Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Raptors be on the phone with Denver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

geo wrote: View Post
    He did a great job but honestly he had a lot more pieces available than toronto did. He does deserve a ton of credit with the moves he made espcially the melo fiasco and this recent AI trade. However the only problem with denver is they are in the western conference, so they really won't do much damage with LA and OKC
    Geo, I hate to do it here but you're not answering your PM's(maybe you don't know you are able to send/receive PM's?). Do you want a spot in the NFL Dynasty league as you expressed interest but never got back to me. There is only one spot left so you might lose out if you don't act soon.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
      I agree. The problem is if you trade for Wilson Chandler and Landry Fields is not involved in said trade, you now have the $6 million man sitting on the bench.

I am OK with that as long as Bionic Woman fights fembots as halftime entertainment. Mud not required but it would be a nice addition.

I am also uncertain whether Wilson Chandler can be traded before 6 months have elapsed since he signed his contract extension with the Nuggets.
      This brings up an important point in my mind that the Fields' contract is not going to be an easy one to trade. What happens if a good SF does hit the market (cough, cough Rudy Gay) once the luxury tax penalties kick in? $6.5 Million to come off the bench? Between the Landry and Amir's contracts we're stock piling difficult to move contracts.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
        This brings up an important point in my mind that the Fields' contract is not going to be an easy one to trade. What happens if a good SF does hit the market (cough, cough Rudy Gay) once the luxury tax penalties kick in? $6.5 Million to come off the bench? Between the Landry and Amir's contracts we're stock piling difficult to move contracts.
        Luxury tax line is expected to be $75M after this upcoming season - but that is speculation and could very well be lower or higher.

There is an assumption being made here that DeRozan is still the starting 2-guard. I think Fields is a better SG than SF, fwiw.

Comment

Good point about Fields' natural position, but imo DeRozan is a MUCH better option for SG between the two. Despite all of the criticisms about DD's game he still manages to score the ball and athletically he has so much more going for him than Landry. I could very well be wrong as I have no stats to back me up, but I think if you give Fields the same amount of touches that DD got last season he would not be able to score the ball as well as DeMar.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Luxury tax line is expected to be $75M after this upcoming season - but that is speculation and could very well be lower or higher.

There is an assumption being made here that DeRozan is still the starting 2-guard. I think Fields is a better SG than SF, fwiw.
            And what happens if DeRozan has a breakout year? I know the market will dictate he gets paid for sure then. The change in style of PG's to Lowry might help him step forward for all we know.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
              Good point about Fields' natural position, but imo DeRozan is a MUCH better option for SG between the two. Despite all of the criticisms about DD's game he still manages to score the ball and athletically he has so much more going for him than Landry. I could very well be wrong as I have no stats to back me up, but I think if you give Fields the same amount of touches that DD got last season he would not be able to score the ball as well as DeMar.
              But Landry is the better defender, rebounder, and outside shooter. Of course, Demar is the better overall scorer, but IMO Fields is the better overall player up to date

Comment

DeMar has a large upside and was taken in the top ten. There will be a strong desire/pressure to see this pick through unless a great trade is made.

Comment

Mega props to Uriji for what hes done for that franchise. He's kept them fiscally responsible while somehow becoming more competitive. Does that ever happen?

Nevermind he's the one GM who had the balls to trade a disgruntled superstar and end up a better team.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
                    Excellent post. This is one of the very few rational trade posts that I see on here. Much more thoughtful and realistic than the typical "lets trade Jose for [insert borderline all star here]".
                    Um ... the poster suggests that Denver can amnesty Amir, when only Toronto can do that ... next summer. Not very rational.

Comment

The only deal I'd really be interested in doing with Denver, since I highly doubt either Iguodala or Gallinari are available, would be to offer Amir ($6.05M, 3 yrs left) for Chandler ($5.93M, 4 yrs left). Toronto could even add a 2nd round pick (theirs or Sacramento's) to sweeten the deal, if need be.

Denver's only real weak position is PF. Faried had a decent half season in a shortened season, but is completely unproven and could easily have a 'sophmore slump'. Randolph is more of a PF/SF tweener. I also can't see either of their backup C's (Mozgov & Koufos) seeing much time at PF, as I don't think they're mobile enough to cover the quicker, more athletic PFs in the league.

Chandler is coming off hip surgery and will be pushed by Brewer (contract year) & Q.Miller (rookie) for playing time at backup SF, and by Fournier (European rookie) & Hamilton (2nd year player) at backup SG. A three-headed wing rotation of Gallinari/Iguodala/Chandler would normally be quite exciting but, given Chandler's salary & injury, as well as the young depth they have at both wing positions, I could see Denver potentially using him as an asset to upgrade their PF rotation.

---

Aside from adding veteran wing depth and clearing up the PF logjam, the other thing I like about a trade like this is that it makes DeRozan even more expendable. I like DeRozan and think he could still improve, but he hasn't developed anywhere close to what I had expected, plus he'll be looking for a big payday after this season. Calderon (expiring contract) & DeRozan & 1 or 2 2nd round pick(s) would be a pretty enticing package at the trade deadline... *cough* Gay *cough* Even if they just kept DeRozan, they'd have a very solid lineup.

Starters: Valanciunas, Bargnani, Chandler, DeRozan, Lowry
                      2nd Unit: Davis, Kleiza, Fields, Ross, Calderon (Gray at C for certain matchups)
                      Bench: Lucas III, Acy, Anderson
                      Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Aug 10, 2012, 10:57 AM.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                        Amir Johnson's will be the rotation of Kenneth Faried. Very capable of starting, and giving fine production at both ends. Another energy player similar to Faried. Amir Johnson can also be used for the amnesty provision (correct if not mistaken) for Denver has not used it yet, to clear up cap space and acquire flexibility with the new CBA.
                        mistaken.
                        TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                          Geo, I hate to do it here but you're not answering your PM's(maybe you don't know you are able to send/receive PM's?). Do you want a spot in the NFL Dynasty league as you expressed interest but never got back to me. There is only one spot left so you might lose out if you don't act soon.
                          lol i completely forgot but ya i just joined

Comment

Ha, ha, fair enough. Welcome aboard! We have full league now. Good stuff.

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
                              But Landry is the better defender, rebounder, and outside shooter. Of course, Demar is the better overall scorer, but IMO Fields is the better overall player up to date
                              Landry shot 26% form 3 point territory last season. Though DeMar isn't a great outside shooter either I wouldn't say Landry has an advantage there. I'll say that Fields has higher basketball IQ (right now), but he doesn't have any of the physical abilities which allows DD to get his shot over almost any SG. DD's mid range shot is improving nicely and he has WAY more upside that Fields. I think the gap between Fields' and DD's defense will narrow in time as DD's basketball IQ develops. Coach Casey will also have a full training camp to get him going.

On another note I think DD has a bit more in common with Lowry and T. Ross which should motivate him to get better and Ross should push him during practice. The absence of Weems, his former best buddy, may have had an advers affect on him last season. No facts to back that up however, but I'm expecting DD to take a good sized step forward this season.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                                Mega props to Uriji for what hes done for that franchise. He's kept them fiscally responsible while somehow becoming more competitive. Does that ever happen?

Nevermind he's the one GM who had the balls to trade a disgruntled superstar and end up a better team.
                                I think it's as much a knock on Melo. He's supposed to be this amazing "superstar", he gets traded and his former team improves while his new team falls below expectations while he clashes with a highly respected coach and gets him axed.

Comment

Working...
                                X