mistakes would not be tolerated next year. Defensive miscues and/or poor execution have been problems for DeRozan in the past.

    Keep in mind this is merely speculation on my part. DeRozan truly is an enigma from my perspective.... even more than the 'enigma of enigmas'. When it comes to DeRozan I can't get any idea of his future role with the Raptors or his future in the league.
    I really don't expect DD to improve a whole lot. And sorry, 16 ppg on 20+ attempts isn't going to cut it either. He can't defend, can't penetrate, can't shoot efficiently. I know what to expect from JV as he learns the NBA game. But with DD, I don't know. All I know is Ross will be breathing down his back hard. As far as I'm concerned, his season as the starting SG is to showcase him. Ross is his imminent replacement.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,668
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Kleiza looked great against the Americans. 25 points against the best team in the world (probably) when he was the obvious Lithuanian scoring punch? They weren't doubling him because they don't have to, of course, they have so much offence themselves.

    Kleiza on a Raptors team with a few other scoring options is very exciting. I do expect him to have a better year.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    741
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote coastal wrote: View Post
    Kleiza has played great the two Lituhuania games I've seen - I hope he's healthy this season. However, I think he's better utilized as scoring punch off the bench. Bargnani and Lowry will be the 1A/B scoring options in the first unit. Derozan as a slasher is well suited to being a 3rd scorer. Kleiza strikes me as a guy who thinks he is a 1A scorer (like Barbosa) - great as scoring punch off the bench, but he might take too many shots if playing with the starters.

    I'm hopeful Derozan comes up big this year, but I think he might be Nick Young - scores and not much else.
    Thats a very good point .. weve seen LK in this tourney (and in a few games last year) .. where he is convinced that he is the best player on the floor. But, as you say .. it might be best to fuel this fire by having him off the bench, where he can get a bunch of shots in a relatively short period of time ..

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    726
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote YoungGuns wrote: View Post
    He has had an awesome olympics ... I know Valanciunas plays on Lithuania but you gotta give Kleiza some love.
    You are so correct. He was the player of the game according to ESPN. I mean, the best player over all those so called studs on US team. They seemed so scared when the score was tied. Unreal.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ancaster, Ont (Via Serbia)
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    in international play tweeners aren't as exposed. in the nba the talent jumps and people are either bigger than you if you go up and faster than you if you go down.

    klieza is a good player but he always plays well in international competition
    He had (what?) 25 points against a fairly decent US team. Can you get better competition than that?

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Starter Katman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Burlington
    Posts
    239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mountio wrote: View Post
    I think a LK/DD starting lineup with Ross and LF filling in the 2/3 off the bench is entirely possible. On the one hand, I can certainly see them wanting to justify the $ they spent on Fields .. but on the other hand ... hes really more of a 2 and is LK truly is healthy for the first time, he may well be our best option at the 3.

    Even though LF is clearly getting starter money .. I think we all know thats due to the nash blunder .. so I personally would be looking to look past that and bring him off the bench if thats the right thing to do. If he can knock down the 3 at a resonable % .. then he will keep the job .. but if not, I think LK gets it quickly.

    In the end, maybe LK and TR will be our two best wings this year.....??
    That's simply not true, BC wanted him. Why offer a poison pill contract unless you do. BC could have accomplished taking Fields out of possible Pheonix trade scenarios by simply making a 3 yrs for 15M offer sheet. The only reason to offer the poison pill contract is to get the player.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ancaster, Ont (Via Serbia)
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    in international play tweeners aren't as exposed. in the nba the talent jumps and people are either bigger than you if you go up and faster than you if you go down.

    klieza is a good player but he always plays well in international competition
    He had (what?) 25 points against a fairly decent US team (loaded with threes & fours). Can you get better competition than that?

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    741
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Katman wrote: View Post
    That's simply not true, BC wanted him. Why offer a poison pill contract unless you do. BC could have accomplished taking Fields out of possible Pheonix trade scenarios by simply making a 3 yrs for 15M offer sheet. The only reason to offer the poison pill contract is to get the player.
    Wrong. BC offered this much because he knew LF would sign it quick (since it was clearly above market). IMO, LF would have jumped at 3 yrs $15 mm too .. but I guess BC didnt think so. The quickness was the key to the nash deal .. if LF says "no thanks, Ill play the field and see what else is out there" ... then the whole blocking thing is screwed up.

    btw - the "poison pill' simply refers to the back-end loaded portion of the contact. Same thing could have been accomplished with 3 yrs $15 mm - at, say $3.5m, $3.5m, $8 mm .. where the last year hits the Knicks hard, the same way this deal did (of course a little less hard .. but you get the idea)

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    741
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Katman wrote: View Post
    That's simply not true, BC wanted him. Why offer a poison pill contract unless you do. BC could have accomplished taking Fields out of possible Pheonix trade scenarios by simply making a 3 yrs for 15M offer sheet. The only reason to offer the poison pill contract is to get the player.
    And also .. BC has flat out admitted that part of the Landry situation was in an effort to get Nash .. Im pretty sure thats undisputable.

    It doesnt mean he hates him as a player .. obviously he thinks he can help the team .. its simply that he overpaid him in an attempt to make the whole nash thing work ..

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Starter Katman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Burlington
    Posts
    239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mountio wrote: View Post
    Wrong. BC offered this much because he knew LF would sign it quick (since it was clearly above market). IMO, LF would have jumped at 3 yrs $15 mm too .. but I guess BC didnt think so. The quickness was the key to the nash deal .. if LF says "no thanks, Ill play the field and see what else is out there" ... then the whole blocking thing is screwed up.

    btw - the "poison pill' simply refers to the back-end loaded portion of the contact. Same thing could have been accomplished with 3 yrs $15 mm - at, say $3.5m, $3.5m, $8 mm .. where the last year hits the Knicks hard, the same way this deal did (of course a little less hard .. but you get the idea)
    In your opinion, stop stating things as facts that you can't substantiate.
    Last edited by Katman; Sun Aug 5th, 2012 at 10:31 AM.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    741
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Katman wrote: View Post
    In your opinion, stop stating things as facts that you can substantiate.
    I love that comeback. Because your statement below is an undisputable fact?

    "That's simply not true, BC wanted him. Why offer a poison pill contract unless you do. BC could have accomplished taking Fields out of possible Pheonix trade scenarios by simply making a 3 yrs for 15M offer sheet. The only reason to offer the poison pill contract is to get the player."

    Come on people .. everything written on here is based on peoples opinions. If I need to qualify every post I make with "in my opinion", just to make it exactly the same as every other post on here .. then fair enough (actually as I look up, I even used "IMO" .. geez.

    As Ive stated here before .. no, I dont talk to BC before I post here (no one does), and no, I dont have any inside NBA knowledge (no one here does) .. I simply state what I think based on everything I read and hear, combined with common sense.

    So .. hitting me with the "in your opinion" doesnt hold much water since its a qualified of 99% of everything posted on this site ..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •