No love for Kleiza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No love for Kleiza

He has had an awesome olympics ... I know Valanciunas plays on Lithuania but you gotta give Kleiza some love.

in international play tweeners aren't as exposed. in the nba the talent jumps and people are either bigger than you if you go up and faster than you if you go down.

klieza is a good player but he always plays well in international competition

Comment

Kleiza has always been a solid player who can easily score 10+ PPG and 4 RPG off the bench for you. Personally, I sorta expect Kleiza to have a much more productive season next year off the bench and he might actually be fighting for minutes with Fields in the 3 spot (assuming he can stay healthy). You gotta remember that last season was a shortened season where he was just getting back from massive knee surgery. As a back-up sharing minutes with Fields, I can see him having 12-14 PPG, 5 RPG, and 1 APG. Having said that, this fight for minutes would hopefully entice Fields to play even better. I'm pretty sure you can all tell that I'm really excited for next year
      Last edited by Blacklash2k4; Sun Aug 5, 2012, 02:29 AM.

Comment

It's hard for international players to get the kudos they deserve from the media when they play team USA, because everyone is so focused on how they were doing. But Linas has beasted this olympics, and the whole Lithuanian squad is so good. I wish more of them would come to the NBA. The timberwolves picked up AK47 and one of his CSKA Moscow teammates, and I kinda hope we could be the place for Lithuanians in the coming years.

Comment

I made a comment in the starting line ups thread. He is much more healthy coming into this season, he should have a bit of increased mobility that will help him on defence. I look for him to have a consistent role this year, helping to solidify our wing rotation.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
            I made a comment in the starting line ups thread. He is much more healthy coming into this season, he should have a bit of increased mobility that will help him on defence. I look for him to have a consistent role this year, helping to solidify our wing rotation.
            Would it be outlandish to speculate on a starting lineup with Fields and Kleiza at SG and SF?

Casey and Colangelo consistently said after the season that mistakes would not be tolerated next year. Defensive miscues and/or poor execution have been problems for DeRozan in the past.

Keep in mind this is merely speculation on my part. DeRozan truly is an enigma from my perspective.... even more than the 'enigma of enigmas'. When it comes to DeRozan I can't get any idea of his future role with the Raptors or his future in the league.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Would it be outlandish to speculate on a starting lineup with Fields and Kleiza at SG and SF?

Casey and Colangelo consistently said after the season that mistakes would not be tolerated next year. Defensive miscues and/or poor execution have been problems for DeRozan in the past.

Keep in mind this is merely speculation on my part. DeRozan truly is an enigma from my perspective.... even more than the 'enigma of enigmas'. When it comes to DeRozan I can't get any idea of his future role with the Raptors or his future in the league.
              I think a LK/DD starting lineup with Ross and LF filling in the 2/3 off the bench is entirely possible. On the one hand, I can certainly see them wanting to justify the $ they spent on Fields .. but on the other hand ... hes really more of a 2 and is LK truly is healthy for the first time, he may well be our best option at the 3.

Even though LF is clearly getting starter money .. I think we all know thats due to the nash blunder .. so I personally would be looking to look past that and bring him off the bench if thats the right thing to do. If he can knock down the 3 at a resonable % .. then he will keep the job .. but if not, I think LK gets it quickly.

In the end, maybe LK and TR will be our two best wings this year.....??

Comment

Kleiza has played great the two Lituhuania games I've seen - I hope he's healthy this season. However, I think he's better utilized as scoring punch off the bench. Bargnani and Lowry will be the 1A/B scoring options in the first unit. Derozan as a slasher is well suited to being a 3rd scorer. Kleiza strikes me as a guy who thinks he is a 1A scorer (like Barbosa) - great as scoring punch off the bench, but he might take too many shots if playing with the starters.

I'm hopeful Derozan comes up big this year, but I think he might be Nick Young - scores and not much else.

Comment

How does this look for a bench unit, all 5 guys non-starters

PG Jose
                  SG Ross
                  SF Linas
                  PF Ed/Amir
                  C Amir/Ed

I like what that line-up could bring to the floor, good shooters, good post play, athleticism, can work in the half court or on the break. Early in the year we may see Amir as a Starter with Jonas off the bench, but it could be Gray starting in November as well.
                  Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

I really don't expect DD to improve a whole lot. And sorry, 16 ppg on 20+ attempts isn't going to cut it either. He can't defend, can't penetrate, can't shoot efficiently. I know what to expect from JV as he learns the NBA game. But with DD, I don't know. All I know is Ross will be breathing down his back hard. As far as I'm concerned, his season as the starting SG is to showcase him. Ross is his imminent replacement.
                    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Kleiza looked great against the Americans. 25 points against the best team in the world (probably) when he was the obvious Lithuanian scoring punch? They weren't doubling him because they don't have to, of course, they have so much offence themselves.

Kleiza on a Raptors team with a few other scoring options is very exciting. I do expect him to have a better year.

Comment

coastal wrote: View Post
                        Kleiza has played great the two Lituhuania games I've seen - I hope he's healthy this season. However, I think he's better utilized as scoring punch off the bench. Bargnani and Lowry will be the 1A/B scoring options in the first unit. Derozan as a slasher is well suited to being a 3rd scorer. Kleiza strikes me as a guy who thinks he is a 1A scorer (like Barbosa) - great as scoring punch off the bench, but he might take too many shots if playing with the starters.

I'm hopeful Derozan comes up big this year, but I think he might be Nick Young - scores and not much else.
                        Thats a very good point .. weve seen LK in this tourney (and in a few games last year) .. where he is convinced that he is the best player on the floor. But, as you say .. it might be best to fuel this fire by having him off the bench, where he can get a bunch of shots in a relatively short period of time ..

Comment

YoungGuns wrote: View Post
                          He has had an awesome olympics ... I know Valanciunas plays on Lithuania but you gotta give Kleiza some love.
                          You are so correct. He was the player of the game according to ESPN. I mean, the best player over all those so called studs on US team. They seemed so scared when the score was tied. Unreal.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                            in international play tweeners aren't as exposed. in the nba the talent jumps and people are either bigger than you if you go up and faster than you if you go down.

klieza is a good player but he always plays well in international competition
                            He had (what?) 25 points against a fairly decent US team. Can you get better competition than that?

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
                              I think a LK/DD starting lineup with Ross and LF filling in the 2/3 off the bench is entirely possible. On the one hand, I can certainly see them wanting to justify the $ they spent on Fields .. but on the other hand ... hes really more of a 2 and is LK truly is healthy for the first time, he may well be our best option at the 3.

Even though LF is clearly getting starter money .. I think we all know thats due to the nash blunder .. so I personally would be looking to look past that and bring him off the bench if thats the right thing to do. If he can knock down the 3 at a resonable % .. then he will keep the job .. but if not, I think LK gets it quickly.

In the end, maybe LK and TR will be our two best wings this year.....??
                              That's simply not true, BC wanted him. Why offer a poison pill contract unless you do. BC could have accomplished taking Fields out of possible Pheonix trade scenarios by simply making a 3 yrs for 15M offer sheet. The only reason to offer the poison pill contract is to get the player.

Comment

Working...
                              X