Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric Hughes - Offseason Discussion

Some interesting thoughts on the kids from Coach Hughes:

Well we finished Summer League and I'm lucky enough that I live in Los Angeles in the off-season, so you know DeMar (DeRozan) lives there, Amir Johnson lives there, Ed Davis spends a lot of time there because his agent lives there, Terrence Ross, same thing, his agent lives there, Landry Fields, who we just signed, lives in Long Beach which is, you know, a half hour down the road; so we've pretty much been working out three to four days a week down in LA since we left Summer League
    Eddy's development has slowed a little bit because he hasn't had the opportunity that a normal player gets as far as his progression goes. Eddy's a guy that wants to learn, he never shies away from workout out and wants to get better. But during a lock-out you can only do so much. So I thought Eddy made great strides in Summer League and I'm glad that he decided to play.
    Eddy's biggest thing is that he's got to become physically stronger and not shy away from contact and accepting contact and sometimes that's hard to do in practice and the only way you can get better at it is by playing games. So again, that's why it was so important for him to have played in Summer League.
    Physical play is something [Ross] needs to work on right away. A lot of times this summer he settled for his jump shot instead of attacking the basket and making contact with the defence and that's something DeMar DeRozan is still working on, not shying away from contact and a term we use called "fouling the defence" - get into their body and foul them before they foul you.
    http://www.raptorshq.com/2012/8/16/3...-terrence-ross

Nice find and nice interview by Adam Francis.

That was really classy of Tanenbaum..... real classy.

I found this interesting:

A lot of guys come out of college and they're really good shooters but to be able to get out with that kind of release, which I call an NBA release, he definitely has that and I saw it from day one.
    I immediately thought of Quincy Miller's low jump, shoulder release on his jumper.

With Chop as a father and Ben Wallace like an uncle I never would have guessed any coach to say ED shies away from contact.

You look at DeMar, he led our team in free-throw attempts last year but you look at his numbers compared to the elite wings in the league and it's not even close in terms of how many free-throw attempts he creates. But those free-throw attempts come from winning games and from the referees respecting you and how you play and if you shy away from contact they're not going to give you anything. But if you prove that you're going to get to the free-throw line 10 to 14 times a game like a lot of those elite players do, you're going to get those calls and you're going to get the respect. So we've definitely harped on that with DeMar and he's gotten better at it and like I said, we continue to work with him on it with drills in the summer, because if he's going to take his game to the next level that's what he needs to do. You know, he's gotten better every year but still not to that status that I think he wants to be at, nor where I think he should be at so it's a work in progress.

Even though DeMar is going into his fourth year next year, which is kind of hard to believe, he's still got a lot of upside and we're going to keep working with him. The lock-out hurt DeMar as well, the lock-out hurt a lot of players, but he's had a good summer this year. Johnny Lee our strength coach has done a great job with him and DeMar hired a strength coach in LA because that "physicalness" that the Dwyane Wade's and the Kobe Bryant's and the LeBron Jameses and the Carmelo Anthony's of the league have, DeMar has to attack the game both physically and mentally if he's going to take another step up.
    Glad to see Johnny Lee in LA and DeMar hiring a strength coach.

Respect is a big issue but it goes both ways. The sulking, stupid T's, and throwing the ball the length of the court for automatic ejection once it left the court need to be addressed.

I would love nothing more for DeRozan to evolve in to that elite wing the Raps need though.... just don't see it happening. Prove me wrong, DD!

Comment

FWIW, DeMar's ceiling looks to be Maggette...

Comment

The Tim Grgurich skills camp is something I've heard great things about. The guy is somewhat of a legend apparently. Glad our guys are taking advantage of it.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          FWIW, DeMar's ceiling looks to be Maggette...
          I don't know about that. Maggette is crazy strong.

Comment

Prime wrote: View Post
            I don't know about that. Maggette is crazy strong.
            I meant less about strength, but more about the lack of deep range, and living at the FT line.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              I meant less about strength, but more about the lack of deep range, and living at the FT line.
              I like that comparison and think it's very fair and not disappointing at all (esp as DD seems far more durable than CM who hasn't played more than 77 games in a season since his rookie year). The ability to get to the line and hurt the defence by drawing fouls is greatly under appreciated. It's not pretty but this ain't no beauty contest!
              LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

I would be very happy if Derozan played like a younger maggatte 6-10 FT per game would be amazing from Derozan

Comment

MyTEAM4Life wrote: View Post
                  I would be very happy if Derozan played like a younger maggatte 6-10 FT per game would be amazing from Derozan
                  One thing is he is not getting the calls from the officials when he does attack and that I feel is frustrating for him.

Maybe this year he will be a little more established in the eyes of the referees. That pisses me off all the same. To me a foul is a foul and no players should receive preferential calls or as is the case with DeRozan non-calls!
                  Twitter:@coachclement

The best way to predict your future is to create it - Peter Drucker

Comment

there were definitely games where demar wasnt getting respect from the refs at all. hopefully with a better team around that will change. I think it was the game against philly last year where he apparently got blocked 6 times and a ton of other no calls. I had to turn the game off because most of them were just blatant no calls it was pathetic

Comment

did anyone catch Jamshid on that other thread talking to matt? halarious!

anyway, I am just not a believer in Demar. I want him to be better, I think we all do. he works hard, and has a great attitude but AT BEST he will would be a third option on a team, and more than likely a second string 2 guard. I think T-ross is our best shot right now

Comment

BCsMaBoi wrote: View Post
                        One thing is he is not getting the calls from the officials when he does attack and that I feel is frustrating for him.

Maybe this year he will be a little more established in the eyes of the referees. That pisses me off all the same. To me a foul is a foul and no players should receive preferential calls or as is the case with DeRozan non-calls!

DD doesnt get calls because he refuses to take the ball strong to the hoop. Its probably a combo of he needs more strength and hes just afraid of contact ... but one way or the other, this is whats holding him back .. not the refs

Vince, for example, never had trouble getting calls from day one, because when he took it to the hole, he went agressivce and tried to dunk the shit out of the ball. DD on the flip slide, tries to slither around people in the air and allows himself to get blocked .. thus no calls from the refs

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
                          DD doesnt get calls because he refuses to take the ball strong to the hoop. Its probably a combo of he needs more strength and hes just afraid of contact ... but one way or the other, this is whats holding him back .. not the refs

Vince, for example, never had trouble getting calls from day one, because when he took it to the hole, he went agressivce and tried to dunk the shit out of the ball. DD on the flip slide, tries to slither around people in the air and allows himself to get blocked .. thus no calls from the refs
                          This is how I would describe it as well. DeMar does go to the hoop, but he does not invite contact. There is a saying that the offensive player should "foul" the defence...initiate the contact.
                          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Part II from yesterday's discussion...

it's holding DeMar accountable at both ends, at the offensive end and the defensive end. It's physical play for DeMar that's going to take him to another level and that goes for both ends.
                            DeMar is definitely showing growth but I'm not satisfied with where he's at and I know he's not and for him to take another step will ultimately help our team take another step.
                            I think DeMar is 2-man in the league but DeMar can play some 3 and again the thing you've got to look at is on the defensive end. Guarding 2's and guarding 3's are two completely different things. Offensively playing the 3 might not be that big of a difference but guarding 2's vs. 3's is a huge deal.
                            it's a big jump to go from playing in Europe to playing in the NBA. I'm sure there will be a learning curve for [Jonas] too but the one thing I do know about him is that he's got the physical ability right now to make the transition, he's got the mentality, he wants to learn and he wants to get better.
                            The biggest thing we're trying to do with Amir is extend his range. I don't think people think of Amir as a three-point shooter, and not that we're going to run plays for him to get three-point shots, but we're trying to extend his range a little bit and make him a little more of a driver too so he can take advantage of his quickness and athleticism down on the block rather than have him shoot jump hooks.
                            http://www.raptorshq.com/2012/8/17/3...zan-kyle-lowry

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post

Absolutely.

If he attacked the rim with the same aggressiveness as an open lane......

Comment

Working...
                              X