Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Raptors be on the phone with Denver?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Well it seems to be the consensus is Orlando did not get the value back, and I felt the team was always going to go under a rebuild.
    • Affalo
    • Harrington
    • Vucevic
    • Harkless
    • 3 protected 1st rounders

Plus other unannounced assets. They could have done a lot worse. If I'm a Magic fan I'm relieved it's over and at least I'm open minded about the future. Vucevic is a baller in five years this trade is gonna look a whole lot better because he's heading that way.

J.J. Redick to Toronto. Book it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    • Affalo
    • Harrington
    • Vucevic
    • Harkless
    • 3 protected 1st rounders

Plus other unannounced assets. They could have done a lot worse. If I'm a Magic fan I'm relieved it's over and at least I'm open minded about the future. Vucevic is a baller in five years this trade is gonna look a whole lot better because he's heading that way.

J.J. Redick to Toronto. Book it!
    Harkless, Afflalo, and Vucevic could be gems in the next couple. Not to mention they already have Nicholson - the fellow Canadian big man - who dominated Summer League. Orlando will be a losing team, but the future looks bright, not to mention the 3 first rounders.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, if the Raptors got half of that for Bosh it would have looked twice as good as what they actually got.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Calderon + Derozan + Amir/Ed should net us a very solid wing.

Blatantly incorrect. No player you mentioned has trade value. Getting a "very solid" player for the space parts you mentioned out amount to highway robbery.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, if the Raptors got half of that for Bosh it would have looked twice as good as what they actually got.
    Well, I guess you are right, but the Raptors are looking very good as well right now I can honestly say.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoBan wrote: View Post
    Blatantly incorrect. No player you mentioned has trade value. Getting a "very solid" player for the space parts you mentioned out amount to highway robbery.
    Hahahaha, this made me laugh. Thanks for that.

You are incorrect my friend. Any team would welcome EITHER of these players on their team. Mostly contenders or young teams.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I guess you are right, but the Raptors are looking very good as well right now I can honestly say.
    Sure you can, they didn't get much for Bosh. It is what it is. The current team wasn't a direct result of what they got for Bosh, well not planned anyway. It worked out well but you can't tell me the plan was to draft 5th and that JV would fall to 5th. Colangelo did a good job of acting on his toes after letting Bosh go for virtually nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure you can, they didn't get much for Bosh. It is what it is. The current team wasn't a direct result of what they got for Bosh, well not planned anyway. It worked out well but you can't tell me the plan was to draft 5th and that JV would fall to 5th. Colangelo did a good job of acting on his toe after letting Bosh go for virtually nothing.
    Wasn't it a sign-and-trade for a TPE?

And yes, I can't tell you Colangelo's plan was to have JV drafted lower than expected, but I can tell you he didn't do a bad job of recreating the team from bottom up.

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't it a sign-and-trade for a TPE?
    Yeah, virtually nothing. A S&T for something that he could turn around and wave in the air and say "see, we got something". Great, how many three and rebounds did the TPE get last year?

And yes, I can't tell you Colangelo's plan was to have JV drafted lower than expected, but I can tell you he didn't do a bad job of recreating the team from bottom up.
    I'll reserve judgment until after I see something on court.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll reserve judgment until after I see something on court.
    Can't deny the fact Colangelo made something look good on paper for once.

Post Thanks / Like

Define "good". I good below .500 now?

Post Thanks / Like

Define "good". I good below .500 now?
    Good = Competitive, playoff potential.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good = Competitive, playoff potential.
    I don't call that good. I call it another step forward with many steps to go.

Post Thanks / Like

I call that mediocre unless we're going to adjust our expectations down because the team has been mismanaged for most of its existence. I'm not personally going there.

Mediocre is better than pathetic. Don't get me wrong.

Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

BC has time and again proved himself to be an average GM. letting go of bosh on a free is just one of his many decisions which scream mediocrity. I don't know what the fuss is about. Maybe they get him mixed up with his dad.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep hoping he will live up to the hype. I keep trying to have an open mind and overall I keep getting disappointed. Mediocre results more times than not has to start dwarfing the impressive sales pitches. How many lemons are we gonna buy from the hot sales lady(figuratively speaking) before we wise up? I'm not sure but what I am sure of is that I have my fingers crossed on this next direction just like the past directions although the whole Nash attempt which led to Landry flies in the face of "the plan" Colangelo presented immediately after getting his last SHORT extension...

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep hoping he will live up to the hype. I keep trying to have an open mind and overall I keep getting disappointed. Mediocre results more times than not has to start dwarfing the impressive sales pitches. How many lemons are we gonna buy from the hot sales lady(figuratively speaking) before we wise up? I'm not sure but what I am sure of is that I have my fingers crossed on this next direction just like the past directions although the whole Nash attempt which led to Landry flies in the face of "the plan" Colangelo presented immediately after getting his last SHORT extension...
    Question to which I have no answer and am not pushing one way or the other.... just asking:

Do you think it is possible people higher than BC in MLSE were pushing Nash knowing what a cash cow it would be?

Again, just asking. I don't think so (as in I think BC wanted to pursue Nash) but I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility he was encouraged to try to make it happen.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    ...I don't think so (as in I think BC wanted to pursue Nash) but I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility he was encouraged to try to make it happen.
    As you are clearly alluding to Matt, running a sports and entertainment empire is a business. I do think that Colangelo would walk if he was being pushed too hard, in terms of upper level dictating his moves, since he could obviously get a job elsewhere, but I am sure he understands that the Raptors have to make money.

In his mind, if they are making money (with a successful Nash trade) he may be able to justify strictly business moves by believing that the organization would be willing to dabble in luxury tax range to field a better product. If the Raps could have a better product (which leads to improved attendance and TV deals and endorsements etc. by moving into luxury tax range, I am sure they would, because bottom line is, what's the net at the end of the year?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure the only phone call Colangelo is making right now is to the suicide hot line. With Bynum going to Philly the Atl division is ridiculously competitive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Do you think it is possible people higher than BC in MLSE were pushing Nash knowing what a cash cow it would be?

Again, just asking. I don't think so (as in I think BC wanted to pursue Nash) but I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility he was encouraged to try to make it happen.
    I don't think so for two reason:

1. When he initially took the job it was under the condition that no one higher up would get involved with roster decisions.
    2. The past board members illustrated quite well the horrible results when non-basketball people stick their noses into the on court product.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information