Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Raptor that will most surprise you this season

Raptors Republic Rookie pillowmint's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Raptor that will most surprise you this season

I don't have photoshop at work, so I can't make a funny image right now ack!

Instead I was thinking about the Raptor who might surprise me the most this season.

I think going with JV is too easy IMO the kid is probably going to be good...(here's hoping)

I'm going with Ed Davis. He's not my favourite, in fact far from it. I know it's going to be a tough rotation for him to crack but I've got the feeling he could turn out to be more consistant that Amir. I'm not a huge fan of Amir either, it's his effort that kills me. For example there would be a couple of back to backs last year, and the first game Amir would look just great, then completely crap the bed the next night. I just found his game was peaks and valleys a little too much for me. Ed was young, didn't have a lot of PT or experience. Now I think that's changed a little and hopefully he can maintain his attention span, because there have been some flashes of a solid PF that I think he can be.

Now Who's your surprise player?
    i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Kleiza!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Kleiza!
    I want to believe! (but I can't)

Post Thanks / Like

Landry Fields
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Landry Fields
    agreed..... and im not sure why.... everything in my gut tells me he's going to be our glue guy

i hope he doesn't fall into my pool of "watch out for" players that fail miserably.... the juan dixons, and quincy doubys of the world..

Post Thanks / Like

Kleiza!
    Haha, Nothing Kleiza does will surprise you Matt!
    You've been expecting great things all along!
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Haha, Nothing Kleiza does will surprise you Matt!
    You've been expecting great things all along!
    On his off days, Kleiza is the bad guy all super heroes are gunning for. When they find him he just laughs at them all psycho like and they run away. Kleiza is awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    i hope he doesn't fall into my pool of "watch out for" players that fail miserably.... the juan dixons, and quincy doubys of the world..
    So true, ugh, I pray that doesn't happen. I remember being so excited for Juan Dixon...oh to be a homer is a tough life, but it is what it is!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    agreed..... and im not sure why.... everything in my gut tells me he's going to be our glue guy

Don't forget about Fred Jones who, of course, was used to acquire Dixon.

Post Thanks / Like

Terrence Ross

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am gonna go out on a limb here and say Ross.

A ton of people questioned the Ross pick, some saying he was not even lottery material, and it would be nice to see him have a solid year coming off the bench. He has a bit of a chip on his shoulder. I think he can be a solid defender, and I see his shooting transmitting to the NBA, and if that is the case, he will surprise a lot of people. While it is not very likely (seeing as young and slightly under sized players rarely have solid seasons in their rookie year), I can see it happen.

Davis would be another surprise player.

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget about Fred Jones who, of course, was used to acquire Dixon.
    That's actually who i was thinking of and had a brain fart, so i put juan dixon's name instead!

Thanks for filling one of the blank holes that years of alcoholism has created in my memory

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to say DeMar. This is more optimism than anything but he is in a contract year. Bargnani will probably get most of the attention from the opposing team on offense (if he can stay healthy), thus freeing up DeMar. I also think Lowry and Fields defensive capabilities might get contagious enough for DeMar to do other things than just try and score.

Post Thanks / Like

I think JL3 will surprise many with, not only how Little Playing time he actually gets; but how many shots he manages to take within that PT.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    I think JL3 will surprise many with, not only how Little Playing time he actually gets; but how many shots he manages to take within that PT.
    Bold prediction!
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to go with Ross. Davis was a close second, but it will be hard to surprise when he has to fight Amir & Gray for playing time at 2 backup positions.

I think Ross has been lost in the roster shuffle a little this offseason, being overshadowed by additions of Lowry, Fields and Valanciunas. Assuming DeRozan & Fields claim the starting wing spots, I think Ross could surprise by becoming the 6th man scorer off the bench, especially when playing with a great distributer (Calderon) and a bunch of bangers who will clog the paint (Gray, Amir, Davis and Kleiza). I think Ross will be asked to fulfill Barbosa's role from last season, both by penetrating and nailing open outside looks. I really hope he surprises, for 2 reasons: first, if he doesn't surprise he'll likely disappoint, which will cause all sorts of issues since he was drafted with the #8 pick; second, if he does suprise (and Fields returns to form), he could make DeRozan expendable, to be used as trade bait at the deadline (and to avoid his big payday in favor of a more proven player).

Valanciunas - I think we know what we'll get and what he'll become, after a steep learning curve and likely lots of foul trouble
    Fields - I think a return to the form of his rookie year, becoming a steady, low-flair player, similar to what Anthony Parker was
    Kleiza - I think he'll still be streaky, but hopefully being healthy will just increase his consistency

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think DeMar will surprise everyone this year. The pressure is on him now that Ross is there and pushing for playing time as well as at practice. Also having a younger and more relatable players around him like Lowry, Ross, Fields and Acy might bring some joy back to playing basketball. He just didn't seem very happy to me last season.

Also think the bench mob is going to turn some heads with Calderon quarterbacking them. LK should benefit from playing with someone whom knows how to play the game and Ed should benefit greatly from getting spoon fed under the rim as well. Ditto Amir.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    I think DeMar will surprise everyone this year. The pressure is on him now that Ross is there and pushing for playing time as well as at practice. Also having a younger and more relatable players around him like Lowry, Ross, Fields and Acy might bring some joy back to playing basketball. He just didn't seem very happy to me last season.

Also think the bench mob is going to turn some heads with Calderon quarterbacking them. LK should benefit from playing with someone whom knows how to play the game and Ed should benefit greatly from getting spoon fed under the rim as well. Ditto Amir.
    I agree, I'm really excited about our bench especially with Jose leading them now. That should be able to bring the best out of Ed, Amir, and Kleiza. And now we should expect to see twice as many lobs from Jose to Amir.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Valanciunas reminds me of the great rafael araujo.... So unill we play the chicago bulls thats how im gonna view him as...

I seen KLEIZA played the best game in a Raptors uniform when he first played Denver... Still wondering if he is a trick or treat.

QUINCY ACE is my pick.. However i wonder if a dog house awaits him or will his leash be let loose...

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

The funny thing about this question is that almost every member of the team would be considered a "sleeper" if they have an outstanding year. I'm going with Fields since a nephew from NY doesn't think he can live up to his promising rookie year.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information