Triano's coaching improving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triano's coaching improving

I know a lot of us were frustrated by some of Triano's coaching decisions (substitutions, plays, rotations, strategy, Calderjack combo etc.) earlier in the season, but I for one am noticing an improvement. Yes, yes I'm no expert but being able to look at things from a distance, can sometimes give you a perspective you can't see when your in the thick of it. Triano was catching a lot of heat not too long ago but what we have to remember is that he is basically a rookie coach in the NBA. There will be a learning curve and he seems to be adjusting nicely right now. He will still make mistakes and decisions that will frustrate us-like not bringing in JJ (who was having a great game) sooner into the 4th quarter in the Lakers game.

Oh, those are a crafty group of coaches on that Raptors staff.

For most of the first three quarters, I’m wondering when they’ll send a second defender at Dwyane Wade or try to trap him coming off screens because they’d just been forcing him one way with only one defender.

Well, here comes the fourth quarter and here comes an entirely different look and it was all planned, as it turns out, according to Jay after the game:

“Throughout the game, we tried to show him different guys ad then we were sitting on trapping him. We waited and waited and waited and finally, in the fourth quarter, we thought it was time to hit him and make somebody else to have to make shots because the way he had it going for a while there, it was one of those games where you didn’t want to give him the opportunity to take over.

“We didn’t want to wait too long but he gave it up and other guys missed shots so the strategy worked.”

So there is method to the apparent madness.
    What are your guys' take on Triano's coaching right now. Is he performing better than expected, not meeting expectations? Is the fact that the Raps are winning games now hiding his deficiencies? Or are the Raps' winning ways a direct correlation to Triano's coaching abilities?

To coach effective defense and of course offense you have to coach to your players' strengths.

With nine new players and this being Triano's first year as Raptors head coach it has been and will continue to be a learning process. You can only learn so much from film, though it helps a great deal, nothing substitutes for actual game experience.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I think Triano is figuring it all out. The way to complain to refs, substitutions, effective timeouts, etc. There is so much to coaching, so for the team to be able to turn it around in December was indicative of Triano's development.

Comment

While I have sympathy for the "give the rookie coach some time" pov, one must concede that while the hat he wears is new (head coach in the nba), the job he has is not with a new organization nor that he was an asst. coach with this team for a few years, head coach of the CBT at the Olympic level and had at least elbow rubbing with some other good coaches/players on the US Olympic team. I for one thought he was a good choice and that he would hit the ground running given his interim position last season. Well it did not quite pan out that way. And I was doubtful.

Given that there are signs of the team's improvement and that there are no real chemistry problems (that I can glean) my guess is that it was the number of new players and the time required to not just understand their individual skills but when and how to use them as being the main factors...not his coaching acumen particularly. I am impressed with how he chose to put the ball in Turk's hands at the end of the Laker's game inspite of his troubles. I am back on the wagon. Unlike other coaches who have been there JT will face other new tests come playoff time. But thats the nature of the team as a whole.

Comment

I think part of peoples frustrations and impatience stems from the fact that we realize this is a make or break year for the Dinos. Triano has been put in a difficult situation to succeed to "acceptable" levels. The challenges Triano faced at the start of the season and which continue are well known so I will not repeat them. Triano is expected to take the team to the 2nd round (or at least challenge to make it out of the 1st rd) for only the 2nd time in team history, in his first full season as a head coach, in order to convince CB to resign. Not an easy task to say the least. Being such an important season for the Dino's franchise, it is understandable but unfair imo, to hold Triano so tightly under the microscope.

This is not to say that I haven't been guilty myself of being upset to no end at some of his moves.

Comment

you are right .. i am one of those that has been tough on Triano this season .. and he has improved a bit and that can only be a good thing for the raptors
            ~ Court Surfing ~

Comment

Working...
            X