Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better comparisons for Acy than Reggie Evens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better comparisons for Acy than Reggie Evens?

Now by better I don't mean a better player, but someone who better represents the type of player and the abilities that Acy possesses. Other than the fact that they both have big ugly beards, I think Acy and Evens play completely different, yet all the comparisons are Acy is an Evans clone....come on we can do better.

Evans is a much beefier player and plays well below the rim, Acy is springy and can run the floor.
    Evans has no offensive touch, Acy has shown signs of being able to constantly hit a a 15 footer.

So I ask the Republic, who is a better comparison?

Tyrus Thomas
    Brandon Bass with out the shoulders
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

WJF wrote: View Post
    Now by better I don't mean a better player, but someone who better represents the type of player and the abilities that Acy possesses. Other than the fact that they both have big ugly beards, I think Acy and Evens play completely different, yet all the comparisons are Acy is an Evans clone....come on we can do better.

Evans is a much beefier player and plays well below the rim, Acy is springy and can run the floor.
    Evans has no offensive touch, Acy has shown signs of being able to constantly hit a a 15 footer.

Tyrus Thomas
    I still like the Evans comparison - but it is not a perfect fit.

Acy is not the rebounder Evans is/was but any loss is more than made up for in offensive skills. They seem to have a lot of the same intangibles when it comes to energy and leadership.

Comment

Tyrus Thomas
      You need to think of a little guy (height wise) who is strong and has good springs, but an overall limited offensive game. I dont think Thomas or Bass work because those guys are tall (and long and skinny in the case of Thomas). I would go with Jason Maxiell or maybe even parts of Clarence Whetherspoon or Renaldo Balkman.

Athletically and body-wise, hes sort of like a young Barkley (although with absolutely none of the skill that Chuck had) ..

All in all, if I had to chose one, its Maxiell for me.

Comment

Anyone remember Clarence Weatherspoon?

Comment

Shawn Kemp.

Dudes a Showman like Kemp too:
          Last edited by Joey; Sun Aug 19, 2012, 06:28 PM.

Comment

I remember someone on this site comparing his measurements to Faried
            TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
              I remember someone on this site comparing his measurements to Faried
              Ya that was me. And he actually measured out better than Faried in Vert as well.

Which led me to Shawn Kemp.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                He had some nice years in Philly.
                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Seeing as Bass measures at 6'6.25 without shoes and Tyrus Thomas is 6'7.25, I am pretty sure I did a good job finding guys is his size rage.
                  Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Seeing as Bass measures at 6'6.25 without shoes and Tyrus Thomas is 6'7.25, I am pretty sure I did a good job finding guys is his size rage.
                    I get 6'10" on NBA.com and something between 6'9-6'10" in different other sources for Thomas. You are right .. Bass listed at 6'8", so a little smaller. (most sites have Acy at 6'7"ish)

In any event, my critique of Thomas certainly is that hes a long, lanky skinny guy, whereas Acy is a compact, strong shorter guy. I see the Thomas part in terms of playing above the rim and having a limited offensive game outside of dunking .. otherwise I struggle.

As for Bass, I think hes closer .. but less explosive .. a little more crafty around the rim, getting position for rebounds, a litte less athletic. Also a more refined offensive game.

Also .. no need to get defensive .. you started a thread asking for some comparisions .. and I gave my opinion as to some that I thought work better than those you threw out .. isnt that how this is supposed to worl?

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
                      I get 6'10" on NBA.com and something between 6'9-6'10" in different other sources for Thomas. You are right .. Bass listed at 6'8", so a little smaller. (most sites have Acy at 6'7"ish)

In any event, my critique of Thomas certainly is that hes a long, lanky skinny guy, whereas Acy is a compact, strong shorter guy. I see the Thomas part in terms of playing above the rim and having a limited offensive game outside of dunking .. otherwise I struggle.

As for Bass, I think hes closer .. but less explosive .. a little more crafty around the rim, getting position for rebounds, a litte less athletic. Also a more refined offensive game.

Also .. no need to get defensive .. you started a thread asking for some comparisions .. and I gave my opinion as to some that I thought work better than those you threw out .. isnt that how this is supposed to worl?
                      I am going by actual combine measurements, granted, Thomas was drafted young and may have grown....not getting defensive, just stating facts as I have them.

Not sure why you took it the wrong way
                      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                        That is a throw back.

I remember his dunk competition performance.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          That is a throw back.

I remember his dunk competition performance.

Nice find Matt. Baby Jordan, Kenny the Jet, Ced Ceballos. I also remember Chris Jackson (Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf) being in it, the guy had never had a dunk in the NBA when he did the contest.
                          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Tyrus Thomas
                            Pops Mensah-Bonsu maybe? If anyone still remembers him. Both Pops and Acy are athletic energy players

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X