Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early look at the ROY chances for the Raptors rookies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Depends on how much one values the blocked shot
    I value the ability to block shots highly when you can block them from the bench

In all seriousness though he does so much more than block shots.

Comment

[QUOTE=MyTEAM4Life;150949]First Teir
      -Damian Lillard - so look for 12-15 ppg and 7-10 apg

Those look like ROY numbers to me. This year's crop is also heavy with guys with upside and very few polished prospects.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

MyTEAM4Life wrote: View Post
        First Teir
        -Damian Lillard - He can flat out play, he can shoot, drive, pass, but he has 2 established NBA scorers on his team that will require the majority of touches - so look for 12-15 ppg and 7-10 apg

Everyone else who could possible be ROY are scorers - and thus they wont have a chance because i doubt any of them will average enough points to beat out Davis or Lillard
        there is no way lillard gets numbers that high. He'll be lucky if he gets more than 5 apg.

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
          there is no way lillard gets numbers that high. He'll be lucky if he gets more than 5 apg.
          Lilliard will start and be the PG - which means he is the primary ball handler, also he is good (there is no denying that) the problem is how good will he be in his first NBA year - and 7 apg is a realistic number for a chris paul type of player
          Also what people probably have forgotten is that Lillard was a senior out of college meaning he has experience and will probably acclimate faster to the NBA than the one and done rookies.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
            Better defender than Anthony Davis? That's high praise for JV.
            Not in terms of raw talent but keep in mind JV has been defending grown men while Anthony Davis has been defending kids.

Comment

Plus at this stage in his career, a gentle breeze could push Davis out of the blocks...

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                Not in terms of raw talent but keep in mind JV has been defending grown men while Anthony Davis has been defending kids.
                I HATE when people say this, it's never been the case where a rookie from Europe has come in and dominated from day one, no matter how many washed up and non-NBA caliber men they've played against.

They said the same bullshit "he's played against men" line for Andrea and Darko and Tskikivilli and Lampe and Nowitzki and Yi and everyone else you wanna name who made it and who didn't. They all suck compared to NCAA guys in the first year(s) because it's a big transition and the game isn't the same.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  What matters is this: By the end of this season, it will look like Davis has been defending kids all season, while JV will look like he's been defending grown men.

Davis will be a runaway leader for ROY. JV will not come close. I'm not sure JV will even win ROY for the Raptors.
                  your pal,
                  ebrian

Comment

I think JV will be in the top in terms of the rookie ladder, but not a consideration for ROY.

Top 3 rookies will go...

Davis, Lillard, Beal.
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

ROY for either JV or Ross will be tough.. but I'm hoping that they at least get consideration for the all rookie team and the rookie/sophomore all-star game.

I don't believe they decide the all rookie team based on position. So even with competition (Waiters/Beal/etc for Ross, Davis/Drummond/etc for JV) they should both have a chance of making the team (or the game).

Comment

they do to a certain degree, basically just lumping them in as C, F or G.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                          I HATE when people say this, it's never been the case where a rookie from Europe has come in and dominated from day one, no matter how many washed up and non-NBA caliber men they've played against.

They said the same bullshit "he's played against men" line for Andrea and Darko and Tskikivilli and Lampe and Nowitzki and Yi and everyone else you wanna name who made it and who didn't. They all suck compared to NCAA guys in the first year(s) because it's a big transition and the game isn't the same.
                          You missed a key point here. JV is not a finesse player and who said anything about "dominating"? Holster that gun there partner.
                          Last edited by Apollo; Wed Aug 15, 2012, 04:13 PM. Reason: iphone

Comment

I just can't see him getting it. Playing time is such a huge factor, and Davis is going to get a lot more, especially early on. By the time Jonas starts being able to play 25-30 minutes (if he gets there this season), I think Davis will have it locked up.

Comment

I also think Beal or Barnes have the best shot after that. I'm not sold on Lillard. He has to run an offense, something he struggled to do in shitty NCAA ball. Beal and Barnes could both get a decent amount of opportunity, especially Beal, being a shooter on a team that should run a lot of pick n roll with Wall and Nene.

Comment

Here are Okafor's stats from when he won ROY in 04-05:

10.9 boards, 0.9 assists, 0.447 fg%, 0.8 steals, 1.7 blocks and 15.1 points all in 35.1 minutes per game.

Amare's stats from when he won in 02-03:

8.8 boards, 1.0 assists, 0.472 fg%, 0.8 steals, 1.1 blocks and 13.5 points in 31.3 minutes per game.

There have been plenty of other bigs who've won the ROY, but I didn't look at stats before Tim Duncan won (his numbers were insane!). If we were to use Okafor and Amare as a bare minimum on what it would take for JV to have a legitimate shot at winning ROY, it seems to me that all it would take is for Jonas to be able to stay on the floor.

I think if he get 30+ minutes a night, the only thing stopping him from being in the top 3 rookies is if other rookies step up majorly and accumulate awesome stats ala Duncan when he was a rook.

In the end, fouls and improved play by any of the other current Raptor bigs could play a factor into Jonas' minutes.
                                Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

Working...
                                X