Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    The Gay dreams should be over.

If he is available, both Houston and Cleveland can kill any offer Toronto could put forth. The only hope for Toronto is Cleveland or Houston are not interested and have other plans on the trade front or in free agency (Harden for example).
    but but but I don't want my Gay dreams to be over! lol

You may very well be right. As much as Gay would be my #1 target, if I were BC, I was using him as much as an illustration for the caliber of player I would move DeRozan for. Players like Deng/Granger are too old and/or injury prone, Chandler isn't enough of an upgrade and Iggy was just traded, so Gay is about the only player from our 'starting SF' discussion from earlier this summer who appears to be even a little bit available.

I don't have nearly the same reservations about trading Davis, especially with the logjam at PF. I think DeRozan is a decent, albeit one-dimensional player at the moment. I think he still has the potential to improve further, both offensively (better handles and consistent long-range shooting can be improved through dedicated practice) and defensively (Casey, better team defense and experience should all help him). I also think DeRozan still has pretty decent value around the league, but this is definitely a make-or-break year for him. With his contract up and he'll be looking for a big payday, plus the Raps just drafted Ross, potentially giving them more leverage with DeRozan and more options with their wing positions.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      but but but I don't want my Gay dreams to be over! lol

You may very well be right. As much as Gay would be my #1 target, if I were BC, I was using him as much as an illustration for the caliber of player I would move DeRozan for. Players like Deng/Granger are too old and/or injury prone, Chandler isn't enough of an upgrade and Iggy was just traded, so Gay is about the only player from our 'starting SF' discussion from earlier this summer who appears to be even a little bit available.

I don't have nearly the same reservations about trading Davis, especially with the logjam at PF. I think DeRozan is a decent, albeit one-dimensional player at the moment. I think he still has the potential to improve further, both offensively (better handles and consistent long-range shooting can be improved through dedicated practice) and defensively (Casey, better team defense and experience should all help him). I also think DeRozan still has pretty decent value around the league, but this is definitely a make-or-break year for him. With his contract up and he'll be looking for a big payday, plus the Raps just drafted Ross, potentially giving them more leverage with DeRozan and more options with their wing positions.
      It would be interesting to compile a list of good, veteran, high-priced wings (especially SFs) who migh be available at the trade deadline, possibly for a package of Calderon & DeRozan & Davis.

Comment

It would be interesting to compile a list of good, veteran, high-priced wings (especially SFs) who migh be available at the trade deadline, possibly for a package of Calderon & DeRozan & Davis.
        One word:

BALL
        Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

I'm slowly waking up from my Gay dream as well

Of the quality SF's in the league (that are potentially available) this would be my order of preference:

1) Gay
          2) Deng
          3) Granger
          4) Gallinari

Prince would be a potential 5th. However I wouldn't really consider him an upgrade over Fields/Kleiza/DD so he's off my list.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
            I'm slowly waking up from my Gay dream as well

Of the quality SF's in the league (that are potentially available) this would be my order of preference:

1) Gay
            2) Deng
            3) Granger
            4) Gallinari

Prince would be a potential 5th. However I wouldn't really consider him an upgrade over Fields/Kleiza/DD so he's off my list.
            That's the problem... Gay and Gallinari are really the only upgrades who are also young enough to be able to grow/develop with the Raps' current core group. Deng, Granger and even Iguodala are all pushing 30 and likely only have 3 peak years left, which is realistically the time when guys like Valanciunas & Ross will be peaking. Prince is even older and I think he's been on the decline for a few years already.

I really don't think Gallinari is even available. He was the key return for 'Melo and was having a breakout season last year, blossoming into a true star. I think he'd be the last wing Denver traded away, unless they were getting a true superstar back in return.

For me, it keeps coming back to Gay, whether I want it to or not. He's the only player that fits all the criteria I have for a young, stud wing. The main questions are: 1, will Memphis make him available and 2, what would they want for him (either from us, or that we'd need to acquire in additional moves).

It very well might wind up being that keeping the current wing rotation is the best option, at least for the next year or two.

Comment

That's the problem... Gay and Gallinari are really the only upgrades who are also young enough to be able to grow/develop with the Raps' current core group. Deng, Granger and even Iguodala are all pushing 30 and likely only have 3 peak years left, which is realistically the time when guys like Valanciunas & Ross will be peaking. Prince is even older and I think he's been on the decline for a few years already.

I really don't think Gallinari is even available. He was the key return for 'Melo and was having a breakout season last year, blossoming into a true star. I think he'd be the last wing Denver traded away, unless they were getting a true superstar back in return.

For me, it keeps coming back to Gay, whether I want it to or not. He's the only player that fits all the criteria I have for a young, stud wing. The main questions are: 1, will Memphis make him available and 2, what would they want for him (either from us, or that we'd need to acquire in additional moves).

It very well might wind up being that keeping the current wing rotation is the best option, at least for the next year or two.

Deng is only 27 (birthday in April). So I wouldn't classify him as old just yet. But yes, I'd rather have Gay over Deng any day of the week. I'd be okay with the current wing rotation. I wonder if MKG or Barnes will be available in 1 or 2 years

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                ...I wonder if MKG or Barnes will be available in 1 or 2 years
                Sure they will...if they disappoint at the NBA level.

Comment

Working...
                X