Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Triano to Portland and National team HC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triano to Portland and National team HC?

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Morsel from coaching grapevine: Hearing Jay Triano will wind up on Terry Stotts' bench in Portland after ex-Raps HC was also chased by Mavs
    Ryan Wolstat ‏@WolstatSun

Despite his move to Portland, word is Canada Basketball will name Jay Triano head coach of the senior men's team next Thursday afternoon.
    Good luck, Jay.

Jay knows his stuff, good for him.

As for the National team gig, I am not sure how I feel about that. I thought Leo did the best with what he had at the time, he also set a good tone that everyone was equal. I know Jay will do a good job, but I would have liked to maybe see someone new take it on.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I would've liked to see some new blood, but now with Nash involved, Nash may be able to get the team to drink the Jay koolaid and the program will propel forward... As long as they keep Dalambert the f away from the team, I'll be happy.

Comment

Quite surprised to hear the Portland news. I would've thought Triano would've been a Raptor for life (simply because nobody else would hire him, lol).

Comment

OTFP wrote: View Post
          ... As long as they keep Dalambert the f away from the team, I'll be happy.
          It was never clear to me what the big deal was. Dalambert wanted special treatment? Was that it?

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
            It was never clear to me what the big deal was. Dalambert wanted special treatment? Was that it?
            Sam put himself before the team, he wanted to have his "people" with him and upgrade accommodations. His attitude was "I am the man" on this team and that did not fly with the coach and many of the players.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              Quite surprised to hear the Portland news. I would've thought Triano would've been a Raptor for life (simply because nobody else would hire him, lol).
              He many not have worked out well as a head coach, but he's an extremely gifted assistant. He's even been an assistant coach with the US national team. You can bet he'll always be in demand.

Comment

was really hoping he wouldn't be team canada coach
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I don't understand why the Canadian head coach needs to be Canadian. Not a big fan of Triano coaching Canada.

Comment

I thought Rowan Barrett is running the show at Basketball Canada. I'm not sure how involved Nash is at this point with the Lakers, family, and soccer interests loading up his plate.
                    Last edited by stretch; Fri Aug 17, 2012, 11:29 AM.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                      I thought Rowan Barrett is running the show at Canada Basketball. I'm not sure how involved Nash is at this point with the Lakers, family, and soccer interests loading up his plate.
                      Rowan's job is to concentrate of the youth, not so much involved with the senior group.
                      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                        I don't understand why the Canadian head coach needs to be Canadian. Not a big fan of Triano coaching Canada.
                        Exactly...as far as Canadian coaches go, there isn't many to choose from other Triano or Leo Rautins. We need someone different to kickstart a new program. Just take the women's soccer team for example. All they needed was a new coach and they soared to new heights
                        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Portland is a good spot for him. They're reshaping that team and he has lots of experiences with young rebuilding clubs.

Comment

Portland fits Triano quite nicely. Young, athletic. He developed our players quite well during our first tanking season, and the offense was exciting, not to mention good, clean, flowing offense.

Triano I never thought would be a great head coach, but, can't deny he can get a team to score buckets, and put confidence and good development in the younger players.

Assistant Coaching in Portland looks good.
                            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I'm very shocked that there are people out there that are against Triano becoming the National HC again. The guy did a great job with them last time he was in control. Not to mention, from what I've heard, Leo was awful and hardly even ran the practices while he was the coach.

My guess is all he did was crack jokes about "what's in your wallet?", tell people they're stupid for jumping to try and block perimeter shots, and make stupid observations all game with Matt Devlin.

Comment

Working...
                              X