Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Article about Bargnani's defense...and no, it's not all bad.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article about Bargnani's defense...and no, it's not all bad.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...ensive-mirror/
    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Modern NBA defensive criticism is interesting because it specifically targets centers with fault for failing to cover for the mistakes of their teammates. It sounds counter-intuitive, doesn’t it? Why is it Andrea Barganani’s fault that Jose Calderon can’t contain perimeter penetration? Why should Bargnani have to clean up the mess for DeMar DeRozan?
    It's because of the modern NBA rules (i.e. lax hand-checking). No perimeter player is capable of guarding another 1-on-1.

If you're 7-feet tall, you're expected to rotate. That's just the way the game is designed nowadays.

Comment

Good read and pretty accurate, I think at one time or another we have discussed the fact that Andrea is a solid post defender, and, like the article states, his help defence is where the problem is.
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

i am patiently waiting for the Andale McNani photoshops to start

Comment

This article just makes me want the season to start more - because JV is the perfect compliment to bargnani (a great help defender)

Comment

Good article, but poor Bargnani.

Now that they have good perimeter defenders in Lowry and Fields, will the expectations on Bargnani being a "better defender" because he now only has to guard less penetration and well, his own man, be a lot higher?? I think so.

Or we he relapse and think he may not need to put too much effort on defense since the team now has better wing defenders?

The saga continues.

Comment

With Casey as the coach Bargnani will be a decent defender and now that we have better wing defenders and a legit C our team defensive rating should be above league average. Bargnani is an athletic 7 footer - he can guard 4's one on one with his height and lateral quicks

Comment

Bargnani is athletic?
                Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                  Good article, but poor Bargnani.

Now that they have good perimeter defenders in Lowry and Fields, will the expectations on Bargnani being a "better defender" because he now only has to guard less penetration and well, his own man, be a lot higher?? I think so.

Or we he relapse and think he may not need to put too much effort on defense since the team now has better wing defenders?

The saga continues.
                  From my recollection of last year, he was the best pick and roll defender on the team. I have no stats to back that up, just my memory and comments from Casey saying similar if not the same.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    From my recollection of last year, he was the best pick and roll defender on the team. I have no stats to back that up, just my memory and comments from Casey saying similar if not the same.
                    I do remember Casey saying that, I believe he might have mentioned it during the mid-season interviews with Matt Devlin.

Anyways, I would agree. Not so much his skill on the defensive end was the reason for good P&R defense, but mostly because he knew how to defend it.
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

very accurate...i don't think he will ever do it, but he could be a great stopper if he clogged the lane and helped from the weak side. Maybe a summer with Casey will flick a switch, at least we can hope

Comment

No surprise here, last year all anyone was talking about was how much better Bargs was defending before his injury. What I'm excited about it that Bargs is probably not going to be relied on as much to provide the last line of help. We have Jonas for that.
                        "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                          Bargnani is athletic?
                          He isn't JaVale McGee athletic, but he isn't Aaron Gray either. He moves pretty well for a 7 ft player but he's not too "springy".
                          Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Yeah, it's stretch to say Bargnani is an elite athlete, but to say he isn't athletic is a stretch as well. It's hard to have good hand-eye coordination and explosiveness when 7 feet or over (or so I hear, but a quick youtube search confirms any suspicions), but I'd say for his size Andrea is a pretty good athlete. He's much better than the average 7 footer at rolling to the rim and driving the lane.

Comment

IROR wrote: View Post
                              very accurate...i don't think he will ever do it, but he could be a great stopper if he clogged the lane and helped from the weak side. Maybe a summer with Casey will flick a switch, at least we can hope
                              I do think Casey will be a tremendous help to him come training camp.

But i still believe that he'd get the most out of somebody who's actually played a position that he's currently in.
                              Hakeem? Jabbar? Casey can only tell him the x and o's, but an actually big man who was a great defender in the NBA can re-live the experience with him.

Comment

Working...
                              X