Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Kyle Lowry's impact being under-estimated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craiger wrote: View Post
    Didn't we hear the exact same thing about both Jack and Bayless though? And I'd point out that the teams defense still improved significantly with Jose running the point for most of the year.

Not saying Lowry won't be an improvement or be a help but I think way too much emphasis is placed on Jose defense as the center of this teams historic defensive problems. The reality of the NBA is PGs have alot of difficulty defending other PGs.
    The biggest problem last year is that all our point-of-attack / perimeter defense stunk last year, whether the opposition was penetrating through Calderon, DeRozan or whoever was starting at SF. From the initial dribble-drive, our defense was in a constant state of rotate/recover mode. The face that DC was able to improve the team's overall defense, in spite of horrendous point-of-attack man-defense, speaks volumes about him being able to implement an effective team system and get his players to put for maximum effort. With the significant individual defensive upgrades that Lowry and Fields represent, I think this team will take an even bigger step forward defensively next season, since it all starts with guarding the man with the ball.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      The biggest problem last year is that all our point-of-attack / perimeter defense stunk last year, whether the opposition was penetrating through Calderon, DeRozan or whoever was starting at SF. From the initial dribble-drive, our defense was in a constant state of rotate/recover mode. The face that DC was able to improve the team's overall defense, in spite of horrendous point-of-attack man-defense, speaks volumes about him being able to implement an effective team system and get his players to put for maximum effort. With the significant individual defensive upgrades that Lowry and Fields represent, I think this team will take an even bigger step forward defensively next season, since it all starts with guarding the man with the ball.
      +1 Jose and Demar can't guard their own man consistently, especially Jose. James Johnson is nothing but a stat defender. Hits the passing lanes and blocks shots, not saying it's a bad thing, but doesn't tell the entire story. Jack was barely a better defender than Jose, and Bayless couldn't defend without keeping his hands out of the opposition's pockets.

Fields is not a defensive stopper, but nonetheless a very good on-ball defender, and is a very smart player. Kyle Lowry is in the same mold, not necessarily going to stop his man, but it will be hard to get by.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I have stayed out of this thread because I am not sure what I think of Lowry. While I admit he is a good player and brings something to this team we have been lacking, I just don't know what I think about his fit within the flow of the game.

His assist number have never been great and he turned the ball over quite a bit last year. While he shot the 3 at a good clip the last two seasons, his overall field goal percentage has not been great. Are we getting a point guard that is any better than a Jameer Nelson or Ty Lawson, can those guys get you to the next level?

I am not disappointed with this pick-up, I am just not sure if he is the PG of the future we are all looking for, rather a very good stop-gap till we truly fill that spot.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
          I have stayed out of this thread because I am not sure what I think of Lowry. While I admit he is a good player and brings something to this team we have been lacking, I just don't know what I think about his fit within the flow of the game.

His assist number have never been great and he turned the ball over quite a bit last year. While he shot the 3 at a good clip the last two seasons, his overall field goal percentage has not been great. Are we getting a point guard that is any better than a Jameer Nelson or Ty Lawson, can those guys get you to the next level?

I am not disappointed with this pick-up, I am just not sure if he is the PG of the future we are all looking for, rather a very good stop-gap till we truly fill that spot.
          Good god I hope not. I thought Jose was the stop gap! lol

I'm hoping for similar numbers to what he put up (better fg% though) and solid D. The other consideration is the lack of options he had in Houston in his big men especially in the pick and roll. Scola is a great offensive player but pick and roll is not his strength in my limited opinion and Dalembert is useless.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Good god I hope not. I thought Jose was the stop gap! lol

I'm hoping for similar numbers to what he put up (better fg% though) and solid D. The other consideration is the lack of options he had in Houston in his big men especially in the pick and roll. Scola is a great offensive player but pick and roll is not his strength in my limited opinion and Dalembert is useless.
            He is only signed for this year and next, so there is no guarantee he is here after the 2013/14 season. What happens after that is anyone's guess. To me his style and body does not lend itself to longevity, so at 28 when it is time to re-sign, what type of deal do you give a guy like that, has he been able to evolve his game so that he can be effective into his 30's?

I really hope he comes in and helps the team generate some excitement and win some ball games. I by no means am hoping for him not to work out, I want him to get rid of my doubts.

On a future PG that I would like to see in the organization....Aaron Craft, he just seems like that grimy player that makes your team better, maybe he is not a starter, but he could be a great bench guard for 10-12 years in the NBA.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
              He is only signed for this year and next, so there is no guarantee he is here after the 2013/14 season. What happens after that is anyone's guess. To me his style and body does not lend itself to longevity, so at 28 when it is time to re-sign, what type of deal do you give a guy like that, has he been able to evolve his game so that he can be effective into his 30's?

I really hope he comes in and helps the team generate some excitement and win some ball games. I by no means am hoping for him not to work out, I want him to get rid of my doubts.

On a future PG that I would like to see in the organization....Aaron Craft, he just seems like that grimy player that makes your team better, maybe he is not a starter, but he could be a great bench guard for 10-12 years in the NBA.
              Stop it! Stop it!

Ugh.

The knife through my heart.

Please, please, please. The agony.

*Jokes*

Seriously though if the Raptors are in a position to be a winning team combined with the fact they have the most money to offer (5th year and larger pay raises - 7.5 vs 4.5%) then I'm not worried about that.

With his body hopefully having a trainer like McKechnie solves those problems/worries.

But I do agree with your post. There are many unknowns. I can't wait for the season to get started.

Comment

To be clear, I want Lowry to succeed!
                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Just thought this was interesting. Looks like Kyle really makes player pay for going under screens and if they don't he has a head of steam at the opposing big. I wonder if Casey will take any of these sets? If I remember correctly we kind run a lot of similar sets.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Not a lot of Lowry in this vid. but a great find. Lowry really is very good PnR player. He has range and good penetrating ability. On top of that he is good defender. I expect him to be very good this season.

Comment

I do think that if the raps are a LOCK for 8th seed or better it'll be because of Lowry. Based on what I've read from about off season transactions the rest of the world underestimates him. Or the questions his ability to stay healthy. Also just because a player has a few injuries doesn't mean they are injury prone. Everyone pretty much wrote off Grant Hill about a decade ago and the guy is still playing. I don't think it's a case of being injury prone as it is just plain luck. The fact that he's had previous injuries has very little impact on whether he will continue to get injured.
                      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                        +1 Jose and Demar can't guard their own man consistently, especially Jose. James Johnson is nothing but a stat defender. Hits the passing lanes and blocks shots, not saying it's a bad thing, but doesn't tell the entire story. Jack was barely a better defender than Jose, and Bayless couldn't defend without keeping his hands out of the opposition's pockets.

Fields is not a defensive stopper, but nonetheless a very good on-ball defender, and is a very smart player. Kyle Lowry is in the same mold, not necessarily going to stop his man, but it will be hard to get by.
                        Everybody piles on Jose's defense, but it seems like Demar gets somewhat close to free pass. I would love to see one of those stat guys like Liston or somebody to break down Demar's defensive impact on the team. I suspect that it is really, really bad.

Comment

DeMar's defense gets ripped pretty hard.

But I think the fact that Jose plays PG (i.e. the first line of defense) magnifies his defensive inabilities, compared to a wing player.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                            Everybody piles on Jose's defense, but it seems like Demar gets somewhat close to free pass. I would love to see one of those stat guys like Liston or somebody to break down Demar's defensive impact on the team. I suspect that it is really, really bad.
                            I think last year in the forums DeRozan's free pass wore out, given the improved team defense. For the first time, people were starting to call him out just as much as they call out Bargnani (help defense) and Calderon (point-of-attack defense).

This year is likely going to be even tougher for DeRozan to escape the critics. With Lowry providing significantly improved point-of-attack defense at the PG position, Fields providing more consistent perimeter defense, Valanciunas stepping in as a defensive anchor (ie: help defense and shot blocking/altering) and Bargnani's most glaring weaknesses (help defense) being mitigated by the additions of Lowry & Valanciunas (less penetration and more help defense), the spotlight should be shining much more prominantly on DeRozan, as he'll likely cover the opposition's secondary ball handler.

Comment

On Yahoo Fantasy Basketball's Big Board, Kyle Lowry ranks... 13th overall (Easy to forget that he was top-10 before battling the bacterial infection"). Ahead of him is:

Durant
                              James
                              Paul
                              Love
                              Wade
                              Jefferson
                              Westbrook
                              Aldridge
                              Howard
                              Williams
                              Millsap
                              Irving

I know fantasy basketball stars don't always correlate to winning teams; however, it is great to see what people were thinking back in May about this guy. He's going to be a stat stuffer.
                              “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
                              ― John Wooden

Comment

Will be great to see a Raptor player threaten for a triple double every once in a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X