Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Raptors be on the phone with Denver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Define "good". I good below .500 now?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      Define "good". I good below .500 now?
      Good = Competitive, playoff potential.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
        Good = Competitive, playoff potential.
        I don't call that good. I call it another step forward with many steps to go.

Comment

I call that mediocre unless we're going to adjust our expectations down because the team has been mismanaged for most of its existence. I'm not personally going there.

Mediocre is better than pathetic. Don't get me wrong.

Comment

BC has time and again proved himself to be an average GM. letting go of bosh on a free is just one of his many decisions which scream mediocrity. I don't know what the fuss is about. Maybe they get him mixed up with his dad.

Comment

I keep hoping he will live up to the hype. I keep trying to have an open mind and overall I keep getting disappointed. Mediocre results more times than not has to start dwarfing the impressive sales pitches. How many lemons are we gonna buy from the hot sales lady(figuratively speaking) before we wise up? I'm not sure but what I am sure of is that I have my fingers crossed on this next direction just like the past directions although the whole Nash attempt which led to Landry flies in the face of "the plan" Colangelo presented immediately after getting his last SHORT extension...

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                I keep hoping he will live up to the hype. I keep trying to have an open mind and overall I keep getting disappointed. Mediocre results more times than not has to start dwarfing the impressive sales pitches. How many lemons are we gonna buy from the hot sales lady(figuratively speaking) before we wise up? I'm not sure but what I am sure of is that I have my fingers crossed on this next direction just like the past directions although the whole Nash attempt which led to Landry flies in the face of "the plan" Colangelo presented immediately after getting his last SHORT extension...
                Question to which I have no answer and am not pushing one way or the other.... just asking:

Do you think it is possible people higher than BC in MLSE were pushing Nash knowing what a cash cow it would be?

Again, just asking. I don't think so (as in I think BC wanted to pursue Nash) but I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility he was encouraged to try to make it happen.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  ...I don't think so (as in I think BC wanted to pursue Nash) but I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility he was encouraged to try to make it happen.
                  As you are clearly alluding to Matt, running a sports and entertainment empire is a business. I do think that Colangelo would walk if he was being pushed too hard, in terms of upper level dictating his moves, since he could obviously get a job elsewhere, but I am sure he understands that the Raptors have to make money.

In his mind, if they are making money (with a successful Nash trade) he may be able to justify strictly business moves by believing that the organization would be willing to dabble in luxury tax range to field a better product. If the Raps could have a better product (which leads to improved attendance and TV deals and endorsements etc. by moving into luxury tax range, I am sure they would, because bottom line is, what's the net at the end of the year?

Comment

I'm sure the only phone call Colangelo is making right now is to the suicide hot line. With Bynum going to Philly the Atl division is ridiculously competitive.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      Do you think it is possible people higher than BC in MLSE were pushing Nash knowing what a cash cow it would be?

Again, just asking. I don't think so (as in I think BC wanted to pursue Nash) but I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility he was encouraged to try to make it happen.
                      I don't think so for two reason:
                      1. When he initially took the job it was under the condition that no one higher up would get involved with roster decisions.
                      2. The past board members illustrated quite well the horrible results when non-basketball people stick their noses into the on court product.

Comment

• i like the deal for orlando except for harrington. i think he could win them a couple games that could hurt the tank. i also think denver is happy as hell he is off the team. if i am orlando i am trying to flip harrington for a draft pick right now. good young players and 3 first round picks is much better than what nj was offering if they were forced to settle.

i think that if philly uses bynum as option number 1, he will stay. he wants to be the guy and there he can be. philly is a good city, not la good but better than a lot of cities around.

denvers give up for iggy sure makes our fantasies look silly. i think affalo,harrington and a first rounder are better than any package we were tossing around. our best bet was salary dump there.

from a toronto perspective this helps us out. i think it clearly gets orlando out of our way and we were going to be battling with philly anyway, so instead of competeing with two. one is now out and one is now in.

miami
                        philly
                        indy
                        boston
                        atlanta

with the rest fighting for the last 3 spots
                        us, nj, ny, chi, wash

Comment

• I don't think the Magic are out to tank. They got a lot of good players.

Comment

• I don't know why people are sleepin on Jersey. On paper that's a good team and paper is all we got to refer to right now.
                            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• Who's sleeping on the Nets? People don't call em New Jersey anymore cause they're Brooklyn...

I've heard top 3/4 in the East for BKN
                              TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

• theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
                                Who's sleeping on the Nets? People don't call em New Jersey anymore cause they're Brooklyn...

I've heard top 3/4 in the East for BKN
                                I'm still sleeping on the nets. To me an aging Allstar shouldn't be able to bring a team from 12th to 3rd. Granted williams will likely be healthy but they gave up all their depth in the trade. Their second unit is lacking they have a good starting lineup but I don't think it's enough to compete with elite teams. I see them as no better than new york.

Comment

Working...
                                X