Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The lingering question... Which PF goes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The lingering question... Which PF goes?

We all know about the logjam at PF... so who goes?

I personally think it's Amir...

Ed has more potential, Jonas is a better hustle big with size (at C), and Acy has Amir's energy and leadership...

And all three are BC's picks... not to mention Amir's contract.
    Ed Davis
    21.54%
    Amir Johnson
    60.00%
    Linas Kleiza
    6.15%
    Quincy Acy (D-League?)
    7.69%
    Andrea Bargnani
    4.62%
    Last edited by theycallmeZZ; Thu Aug 23, 2012, 11:12 AM.
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Had to vote Amir. I don't think Ed has reached his ceiling, especially after the way he was showcasing his improved offensive game in the summer league. He could probably be a double-double guy off the bench and is more valuable than Johnson at this point

Comment

I feel like Ed Davis' ceiling is only a little better than what Amir is right now. So I'd take Amir over Ed

Comment

Well at least this debate should be over by season's end. I personally think Amir will make good this year, but I don't foresee the team giving up on Ed Davis. If Amir plays well perhaps he becomes tradable.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I think this question will be answered by comparing what each player will net the Raptors in return. Unfortuantely, we have absolutely no idea. We'd have to know what each of them would bring back in trade on their own, or as part of a bigger multi-player deal. We're not BC, so we don't know. All we can do is assume.

As far as the players themselves, I was adamant in here last offseason that they were very similar players, who made each other redundant. I still believe that. Neither of them has the size to play C, unless they're going small-ball on the 2nd unit (with Kleiza at PF). Given their ages, the beating Amir has taken during his career (he's only 25 but has 7 years experience in the league), their current skill level and potential, as well as their salary, I'd much rather keep Davis and trade Amir.

However, all the reasons why I'd prefer to keep Davis, are all the very same reasons why any GM would likely prefer him in trade as well. As a trade chip, I would assume that Davis has way more value than Amir, straight-up. The only way I could see Amir being traded, is if his salary ($6M vs $2.2M) is needed to balance the total salaries in a big trade.

Who I'd prefer to be traded: Amir
          Who I expect to be traded: Davis --> why I voted for Davis
          Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Aug 23, 2012, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Will Quincy Acy be an above average backup-quality player? I would place a large wager on no.

Will Ed Davis learn to play within a defensive system and not be lost in rotation like he was all year last season? I hope so but it has yet to be shown he can. Will he eventually start? Maybe, but right now I would bet on no.

Will Amir Johnson ever be more than an above-average backup-quality player? Unlikely in my opinion but I don't think he needs to be anything than what he is currently to justify his contract. Amir does a lot of things relatively well and I am fine with the flexibility his skill sets provide.

Will Andrea Bargnani live up to his "franchise player" label? No, he's not a franchise player. He's primarily a very good offensive weapon that is next impossible to contain. I like him and I like his contract. Whether I believe we should have gotten a better player with the 1st pick is immaterial.

Will Lina Kleiza be a above average backup-quality player? I like his grit, his offensive game, I think he is on a reasonable contract. I am not sure his skill set can be replaced easily at the forward position or if coach Casey will prefer another skill set for his PF-SF if Ross develops quickly.

The one that goes other than Quincy Acy? Whoever BryCo can trade for someone more useful for the team. Quincy Acy has very little to no value until he shows he belongs in this league.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              This.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Really tough to pick one guy and go with it, I will try though.

I voted for Acy, and this is why. I think that if (when) we move Jose, Acy will be thrown in as a young prospect so that we get maybe an extra 2 round pick back, or another young player and a pick. While Acy does seem to have nice character, I don't feel he will ever be a top 8-9 rotation player in the NBA, but he will be valuable for 2-3 years till teams figure out he just does not have what it takes.
                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Gotta agree with Calgary, Hugs and ceez. Whoever will bring back the most in a trade. Having said that Kleiza brings something different to the table, as does Bargs. Amir and Ed are close enough that it doesn't make much difference to the Raps which one goes, so whichever of them can bring back the most.

Comment

This all depends on what we get back for the trade. I think it will come down to Ed vs Amir. Bargnani is safe unless we get a star player in return (or a different GM comes here).

I'd rather keep Amir and trade Ed. Amir has the intangibles that I like to see in a role player (plus he can play both the 4 and the 5). I have a feeling Ed is looking more than being a role player and will probably sour at the idea of playing less minutes in the future.. where as Amir appears to be happy just doing what he's doing. I'm going to say Ed because I think he has more value around the league due to his rookie contract.

Acy is going to play the Solomon Alabi role on this team. He won't get any minutes and will be used as a practice dummy and a cheerleader. He's too cheap to give away and not talented enough to get anything of value in return.

Kleiza has a very good contract, and even with Fields here we still need depth at the 3. Plus he'll be JV's translator and defacto best bud for the first year or two.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                      I think this question will be answered by comparing what each player will net the Raptors in return. Unfortuantely, we have absolutely no idea. We'd have to know what each of them would bring back in trade on their own, or as part of a bigger multi-player deal. We're not BC, so we don't know. All we can do is assume.

As far as the players themselves, I was adamant in here last offseason that they were very similar players, who made each other redundant. I still believe that. Neither of them has the size to play C, unless they're going small-ball on the 2nd unit (with Kleiza at PF). Given their ages, the beating Amir has taken during his career (he's only 25 but has 7 years experience in the league), their current skill level and potential, as well as their salary, I'd much rather keep Davis and trade Amir.

However, all the reasons why I'd prefer to keep Davis, are all the very same reasons why any GM would likely prefer him in trade as well. As a trade chip, I would assume that Davis has way more value than Amir, straight-up. The only way I could see Amir being traded, is if his salary ($6M vs $2.2M) is needed to balance the total salaries in a big trade.

Our tendency is to wish for the good, and give away the bad - a scenario that doesn't jive with any GM's wishes. As such, I voted Davis as well.

Comment

so the 5 votes for ED were people that think he's better but going to be traded? interesting because there were so many people saying amir is better during the year

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
                          so the 5 votes for ED were people that think he's better but going to be traded? interesting because there were so many people saying amir is better during the year
                          Actually just for the record, I think Amir is better, and I'd prefer him over Ed on Toronto. I picked Ed because other GM's may value him more than Amir since he's so much more affordable and still has potential.

Comment

Amir because we can something in return. Package him with Calderon and we get a good piece!
                            Twitter:@coachclement

The best way to predict your future is to create it - Peter Drucker

Comment

I voted Davis. I don't see the "potential" everyone keeps talking about. He just happens to be young.

Comment

Working...
                              X