Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 80

Thread: The Forgotten Raptor: Tomislav Zubcic

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    3,857
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default The Forgotten Raptor: Tomislav Zubcic

    With all the hype around are 3 rookies(JV, TR, and QA) we've forgotten one Tomislav Zubcic. Who I think has very good potential to be a real good role player.



    The Good
    2009 Nike Hoop Summit

    Throughout the week in practice, Tomislav Zubcic displayed extremely impressive tools for a player his size, but at the same time, seemed to struggle with both his role on the team and a lack of mental toughness. To our surprise, he overcame both issues Saturday night on his way to a very impressive showing in the game. The Croatian forward's strong performance certainly helped his draft stock, as he was a big key to the World Team's victory, particularly in the fourth quarter.

    With the skills of a small forward, Zubcic has the size and athleticism to become a match-up nightmare at the power forward position. He remains somewhat skinny at this point, but has really improved his upper-body strength over the past year. He looked to be a soft player in the practices, but had no trouble fighting for an offensive rebound on his first possession in the game, and taking a hard hit to get to the free throw line. Zubcic followed this up by create a nice look for Kevin Seraphin after handling the ball on a pick and roll, and came down the court a few possessions later showing off his smooth stroke from the three point line. Later in the game, the forward showed very nice agility and ball-handling skills attacking the basket off the dribble, especially late in the game where he finished a drive while taking a hard hit on the head from Renardo Sidney.

    From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz24PueM3Ec
    http://www.draftexpress.com
    2011 adidas EuroCamp

    Tomislav Zubcic had his best game of the camp in today's All-star game as well. He didn't force anything, but he didn't fade into the background and revert to being passive either—which has been a major issue for him in the past.

    He shot the ball with confidence, nailing the two threes he took and shooting 6/7 overall. He was also dialed in to the other aspects of the game too, though, which was good to see. He really utilized his intriguing length grabbing 6 rebounds and swatting two shots.

    Zubcic is someone who has intrigued us for as long as we can remember – he saw his first DraftExpress write-up five years ago back in 2006, and many still remember his excellent Nike Hoop Summit performance.

    Standing 7-feet tall, with very intriguing perimeter skills, including the ability to lead the break or make shots from beyond the arc, he's a unique prospect that surely caught the eye of many teams here.

    From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz24PvpnZeE
    http://www.draftexpress.com

    The Bad

    2009 Nike Hoop Summit

    On the glass, Zubcic lacks great fundamentals and must become better at using his body to create position. His defense must improve as well, though he does show good anticipation off the ball, and had a couple of impressive blocks during the game. If he continues to get stronger in his lower body, the Croatian big has a chance to become an asset on the defensive end of the floor.

    Surprisingly, a number of scouts we talked to indicated that Zubcic has somewhat of a selfish reputation overseas, and might not play as effectively if he doesn't get an adequate number of touches on offense. We definitely saw signs of this during the practices, and Coach Beveridge got on his case about it early in the week. It worked out for the best, however, because it allowed Zubcic to find his role on the team, and he became a key cog for the first international victory since 1998.

    From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz24PwZsn3n
    http://www.draftexpress.com
    2011 EuroCamp

    On the other hand, Zubcic has been a distinct underachiever throughout his career, easily rattled and dropping his head at the first sign of adversity. His physical and mental toughness leave a lot to be desired, and that reflects not only in the inconsistency he shows from game to game and even quarter to quarter, but also in his defense and rebounding ability, which are well below average for a player his size. The fact that his wingspan is shorter than his height surely doesn't help matters here.

    From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz24PwyIoQe
    http://www.draftexpress.com
    @Chr1st1anL

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Starter Sam17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Brampton, ON
    Posts
    375
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Wow nice vid. A 7 footer that could shoot from 3 is always nice. I also like his his move at 0:47, and his explosive drive to the basket at 1:22. He seems pretty athletic as well. I don't know if he'll ever end up making the trip to the NBA, or maybe his rights will be traded before he has a chance to play, but I like what I saw in that minute and a half

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This kid is so over-enthusiastic. I love the energy he brings.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North York, ON
    Posts
    865
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default



    From Turbozone's site
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,170
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post


    From Turbozone's site
    lmao.

    Colangelo is going to hype up this kid sometime in the near future when the Raptors have another mediocre season.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Starter omgsomuchpotential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    372
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    lmao.

    Colangelo is going to hype up this kid sometime in the near future when the Raptors have another mediocre season.
    He's good though, no? I actually can imagine if everything about him would be the same except he'd be of american nationality, he would've been picked in top30. There always seems to be some underrating as far as international talents go. Take Manu for example.
    Last edited by omgsomuchpotential; Fri Aug 24th, 2012 at 07:05 PM.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,170
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
    He's good though, no? I actually can imagine if everything about him would be the same except he'd be of american nationality, he would've been picked in top30. There always seems to be some underrating as far as international talents go. Take Manu for example.
    He kinda reminds me of Zan Tabak, that may be a good thing or not.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,027
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    From watching the video he reminds me a lot of this guy:


  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    He kinda reminds me of Zan Tabak, that may be a good thing or not.
    I remember a game the Raps won against the Bulls that caused Michael Jordan, in the post game interviews to say something like "Before tonight I never even heard of this guy. Now we're double teaming him?"

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    2,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Are we actually gonna see him play next season? I mean, we haven't even heard anything about signing him. Anyone know the situation going on with Tomislav Zubcic?

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    3,857
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    Are we actually gonna see him play next season? I mean, we haven't even heard anything about signing him. Anyone know the situation going on with Tomislav Zubcic?
    If his rights aren't traded will probably won't see him till 2014. Has 2 years remaining with Cibona. He should be 24 years old by than.
    @Chr1st1anL

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Starter Sam17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Brampton, ON
    Posts
    375
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Nope not next year, he's one of those draft and stash players. Often times those players end up coming into the league years later, or they never end up making the trip at all. The rights to a lot of those guys are often traded to other teams before the player joins the league as well. I hope we'll see him with the Raptors in the next couple of years though because I really like what I've seen and heard about him

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Rookie Garbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    149
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I love this thread! Completely forgot about this kid, and I'm thoroughly enjoying reading up on him.
    This is why I come to RR.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Before Zubčić can even dream of becoming an NBA player, he has to become one of the better players on his own team in Europe (Cibona). I did a little research and he had a rough year last year. His minutes dropped from around 24 minutes a game in 2010-2011 (over the various leagues he plays in: Euroleague, ABA, A-1), to around 15 minutes a game in 2011-2012 (Euroleague qualifying, Eurocup, ABA, A-1). His shooting percentages all took a hit and his production went down.

    2010-2011: 50 games, 23.9 mpg, 10.0 ppg, 49.4% shooting, 37.3% 3-point (2.5 attempts per game), 71.1% ft, 5.1 boards.

    2011-2012: 50 games, 14.7 mpg, 6.4 ppg, 42.2% shooting, 27.8% 3-point (2.2 attempts), 79.6% ft, 3.0 boards.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    not expecting him to ever play in the league and wish we used that pick on machado, who might be able to play in the league. would have saved a little bit of money on a third stringer if he had of made the team and could have learnt from jose before he leaves.

    i think we drafted him because no one would buy the pick and we had to use it.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    215
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    not expecting him to ever play in the league and wish we used that pick on machado, who might be able to play in the league. would have saved a little bit of money on a third stringer if he had of made the team and could have learnt from jose before he leaves.

    i think we drafted him because no one would buy the pick and we had to use it.
    The problem with that theory is that there will be a hundred Machado's that you can choose from on a yearly basis from the NCAA, D League or Europe etc. but a 7 footer who can shoot and handle the ball like a 3 is far more desirable a risk. He may never amout to anything in the NBA, but just look at Sundiata Gaines, Mike James, John Lucas III, there are a lot of them out there.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,057
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CT2010 wrote: View Post
    The problem with that theory is that there will be a hundred Machado's that you can choose from on a yearly basis from the NCAA, D League or Europe etc. but a 7 footer who can shoot and handle the ball like a 3 is far more desirable a risk. He may never amout to anything in the NBA, but just look at Sundiata Gaines, Mike James, John Lucas III, there are a lot of them out there.
    For what its worth, I agree with you. Many detractors will likely point to Isaiah Thomas at 60 last year. Personally, I think it further supports the theory even the first round can be a crap shoot and the 2nd round - especially late - is a lottery ticket.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North York, ON
    Posts
    865
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    For what its worth, I agree with you. Many detractors will likely point to Isaiah Thomas at 60 last year. Personally, I think it further supports the theory even the first round can be a crap shoot and the 2nd round - especially late - is a lottery ticket.

    Exactly.

    I hated when people were saying "oh it's a deep draft" before the draft and then using a mock draft to support their arguments that Ross was a reach after it.
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    215
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    For what its worth, I agree with you. Many detractors will likely point to Isaiah Thomas at 60 last year. Personally, I think it further supports the theory even the first round can be a crap shoot and the 2nd round - especially late - is a lottery ticket.
    agreed. I like Machado's game and thought that the Raps could have taken a chance on him. But if I had a choice between taking a flyer on an undersized third string point guard or a 7 footer with shooting range and decent handles and athleticism, I am going for the 7 footer every time.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CT2010 wrote: View Post
    The problem with that theory is that there will be a hundred Machado's that you can choose from on a yearly basis from the NCAA, D League or Europe etc. but a 7 footer who can shoot and handle the ball like a 3 is far more desirable a risk. He may never amout to anything in the NBA, but just look at Sundiata Gaines, Mike James, John Lucas III, there are a lot of them out there.
    Will he ever be as good as Alexis Ajinca? And where did Alexis played last year?

    Color me skeptic.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •