CBS Raps offseason report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBS Raps offseason report

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/19820572/nba-offseason-report-toronto-raptors
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

I read that this morning, before the spelling errors were corrected, I like the author but I don't know how he got Fields contract wrong.

Overall a good article.
    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

I'm open to the concept I am a naive and biased homer but this ongoing battering of the Fields contract puzzles me. Realistically, LF is the only questionable contract on the roster (Jose is expiring and has left the burdensome category, in my opinion). Nevermind the fact people continue to report it is 3 years (I'll ignore 4 years in this article) and $20M - it was $18.7M. He is well worth his contract if you go by WS and the stuff at theNBAGeek.com - but there is no doubt he is overpaid! However, the overpayment is not Eddy Curry/Tyrus Thomas/DeSagana Diop category and he is still a very useful player.

Other than the Fields bit (which again I admit to being a naive and biased homer) the article is pretty good.

Comment

Yeah looking at the current market they overpaid what maybe a Mill/Mill point 5 a year for LF? The list of SFs on the market is tiny. More importantly the Raps had a need (SF) filled that need, and then crippled a team in their own division. The Knicks are now an old team. Who's going to bring up the ball for them? Can you say any of those names with a straight face? Also, who's going to guard the opponents best wing? I don't think people appreciate what Fields meant to the Knicks. He's not all world bit there is value for the little things he brings, and if he finds his shot again this is a steal.

Comment

By the way, here's the podcast to go with it: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ey...roller-coaster
          TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
            Also, who's going to guard the opponents best wing? I don't think people appreciate what Fields meant to the Knicks. He's not all world bit there is value for the little things he brings, and if he finds his shot again this is a steal.
            New York has Iman Shumpert. Although I doubt he comes back to form after his AC/MCL injury, he is a very good defender.

I do agree though that Fields was a great glue guy for the Knicks team. Hardly made mistakes, rarely takes bad shots, and if shots weren't falling, he was very capable of doing other things like rebounding, and playing defense.

Fields may not be our leading scorer, neither will he be our premier defender like a Sefolosha or LeBron, but he is a guy who CAN score, who CAN defend, and CAN rebound. I loved the signing, and being a restricted free agent, overpaying happens.

People to continue to discuss that it's a bad thing, BC would not offer that contract if he DIDN'T want Fields. The argument is that, he was used as a trading block so NY could not receive Nash, so BC signed him to an offer sheet that Fields would not refuse. BC is not stupid either, he knew there would be risks, and if he did this sorely on that, he did not think this through that there is a chance NY would not match.

BC IMO obviously knew, if Fields would sign an offer sheet, he has a 50% chance of coming to Toronto. That's whether NY matches or not. Signing Fields to an offer sheet would bring 3 positives in my opinion.

1. Fields AND Nash both come to Toronto.
            2. Fields comes to Toronto.
            3. NY matches and the cap space could be used elsewhere.

IMO there wasn't a bad move in the situation with Nash and Fields.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

ZZ posted the article. Here is the accompanying Podcast:

In this edition of the CBSSports.com NBA Podcast, Matt Moore talks with Eric Koreen of the National Post about how much the Raptors really do like Landry Fields, and Ryan Wolstat of the Toronto Sun talks the future of Jonas Valanciunas. Doug Smith of the Toronto Star joins us to discuss what the overall plan of the organization is and how Kyle Lowry became a Raptor, and Sam Holako of Raptors Republic on how fans have managed this up-and-down offseason for Toronto.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ey...roller-coaster

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                I'm open to the concept I am a naive and biased homer but this ongoing battering of the Fields contract puzzles me. Realistically, LF is the only questionable contract on the roster (Jose is expiring and has left the burdensome category, in my opinion). Nevermind the fact people continue to report it is 3 years (I'll ignore 4 years in this article) and $20M - it was $18.7M. He is well worth his contract if you go by WS and the stuff at theNBAGeek.com - but there is no doubt he is overpaid! However, the overpayment is not Eddy Curry/Tyrus Thomas/DeSagana Diop category and he is still a very useful player.

Other than the Fields bit (which again I admit to being a naive and biased homer) the article is pretty good.
                I agree with you. I don't really see him as overpaid, to be honest. I think he can be an above average player, and he's got a slightly above average contract, so I don't see the problem. You always pay above market value if you actually hope to secure an RFA.

Comment

Working...
                X