Ed Davis's Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ed Davis's Progress

So with the small sample size of the 2012 Summer League what differences have you guys noticed both positive and negative. For me his form is much more smooth and balanced and he seems to be more comfortable with it. Anything else?

he looked aggressive and assertive. he was playing against inferior competition though. can't really say anything concrete until novemeber/december sometime. with luck he got some chemistry with tross for when they are on the court together.

Comment

his free throw shooting looked to be improved thats 1 thing that should change from the regular season or summer league

Comment

for me, since we drafted him i' thought he could potentially be one of the steals of the draft and so far, hes done well.even as a raptor hes been described as one that could produce on a losing team.
        i agree that this is he is in a more of a "prove it" year from him in terms of his contract but as a puzzle player for us hes worth it in terms of his contract (low on the rookie scale for the next two years) and a high trade value, regardless of where he ends up.
        in short, hes a chip we could play that at least over a 3rd of the teams would be interested in and would be open to sacrficing their scoring and guard options in order to deal with thei"re front court of the future

Comment

I didn't really see much of him in summer league. Has he beefed up at all? I think he would greatly benefit from adding more muscle.
          Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

From what little I saw of summer league and Ed, the main thing I noticed is that his shooting form changed. He used to bring the ball above his left temple when shooting FTs, now it's on his right and no longer looks awkward. This should improve his FT shooting. He's also bulked up a bit.

Unfortunately, I still didn't see any decent offensive game from him except for hustle points. But then again we don't really need much else from him apart from that, rebounding, defense, and knocking down his FTs. Right now I cant project him to be more than a good rotation player. Hopefully a better Amir Johnson. And I like Amir a lot.

Comment

I don't know, I didn't watch too much summer ball. I tried to tune into every game at least for a bit, but it's such bad ball that I couldn't watch even one whole game. If Ed shoots better FTs that would be more than enough for me for this year. His offensive game didn't look much different. He's still pretty limited in the post, mostly having that little hook shot, though his comfort with that seems to be continuing to improve. I don't think he'll ever be that good in the post, so hopefully his FT shooting and his 12-15 ft jumper come along, because he will need them if he wants a major role even as the 3rd big on a team. Otherwise he is just a solid backup PF. I'm a big fan of his though and still prefer his game much over Amir's. He's not always "there", but when he is he plays a lot smarter most of the time on both sides of the court.

Comment

He showed off a decent midrange jumper that he never had before, but mostly it was his assertiveness that really blew me away. That's always been his biggest issue imo.

He's still got tons of work to do.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

While he did show signs of agressiveness .. the biggest thing for me is he still doesnt seem to have a "go to" offensive move. He still seems kind of lost out there offensively. He seems to want the ball sort of between the high and low post (I guess thats where he feels confident he can hit the jumper). Problem is, from there if he tries to make a move hes kind of in no mans land and then is either forced into a weird angle shot off glass or a jump hook thats too far out.

Id much prefer to see him get the ball in the low post and go to work. Maybe he doesnt have the strength to get that position all the time .. but he would be much more successful imo ..

Comment

Agree his form on his shot looked much better and he also looked more confident at the line. He also hit a number of elbow jump shots at a good percentage so it looks like he's put some work in that department. Doesn't bother me he hasn't improved much in the post offensively as that's not what he's there for. If he can knock down his free throws, put on a few pounds of muscle and raise his intensity a few notches i'd be more then happy.

Comment

Trade him while he's young and still has SOME value!! The guy has no ceiling and will always be a 10-11th man on any team he plays for in the nba.

Comment

ogitheserb wrote: View Post
                        The guy has no ceiling
                        so sky is the limit. im with ogitheserb, ed has limitless potential. again keep ed move amir. amir is at his cieling and it is a lot lower than, never ending

Comment

I'm a huge fan of Davis. He has the potential to average a double double with consistent minutes (25-30 minutes). Who wouldn't want a guy like that on your team? I think with proper development sky is the limit in terms of potential. I think he has a much higher ceiling than Amir (love amirs game btw) If I had to chose between Ed and Amir i would go with Ed.

Here is Coach Casey's end of the year review of Ed Davis. He seems to genuinely like ed and his work ethic.
                          We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Ed's mindset and jumpshot were the only things that I saw. He has all the ability to rebound well, score in the paint well, and be a defensive presence, but he wasn't as assertive or aggressive.

I like what I saw, yet again he was playing against D-League talent, but he proved that if he works hard, he can get around. Plus his form looked smooth.
                            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

He had a couple of post moves that had me say "WOW, ED DAVIS?"

One reminded of Chris Bosh - face up, go right, spin left, hook.

His jump shot showed progress and that is a good sign. He's still raw, but man, he has put more work than say, Deandre Jordan?
                              “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Working...
                              X