Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: RR Fantasy Hoops Dynasty League Disccussion

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote skywalker wrote: View Post
    IMO if i couldn't at least check in a couple times a week, I don't know if i would play. I'm too competitive to just trust that my decisions on Sunday will be the best ones for 3 days later, much less 6-7 days later.
    Well you are in Luck then, as we are expecting people to set Rosters every day, not once a week.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

It takes two minutes to go to the league and throw your starters in the lineup. What I typically do is set it for three or four days in advance and then just tweak it as time moves on. The beauty of this method is that if something comes up and I can't get online then no worries, I already have a lineup set that I was happy with only a few days back.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are right, it takes no time to set the lineups. The real time I put in is nerding it up on stats to see who to pick up on waivers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote drizz wrote: View Post
    The real time I put in is nerding it up on stats to see who to pick up on waivers
    Exactly. And thats ultimately where the Winner will be crowned.

Matt52 won our Keeper League last year, not because he had the Best Keepers or because he set his Roster everyday (though that helps). He won because of his strategy on the Waiver, strategy on Subs, and strategy making the best moves.
    The Best Manager wins. And really, the Best Manager is the one who takes it most seriously.

If someone ends up not Winning solely because of not setting their Roster, then I really have no Sympathy.

When joining a Fantasy League, I would assume everyone knows the sort of commitment it takes to be successful. And I would guess most embrace that commitment.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Exactly. And thats ultimately where the Winner will be crowned.

Matt52 won our Keeper League last year, not because he had the Best Keepers or because he set his Roster everyday (though that helps). He won because of his strategy on the Waiver, strategy on Subs, and strategy making the best moves.
    The Best Manager wins. And really, the Best Manager is the one who takes it most seriously.

If someone ends up not Winning solely because of not setting their Roster, then I really have no Sympathy.

When joining a Fantasy League, I would assume everyone knows the sort of commitment it takes to be successful. And I would guess most embrace that commitment.
    Nailed it.

My stunning good looks, devilish charm, and witty personality also played very little of a role.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys sound like you aren't aware yet that there is a lot of luck involved, especially in H2H.

I didn't beat Skywalker something like 7-2 in the first round because I suddenly was the better manager. I had some good moves, but mostly my team got red hot.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    You guys sound like you aren't aware yet that there is a lot of luck involved, especially in H2H.

I didn't beat Skywalker something like 7-2 in the first round because I suddenly was the better manager. I had some good moves, but mostly my team got red hot.
    There is definitely luck involved with the schedule.

However, I won a couple of matchups by benching players, dropping others, picking up others, maximizing the lineup, and benching the entire team.

There is definitely strategy.... and definitely luck in the way the match ups fall.

Raptors Republic Starter skywalker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That is very true. Good point lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    A cap of 45 would allow you to easily re-sign two guys per year while only having five player turnover/year if you play it correctly. I mean most NBA teams turn over that many guys per year.

How about we up the cap ten to 45 and we could say rookies drafted by you(starting next year's draft) don't count against your two player re-signings per year. What this would do is reward is building from within and it would also give you the flexibility to hold a team together easier. To make it too easy to keep everyone would make the league less interesting and do we really want to do that?

Also I think you're overrating the quality of the players hitting the wire. You're also underestimating the strategy that goes into winning private WW bids with a limited budget. I don't think we should add them to the draft pool because that's getting away from the dynasty concept. To have a WW free agency period adds extra complexity because it eats into your regular season WW budget. Do you go all out in WW free agency or do you play it conservative so you have budget left to win waived FA's when the season starts.
    That works for me. 45 straight or 40 and no 'free' resigning of rookies would as well.

About the consultation rounds; it's the first time I hear about that and I have no clue how this works. So there might be more rules I don't know yet. Are these viewable on the leaguepage or our own specific rules?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote alex_elstone wrote: View Post
    I dont think I can play if its an everyday roster set, because I dont have time to do it every day and I will lose if I dont
    This was already the setting when you signed up. Are you in or out?

Post Thanks / Like

That works for me. 45 straight or 40 and no 'free' resigning of rookies would as well.

About the consultation rounds; it's the first time I hear about that and I have no clue how this works. So there might be more rules I don't know yet. Are these viewable on the leaguepage or our own specific rules?
    Consolation rounds are in all stock fantasy leagues at Yahoo Sports. You were in the keeper league last year so you're free to go investigate what it looked like in that league.

In that league half went to the playoffs, half went to the consolation rounds.

Quote alex_elstone wrote: View Post
    I dont think I can play if its an everyday roster set, because I dont have time to do it every day and I will lose if I dont
    Ok, I removed you from the league. Thanks for being honest.

We now need to find one more team over the next couple weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Consolation rounds are in all stock fantasy leagues at Yahoo Sports. You were in the keeper league last year so you're free to go investigate what it looked like in that league.

In that league half went to the playoffs, half went to the consolation.
    Ah, consolation, not consultation. Autocorrect? So, in the consorlation rounds for non-playoff teams a win means a higher pick?

Post Thanks / Like

Aargh, typing on my phone...

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, consolation, not consultation. Autocorrect? So, in the consorlation rounds for non-playoff teams a win means a higher pick?
    Bingo, this is what I'm thinking actually may be the best course to take. You want the top pick? Win it. This keeps the league interest until the end. This is just one path we can take. What is everyone's thoughts on this?

I think it places a stronger emphasis on playing the wire and talking trades right to the end. Personally, I'm happy with a lotto as well. Maybe we do a hybrid of both...

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of lotto to make it feel more realistic. I think if everyone is active (seems like it will in this league), there won't be that guy who drafts and stops updating after week 4. If everyone is active and competing all season then the lotto pick seems like a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Bingo, this is what I'm thinking actually may be the best course to take. You want the top pick? Win it. This keeps the league interest until the end. This is just one path we can take. What is everyone's thoughts on this?

I think it places a stronger emphasis on playing the wire and talking trades right to the end. Personally, I'm happy with a lotto as well. Maybe we do a hybrid of both...
    I'm all for the consolation rounds determining who gets the first pick. If someone wants to tank like the bobcats, well, he should quite playing fantasy basketball because he's just a bad manager anyway. And that goes for mr. Jordan as well.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd prefer a hybrid system.

The principal that the worse team gets the best pick is sound. Team 16 will have a difficult time winning a consolation title.

Perhaps team 16 has 8 chances for top pick and team 9 has 1. With additional chances being earned in the consolation round or something similar to this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote jbml wrote: View Post
    I'd prefer a hybrid system.

The principal that the worse team gets the best pick is sound. Team 16 will have a difficult time winning a consolation title.

Perhaps team 16 has 8 chances for top pick and team 9 has 1. With additional chances being earned in the consolation round or something similar to this.
    For one I think that's making it overly complex. And I don't think team 16 is without chances in consolation rounds. It's not like he has to go up against the nr 1 team. If the nr. 16 team is that bad that he's without chances in the consolation rounds that's just and only because of bad management.

I'm not saying that the team that comes last must have the worst manager (just throwing that in here in case I become last) but being without chances against the number 9? 7 years of first overall picks won't help that guy. And if it's because of injuries, his team isn't as bad as it seems.

Post Thanks / Like

One point I'd like to make is that if you tank I'll toss you from the league. I'm trying to make this clear, we don't want anyone hurting the competitive balance in this league. If you try and fail, that's fine but if you're not setting your lineup you're not going to last long in this league. You won't see a Bobcats scenario play out because that person won't be around to reap any rewards.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information