No love for Kleiza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah he played 7 more minutes a game.

If we make Leonard play the exact same amount of minutes......
    10.2PPG 0.5BPG 1.7SPG 1.4APG 6.6RPG

Compare that to Landry
    10.2PPG 0.5BPG 1.7SPG 1.4APG 6.6RPG: Leonard
    9.7PPG 0.2BPG 1.0SPG 2.6APG 6.5RPG: Fields

Fields only wins in one category and that is assists.

As well, Leonard's potential is that of Gerald Wallace. And he's expected to be that and our GM COLANGELO is walking around saying fields is Shane Battier well, you could guess who's better already.

Leonard is also a good creator so really that assists thing doesn't really say it all

Comment

Mindlessness wrote: View Post
      As well, Leonard's potential is that of Gerald Wallace. And he's expected to be that and our GM COLANGELO is walking around saying fields is Shane Battier well, you could guess who's better already.
      If you were to switch and put Gerald Wallace on the Heat in the finals, do you think you could see the same success? Shane Battier was a KEY player, and was a big reason for such an easy series on paper for the Heat. Arguably, he had a better series than Dwayne Wade...

In any case, Gerald Wallace would be the dream case for Casey, but so would Shane Battier.

Stats don't lie I can tell you that, but it also doesn't tell the entire story.... Leonard and Fields are two similar players, except Fields was in a different dynamic of a team compared to his own rookie season. Switch the two, put Fields on San Antonio, and put Leonard on New York.. See the possibility. Fields would FLOURISH in the Spurs' system.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Mindlessness wrote: View Post
        Yeah he played 7 more minutes a game.

If we make Leonard play the exact same amount of minutes......
        10.2PPG 0.5BPG 1.7SPG 1.4APG 6.6RPG

Compare that to Landry
        10.2PPG 0.5BPG 1.7SPG 1.4APG 6.6RPG: Leonard
        9.7PPG 0.2BPG 1.0SPG 2.6APG 6.5RPG: Fields

Fields only wins in one category and that is assists.

Leonard is also a good creator so really that assists thing doesn't really say it all
        Funny how you take the time to break down the minutes but fail to mention that Landry has better shooting percentages from both 2 and 3....we can all make the stats look in our favour. All I was pointing out is that you say Leonard is ready to be a star but Fields is not.....based of what? Each can play a role and be successful on a team.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Phat Farmer wrote: View Post
          BC didn't have to overpay Landry to block the sign and trade. The moment Landry signed, regardless of the amount, the sign and trade was blocked. If you would like to quote BC he said that he "sees how it could be looked at as a tactic in the Steve Nash sign & trade, and may have had a small part to it" It doesn't mean to say that his first motivation was to block the sign and trade. Maybe he wanted Landry all along, and then realized that hey it may serve a double purpose. You are making the assumption that alot of other ppl are that his first motive was to block the trade, when in reality, I feel it's because he liked Landry first, and then 2nd wanted to block the sign and trade.
          You might be right .. he could have liked Landry first and then realized the co-incidence with Nash. However, given how all out the organization went for Nash (which btw is understandable and I agreed with) - I would suggest the evidence supports that Nash was the #1 thought of this franchise from the start of the summer .. which would further support that Landry fits into that.

As for the overpaying - I would suggest thats a timing thing .. if he offers "market" for Fields (3 yrs $10-$12 mm), Landry might play the field, see what else he can get and take his time. The Nash situation was unfolding quickly, and so having Landry locked up early was helpful there. If the end goal was more to get LF .. it would seem to make more sense to wait a little longer.

Anyways .. I guess we will never know for sure .. but there sure is a lot of evidence to suggest that Nash had a lot to do with the signing ..

Comment

Leonard vs. Fields

I don't even think Leonard is THAT much better than Fields, if anything, I don't think Leonard is better than Fields.

Remember, this is a team game. Leonard flourished in one of the most unselfish systems in the league. He was able to be a great catch-and-shoot player for this team.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/te...neous-per-game

San Antonio: 4th best in the NBA, averaging 23.2 assists per game.

New York: 18th in the NBA, averaging 20.1 assists per game.

He was a ROLE player on a fantastic team system.

The Knicks' dynamic changed ever since the trade with Carmelo, and man did that team REALLY change.

Fields' stats 2010-2011 season.

Rookie Averages: 30.4 MPG, 9.3 PPG, 6.1 RPG, 1.9 APG, 1 SPG, .489 FG%, .386% 3PFG, .745% FT%

Fields' stats 2011-2012 season.

Sophomore Averages: 28.3 MPG, 8.7 PPG, 4.1 RPG, 2.5 APG, 1.2 SPG, .461 FG%, .254% 3PFG, .569 FT%

Stats don't tell the whole story, but neither do they lie. Fields was less involved in the game, thus affecting his all-around production.

Kawhi Leonard rookie averages: 24.5 MPG, 8.1 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 1.0 APG, 1.3 SPG, .491 FG%, .396 3PFG%, .779 FT%

Comparing the ROOKIE stats, INCLUDING post-Melo trade, the two are similar. Fields on a Spurs team would flourish, and Leonard on New York would be the same as Fields' production.

Fields averaged similar stats on a one-man team, that's really enough to say Fields could be better.

Comment

they needed a contract landry would sign day one, had to throw money at him. they figured pheonix wont take shrumbert with the knee so it kills the sign and trade with new york. fields "might" have been, and very well could have been, a target prior to the summer but his contract is entirely set up as a nash block. i am pretty sure the cap hit on us is the average of the entire contract per season but new york would have been 9 million on the last year and really messed with their cap figures.

"The 2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement gives a major advantage to teams writing these poison pill contracts. For salary cap and luxury tax purposes, only the average yearly value of the deal is counted. But a team matching the offer does not get the same benefit.
              For example: the Houston Rockets offered identical contracts to Knicks guard Jeremy Lin and Chicago Bulls forward/center Omer Asik. They deals will pay roughly $5 million in years one and two and $15 million in year three. For the Rockets, those deals will count as roughly $8.3 million contracts each year, for cap and tax purposes. If the Knicks opted to match, Lin's deal would count at its actual value. That $15 million cap hit - combined with the contracts of Amar'e Stoudemire, Carmelo Anthony and Tyson Chandler - would have come with a staggering luxury tax bill."

http://basketball.about.com/od/nba-c...l-Contract.htm

for the record of the new debate. i would take leonard over fields everyday of the week. younger/cheaper/potential. leonard can be a real game changer on defense. one of the top in the league for years to come.
              Last edited by Miekenstien; Tue Aug 7, 2012, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Clearly one of the top players from the Olympics, but still no love. Can't blame Raptors fans for feeling this way for since coming to Toronto he's been a pretty big disappointment. Where's this passion you play with when you play for your homeland Lithuania, Linas? Raptors fans demand the same expectations.

From RaptorsRepublic.com homepage under Hot Topics
                This description nails my thoughts on the Kleiza argument/debate/whatever you want to call it.

Look at the timeline:
                • Summer 2010 - contract signed and dominated World Championships

Late summer-early fall 2010 - injured shortly after dominating PHX in Vancouver during preseason exhibition.

Fall 2010 and in to early 2011 - Clearly not playing well

February 3rd, 2011 - announced microfracture surgery and out for 9-12 months

January 11, 2012 - returned from career threatening injury

January 11 - April 26, 2012 - up and down performances, sat out due to soreness/swelling/precaution during lockout shortened regular season marathon schedule.

July-August 2012 - 2 months removed from return to high competition with presumably more strength training/rehabilitation/practice/game experience he is showing the form and promise he showed in the summer of 2010 when he was last 100% healthy

I am extremely biased as Kleiza is my favourite Raptor so take this with a giant chunk of salt:

To question a guy's passion and commitment to Toronto after the injury and subsequent surgery he experienced is not fair or reasonable. Does anyone really think he entered the 2010-11 season hoping to be injured and under go microfracture surgery?

A homer/biased/glass half full perspective:

Kleiza has worked extremely hard to return to form from possible career ending injury in these Olympics. I hope his performance and health carry over to the NBA season for Toronto.
                Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed Aug 8, 2012, 08:23 AM.

Comment

+1

Comment

Kleiza stated that nba is just business, National team for him is something different, he feels the support. Playing in nba after you played in Europe and felt the huge support from the fans is something difficult. It's way harder to find passion and motivation, of course willing to prove yourself best among the best still exists. My thoughts.
                    Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                      Kleiza stated that nba is just business, National team for him is something different, he feels the support. Playing in nba after you played in Europe and felt the huge support from the fans is something difficult. It's way harder to find passion and motivation, of course willing to prove yourself best among the best still exists. My thoughts.
                      I'd love to read that interview.

I could be wrong but I don't think he is the type to not give 100%. I think there is too much competitiveness for him to not give his all - whether for Lithuania or in the NBA. This was what was implied, by my interpretation, of the message on the home page of RR.com under Hot Topics.

My point is the guy has never played healthy for Toronto outside of a couple of exhibition games 2 years ago. It is tough to criticize him on his Raptor performance when he has not played for the Raptors healthy.

The Kleiza Craptor Sandwich is hardly his fault but for anyone interested in the recipe, here it is:

Take a slice of really good international play,
                      smear a microfracture portion of Craptor performance all over it,
                      Put another slice of really good international play over it.
                      ENJOY!

**Disclaimer: Huge Kleiza fan**

Comment

Even if 100% healthy, not sure if Kleiza would be given the same opportunity to succeed with the Raptors, as he's had with the National team. Kleiza's the #1 option for Lithuania. He'd be lucky to be the 4th option in Toronto (behind Bargnani, Lowry and DeRozan...maybe even Ross).

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          Even if 100% healthy, not sure if Kleiza would be given the same opportunity to succeed with the Raptors, as he's had with the National team. Kleiza's the #1 option for Lithuania. He'd be lucky to be the 4th option in Toronto (behind Bargnani, Lowry and DeRozan...maybe even Ross).
                          I think this is getting away from my intentions of the original Hot Topic post.

This line, "Can't blame Raptors fans for feeling this way for since coming to Toronto he's been a pretty big disappointment" is very accurate. Unfortunately we are not talking about a guy who has been healthy and decided to f*ck the pooch like, say, a Charlie V.

Kleiza has never been 100% for the Raptors in the regular season. I really, truly hope he is 100% this year for his sake and my own selfish sake as a Raptor fan.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            I think this is getting away from my intentions of the original Hot Topic post.

This line, "Can't blame Raptors fans for feeling this way for since coming to Toronto he's been a pretty big disappointment" is very accurate. Unfortunately we are not talking about a guy who has been healthy and decided to f*ck the pooch like, say, a Charlie V.

Kleiza has never been 100% for the Raptors in the regular season. I really, truly hope he is 100% this year for his sake and my own selfish sake as a Raptor fan.
                            He was looking like a great addition 2 pre-seasons ago, just after his successful World Championship run, coming off the bench with Amir, behind Bargnani & Evans. If memory serves me, I believe they played a pre-season game in Vancouver against Phoenix and beat them, with Kleiza hitting a ton of shots off the bench... but then he went and tweaked his knee later that preseason or early on in the season, and he hasn't been the same since. Hopefully Kleiza will showup fully healthy and on top of his game, ready to be a leader on the 2nd unit.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              This description nails my thoughts on the Kleiza argument/debate/whatever you want to call it.

Look at the timeline:
                              • Summer 2010 - contract signed and dominated World Championships

Late summer-early fall 2010 - injured shortly after dominating PHX in Vancouver during preseason exhibition.

Fall 2010 and in to early 2011 - Clearly not playing well

February 3rd, 2011 - announced microfracture surgery and out for 9-12 months

January 11, 2012 - returned from career threatening injury

January 11 - April 26, 2012 - up and down performances, sat out due to soreness/swelling/precaution during lockout shortened regular season marathon schedule.

July-August 2012 - 2 months removed from return to high competition with presumably more strength training/rehabilitation/practice/game experience he is showing the form and promise he showed in the summer of 2010 when he was last 100% healthy

I am extremely biased as Kleiza is my favourite Raptor so take this with a giant chunk of salt:

To question a guy's passion and commitment to Toronto after the injury and subsequent surgery he experienced is not fair or reasonable. Does anyone really think he entered the 2010-11 season hoping to be injured and under go microfracture surgery?

A homer/biased/glass half full perspective:

Kleiza has worked extremely hard to return to form from possible career ending injury in these Olympics. I hope his performance and health carry over to the NBA season for Toronto.
                              +1 I've always like Kleiza as well, not as much as Matt here, but he always brought something more than his ability to shoot, and score in bunches. He was a tough motherfucker, gritty, and doesn't give a shit about you or anyone else, he is there to win.

With him being possibly 100% excites me, because the last time I saw him really healthy and perform so easily was in Vancouver, (a game that I was at, also enjoying booing Turkey). The game that he also played in Utah this past season, was also how much of a big time contributor he can be.

Comment

Calderon/Kleiza Parallel

When Calderon got to Toronto he played hurt his entire first season and he struggle with his shot because of it; he couldn't get his legs into it. Without being able to hit the open shot defenses could cheat on him and it threw his whole game off. I remember clearly that season being on a very popular message board and reader many, many, many posts about how much of a waste of money Calderon was he why on earth was he playing for the Raptors. Next season he was healthy and the rest is history...

Most Raptors fans have short fuses and short memories. Kleiza needs to bring it in the NBA for him to become beloved in Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                                X