Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Triano to Portland and National team HC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    Exactly...as far as Canadian coaches go, there isn't many to choose from other Triano or Leo Rautins. We need someone different to kickstart a new program. Just take the women's soccer team for example. All they needed was a new coach and they soared to new heights
    I would add Smart to that list (before he took over Great Britain's Under 18 team, but your right the list is short. Meanwhile the list of NCAA coaches who have knowledge of the Canadian game is growing. Probably should have gone in that direction.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
      I would add Smart to that list (before he took over Great Britain's Under 18 team, but your right the list is short. Meanwhile the list of NCAA coaches who have knowledge of the Canadian game is growing. Probably should have gone in that direction.
      A good NCAA coach does not automatically make you a good International coach, the FIBA game is way different. We have some excellent old and young coaches hear in Canada, the trouble getting them to commit to the program is money. Jay has/will make good money in the NBA, where as our top guys in the CIS (Dave Smart Excluded $160,174 in 2011) don't make a tonne. They need to run camps and do other things to bring money into their programs.
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
        A good NCAA coach does not automatically make you a good International coach, the FIBA game is way different. We have some excellent old and young coaches hear in Canada, the trouble getting them to commit to the program is money. Jay has/will make good money in the NBA, where as our top guys in the CIS (Dave Smart Excluded $160,174 in 2011) don't make a tonne. They need to run camps and do other things to bring money into their programs.
        Good points, can't disagree with what you're saying...

I would argue that the current trend is using upper tier NCAA coaches. Mind you, most of those countries don't have leagues at the level of CIS and CCAA (Both leagues hold teams that now regularly beat NCAA teams). So I see your point.

Also, I think your last point is exactly why the list of Canada based coaches are limited. If coaches are forced to bring money into programs what time will they have to work on the national program? Also, if you look at the coaches already involved at the younger age groups a lot of the top talent is already part of the system. Yes, you could shuffle people, but I'd argue that that is more difficult than it sounds.

Comment

Good points, can't disagree with what you're saying...

I would argue that the current trend is using upper tier NCAA coaches. Mind you, most of those countries don't have leagues at the level of CIS and CCAA (Both leagues hold teams that now regularly beat NCAA teams). So I see your point.

Also, I think your last point is exactly why the list of Canada based coaches are limited. If coaches are forced to bring money into programs what time will they have to work on the national program? Also, if you look at the coaches already involved at the younger age groups a lot of the top talent is already part of the system. Yes, you could shuffle people, but I'd argue that that is more difficult than it sounds.
          While I know of many CIS schools that take games from NCAA D-1 teams, I can't think of a CCAA program that does that regularly (if at all).
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

While I know of many CIS schools that take games from NCAA D-1 teams, I can't think of a CCAA program that does that regularly (if at all).

Tulsa just smashed Seneca College tonight: http://www.tulsahurricane.com/sports...081712aac.html

So, yeah they do. But finding out about these games is mad hard... CCAA need to get their PR game up.

Comment

All the best to Triano, but I'm not sold on him being the head coach for team Canada. I agree with others that the best possible coach available should be targeted. Stan Van Gundy anyone?

...of course that would never happen, but I wonder what it would take? Does anyone know what kind of salary is usually offered to the national team's head coach? I assume that USA basketball gives out big pay days, but what about us?
              Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

Tulsa just smashed Seneca College tonight: http://www.tulsahurricane.com/sports...081712aac.html

So, yeah they do. But finding out about these games is mad hard... CCAA need to get their PR game up.
                Take a look at the video in that link, there is no one in the stands....what a shame.
                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Hmmm...no one has brought up anything Raps related with Jay's leaving. Good luck to him and all, but it does technically leave an opening for VP of pro scouting, or some other title they could give to someone they add to the front office. In terms of who could get the job, I don't really know or care because it clearly wouldn't be someone known, but would you guys like them to hire someone? I'd hope they do, and hope the person turns out to be good at their job, because if they are in charge of pro scouting, they could have a fairly large voice in trade scenarios.

Comment

Here is a new little article http://www.thestar.com/printarticle/1245531 that talks about who Jay will have on staff with the National team, and a bit about the direction the organization is looking at going.
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Interesting read. Wonder who's on their target list.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        Interesting read. Wonder who's on their target list.
                        Pure speculation at this point, but some of these guys are locks to be invited to the training camp

Cory Joseph
                        Tristain Thompson
                        Andrew Nicholson
                        Chris Joseph
                        Andy Rautins
                        Kevin Pangos
                        Kelly Olynyk
                        Andrew Wiggins
                        Khem Birch
                        Anthony Bennet
                        Robert Sacre
                        Nick Stauskas
                        Trey Lyles
                        Myck Kabongo

And many more guys should get an invite. They are looking at 20 or so, but I could come up with more than that as there are many guys I have left of the list.
                        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

...And many more guys should get an invite. They are looking at 20 or so, but I could come up with more than that as there are many guys I have left of the list.
                          World's are 2 years away and Olympics are 4...I wouldn't think they would want anyone younger than 20 on the Olympic team. So anyone who is 16 or older now, showing lots of potential, would be prime targets I expect. One thing the Europeans have shown is the benefit of playing together for years. Spain coming within 8 points of a gold medal is testimony to that.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                            World's are 2 years away and Olympics are 4...I wouldn't think they would want anyone younger than 20 on the Olympic team. So anyone who is 16 or older now, showing lots of potential, would be prime targets I expect. One thing the Europeans have shown is the benefit of playing together for years. Spain coming within 8 points of a gold medal is testimony to that.

That, and the fact that their team is loaded with talent, NBA allstars, all Euro League players, while our talent is getting better, we are still not at the level of any of the elite teams. I think we can get there in 2020, but the 2014 Worlds and teh 2016 Olympics (if we make either) will be a key period of growth in the program.
                            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

[/B]

That, and the fact that their team is loaded with talent, NBA allstars, all Euro League players....
                              I didn't do a team by team comparison, but maybe someone knows the answer off-hand. How does Spain's personnel compare to other Olympic teams?

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                                I didn't do a team by team comparison, but maybe someone knows the answer off-hand. How does Spain's personnel compare to other Olympic teams?
                                Just to put it in perspective, 4 of their 5 bigs on the team are NBA players, the other plays for Real Madrid, one of teh best clubs outside the NBA.

Their wings and guards have loads of NBA games under their belt as well, JC Navaro, Calderon, and Fernadez have all had successes in the NBA, while two are now back in Europe it does not diminish their abilities. Put a young Ricky Rubio back in the mix and 10 of 12 players have solid current or recent NBA experience. France also has quite a bit of NBA players on the roster, but after that most teams are pretty spotty.
                                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Working...
                                X