Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Triano to Portland and National team HC?

Raptors Republic Rookie 10 000 Hours's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

All the best to Triano, but I'm not sold on him being the head coach for team Canada. I agree with others that the best possible coach available should be targeted. Stan Van Gundy anyone?

...of course that would never happen, but I wonder what it would take? Does anyone know what kind of salary is usually offered to the national team's head coach? I assume that USA basketball gives out big pay days, but what about us?
    Walking like I'm already there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Tulsa just smashed Seneca College tonight: http://www.tulsahurricane.com/sports...081712aac.html

So, yeah they do. But finding out about these games is mad hard... CCAA need to get their PR game up.
    Take a look at the video in that link, there is no one in the stands....what a shame.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm...no one has brought up anything Raps related with Jay's leaving. Good luck to him and all, but it does technically leave an opening for VP of pro scouting, or some other title they could give to someone they add to the front office. In terms of who could get the job, I don't really know or care because it clearly wouldn't be someone known, but would you guys like them to hire someone? I'd hope they do, and hope the person turns out to be good at their job, because if they are in charge of pro scouting, they could have a fairly large voice in trade scenarios.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a new little article http://www.thestar.com/printarticle/1245531 that talks about who Jay will have on staff with the National team, and a bit about the direction the organization is looking at going.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting read. Wonder who's on their target list.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Interesting read. Wonder who's on their target list.
    Pure speculation at this point, but some of these guys are locks to be invited to the training camp

Cory Joseph
    Tristain Thompson
    Andrew Nicholson
    Chris Joseph
    Andy Rautins
    Kevin Pangos
    Kelly Olynyk
    Andrew Wiggins
    Khem Birch
    Anthony Bennet
    Robert Sacre
    Nick Stauskas
    Trey Lyles
    Myck Kabongo

And many more guys should get an invite. They are looking at 20 or so, but I could come up with more than that as there are many guys I have left of the list.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    ...And many more guys should get an invite. They are looking at 20 or so, but I could come up with more than that as there are many guys I have left of the list.
    World's are 2 years away and Olympics are 4...I wouldn't think they would want anyone younger than 20 on the Olympic team. So anyone who is 16 or older now, showing lots of potential, would be prime targets I expect. One thing the Europeans have shown is the benefit of playing together for years. Spain coming within 8 points of a gold medal is testimony to that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    World's are 2 years away and Olympics are 4...I wouldn't think they would want anyone younger than 20 on the Olympic team. So anyone who is 16 or older now, showing lots of potential, would be prime targets I expect. One thing the Europeans have shown is the benefit of playing together for years. Spain coming within 8 points of a gold medal is testimony to that.

That, and the fact that their team is loaded with talent, NBA allstars, all Euro League players, while our talent is getting better, we are still not at the level of any of the elite teams. I think we can get there in 2020, but the 2014 Worlds and teh 2016 Olympics (if we make either) will be a key period of growth in the program.

Post Thanks / Like

[/B]

That, and the fact that their team is loaded with talent, NBA allstars, all Euro League players....
    I didn't do a team by team comparison, but maybe someone knows the answer off-hand. How does Spain's personnel compare to other Olympic teams?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    I didn't do a team by team comparison, but maybe someone knows the answer off-hand. How does Spain's personnel compare to other Olympic teams?
    Just to put it in perspective, 4 of their 5 bigs on the team are NBA players, the other plays for Real Madrid, one of teh best clubs outside the NBA.

Their wings and guards have loads of NBA games under their belt as well, JC Navaro, Calderon, and Fernadez have all had successes in the NBA, while two are now back in Europe it does not diminish their abilities. Put a young Ricky Rubio back in the mix and 10 of 12 players have solid current or recent NBA experience. France also has quite a bit of NBA players on the roster, but after that most teams are pretty spotty.

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Pure speculation at this point, but some of these guys are locks to be invited to the training camp

Cory Joseph
    Tristain Thompson
    Andrew Nicholson
    Chris Joseph
    Andy Rautins
    Kevin Pangos
    Kelly Olynyk
    Andrew Wiggins
    Khem Birch
    Anthony Bennet
    Robert Sacre
    Nick Stauskas
    Trey Lyles
    Myck Kabongo

And many more guys should get an invite. They are looking at 20 or so, but I could come up with more than that as there are many guys I have left of the list.
    And Joel Anthony?
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Employee wrote: View Post
    And Joel Anthony?
    Like I said, the list was not complete by any means, Joel just turned 30 this month, he would be a solid veteran presence for the team.

Many more guys like Kyle Wiltjer, Dwight Powell, Olu Ashalou, Melvin Ejim, Junior Cadougan should be on the radar as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the list of invites:

http://www.basketball.ca/canada-bask...letes--p151673

Rautins didn't make it! haha
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Post Thanks / Like

Six players in the NBA. Things are improving.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Employee wrote: View Post
    Here's the list of invites:

http://www.basketball.ca/canada-bask...letes--p151673

Rautins didn't make it! haha
    Neither did Wiggins or Joel Anthony...I am sure there are a few guys who are just not available so they are not on the list.

Post Thanks / Like

Neither did Wiggins or Joel Anthony...I am sure there are a few guys who are just not available so they are not on the list.
    Anthony did, but you're right about Wiggins. I find it amusing that Dalembert was also excluded. I wonder if Magloire might venture into the coaching realm in the future...

Post Thanks / Like

Joel is on the list.

I was gonna say Wiggins is too young but there is one other HS player on the list. Although he might be playing one more year right, so maybe he is too young?

Also not sure how these work, but it's an invitational right? Doesn't mean they're necessarily going to show up. They're just hoping they will. I don't know what the story with Rautins is. Dude is injured all the time.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Anthony did, but you're right about Wiggins. I find it amusing that Dalembert was also excluded. I wonder if Magloire might venture into the coaching realm in the future...
    Who knows what the story is on Dalembert. If my memory serves correct I think he's had clashes with coaches besides Leo. Maybe not the best team player.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure the CIA Bounce guys already had tournament commitments, which probably explains some of the CIS guys nobody's heard of being on the list. Wiggins, Ennis and Rathan Mayes will no doubt be involved down the road, especially considering their long track records of representing the country.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Brasky wrote: View Post
    Pretty sure the CIA Bounce guys already had tournament commitments, which probably explains some of the CIS guys nobody's heard of being on the list. Wiggins, Ennis and Rathan Mayes will no doubt be involved down the road, especially considering their long track records of representing the country.
    Maybe you have not heard of the CIS guys invited, but I sure have and they all are top level NCAA D-1 talent.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information