Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Raptors be on the phone with Denver?

Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    you want to add ANOTHER rookie to Ross/Acy/Valanciunas ?
    I think it is safe to say we have no chance of winning the championships for many years. Might as well stock them up and hope someone turns out to be any good.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Off topic, but does anyone follow Mark Cuban on twitter? I would really like to know his thoughts on the Howard trade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Off topic, but does anyone follow Mark Cuban on twitter? I would really like to know his thoughts on the Howard trade.
    I hate the fact that the league seemed to cave on the CBA negotiations last year... it's pretty obvious that the deep pocketed, big city franchises will never have much concern with luxury tax! Between Miami, NYK and now LAL, I think this is just adding to the rationale behind a true hard cap in the next CBA, to make the NBA more on par with the NHL and NFL.

It's a bit of a joke now, how players want to gang up rather than actually win on their own, back in the days of Magic, Larry, Isaiah, Michael, Dominique, the Glide, the Dream, the Mailman, etc... you knew the face of each franchise and associated the star player with that team, for the long-term.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I hate the fact that the league seemed to cave on the CBA negotiations last year... it's pretty obvious that the deep pocketed, big city franchises will never have much concern with luxury tax! Between Miami, NYK and now LAL, I think this is just adding to the rationale behind a true hard cap in the next CBA, to make the NBA more on par with the NHL and NFL.

It's a bit of a joke now, how players want to gang up rather than actually win on their own, back in the days of Magic, Larry, Isaiah, Michael, Dominique, the Glide, the Dream, the Mailman, etc... you knew the face of each franchise and associated the star player with that team, for the long-term.
    I don't agree totally here.

The Lakers got Nash through sign and trade. Tax payers will never be permitted to do that again after this summer.

The history of the Knicks (and Blazers for that matter) shows that spending big guarantees nothing.

Howard is not signing an extension in LA so this could back fire on the Lakers (although I don't think that is likely). Also the window for LA is 2-3 seasons with the new "BIG 4".... lol - "I see your Big 3 and raise you a Big Middle Finger, Miami."

Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Once you have played for the lakers you don't want to leave. Dwight will be the face of the franchise when kobe calls it a day.

edit :
    Dwight will get the maximum money by re-signing for them.
    Last edited by draftedraptor; Fri Aug 10th, 2012 at 01:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    He might actually be thrilled! Apparently Howard has no intentions of signing an extension with LA, so that he can become a UFA after the season. Dallas is the only team from his original three teams that will actually have the cap space to sign him next season, so he could very well become a 1-year rental for LA, before becoming a Mav.

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree. The hard cap was the one defining part of the new CBA, which if it came into fruition would have leveled the playing field. But instead you have a team like OKC, whom did things the right way through the draft and smart pick up's in free agency whom are now up against a juggernaut that can keep spending as they see fit because money is no object. This was supposed to be a big year for OKC because they would have to make a decision on two of their main players for next season. Their window is opened widest this year, but it's going to be really tough coming out of the West if they have to get past that team.

Post Thanks / Like

He might actually be thrilled! Apparently Howard has no intentions of signing an extension with LA, so that he can become a UFA after the season. Dallas is the only team from his original three teams that will actually have the cap space to sign him next season, so he could very well become a 1-year rental for LA, before becoming a Mav.
    He may have a change of thought if they win a championship. He's smart and knows he can't beat Miami playing for New Jersey or Dallas. Plus, who in their right mind would want to leave L.A.?

Post Thanks / Like

He is going to become an UFA for the same reason that Bynum is going to do the same in Philly.

They can both sign 3 year, $60M dollar extensions now or wait 1 year and sign a 5-year, $100M extension (like Deron Williams did) with current new teams or sign for 4 years and $80M somewhere else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    He is going to become an UFA for the same reason that Bynum is going to do the same in Philly.

They can both sign 3 year, $60M dollar extensions now or wait 1 year and sign a 5-year, $100M extension (like Deron Williams did) with current new teams or sign for 4 years and $80M somewhere else.
    Yup. It's interesting that it's conceivable that none of the big names is this trade could be with their new teams for more than just one season. Howard and Bynum could become UFAs and Iggy could choose not to use his player option. Wouldn't that be an interesting turn of events!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    Wilson Chandler is an average quality starter, when healthy. Amir Johnson is a good bench player.

I think it will take far more than a 2nd round pick to sweeten the deal before Denver even consider such a trade.
    True. BUT: Amir is a fair backup at 4 or 5, & bigs are always in high demand. In addition Chandler has some issues (post injury?). I really believe this is a fair trade (maybe from a Rap fan point of view?)

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote geo wrote: View Post
    raptors dont get any better with this trade....
    Enlighten me than.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there anyone here that knows exactly why Orlando din't want to take either of the all-stars? Or was there no choice whatsoever in this trade?

Post Thanks / Like

I would have loved to see Morey's reaction when he found out about this trade

Post Thanks / Like

Dead man walking?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Is there anyone here that knows exactly why Orlando din't want to take either of the all-stars? Or was there no choice whatsoever in this trade?
    Rob Hennigan is taking the Sam Presti/Seattle approach and totally tearing the team apart. Short term pain for long term gain. Hennigan was the assistant GM in OKC for the last 2 years and had been there for 4 years, I believe.

Presti sent Rashard Lewis to Orlando for nothing but a 2nd round pick and a TPE (oh, back when the TPE were useful).

The plan appears to be to tank this season and next entering July 2014 with 2 high lottery picks and $20M in cap space.

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mapko wrote: View Post
    True. BUT: Amir is a fair backup at 4 or 5, & bigs are always in high demand. In addition Chandler has some issues (post injury?). I really believe this is a fair trade (maybe from a Rap fan point of view?)
    "Bigs" might be in high demand .. but I wouldnt say thats true for guys who are 6'9" and relatively skinny. Yes, big bodied 7 footers are always in demand .. but Amir isnt one of them.

I just dont see how anyone can think this is a fair trade at all. Amir is fine .. an average talent and decent 8-9th man in the rotation .. good hustle guy. But he has a pretty bad to bad (depending on your POV) contract .. meaning in the trade world (player value +- contract) he just marginally ahead of positive. So - the only way that I can see this being a anywhere near fair trade is if you think that Chandler's talent plus or minus contract is also just above positive. Given that his contract is certainly no worse than Amir's, the only way you can come to that conclusion is if you think hes also an 8-9th man .. and if thats the case, then why are we even talking about trading for him!

If you believe hes a legit starter than can really help the team .. then thats what we will have to give up (think DD)...

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Rob Hennigan is taking the Sam Presti/Seattle approach and totally tearing the team apart. Short term pain for long term gain. Hennigan was the assistant GM in OKC for the last 2 years and had been there for 4 years, I believe.

Presti sent Rashard Lewis to Orlando for nothing but a 2nd round pick and a TPE (oh, back when the TPE were useful).

The plan appears to be to tank this season and next entering July 2014 with 2 high lottery picks and $20M in cap space.
    Also, ORL had no use for Bynum, as he almost for sure wouldnt resign given how bad the team would be (philly obviously thinks different) .. and likely didnt think that Iggy as a max guy was enough to build a franchise around (I tend to agree .. and Philly has shown that to be true certainly to some extent)

Post Thanks / Like

Well it seems to be the consensus is Orlando did not get the value back, and I felt the team was always going to go under a rebuild.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Well it seems to be the consensus is Orlando did not get the value back, and I felt the team was always going to go under a rebuild.
    Just to clarify, I was only answering the question you asked earlier.

As for this deal, it could be one like Pau Gasol to LAL whereby the Grizzlies showed a few years later it was a good trade afterall.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information