Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Forgotten Raptor: Tomislav Zubcic

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    not expecting him to ever play in the league and wish we used that pick on machado, who might be able to play in the league. would have saved a little bit of money on a third stringer if he had of made the team and could have learnt from jose before he leaves.

i think we drafted him because no one would buy the pick and we had to use it.
    The problem with that theory is that there will be a hundred Machado's that you can choose from on a yearly basis from the NCAA, D League or Europe etc. but a 7 footer who can shoot and handle the ball like a 3 is far more desirable a risk. He may never amout to anything in the NBA, but just look at Sundiata Gaines, Mike James, John Lucas III, there are a lot of them out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CT2010 wrote: View Post
    The problem with that theory is that there will be a hundred Machado's that you can choose from on a yearly basis from the NCAA, D League or Europe etc. but a 7 footer who can shoot and handle the ball like a 3 is far more desirable a risk. He may never amout to anything in the NBA, but just look at Sundiata Gaines, Mike James, John Lucas III, there are a lot of them out there.
    For what its worth, I agree with you. Many detractors will likely point to Isaiah Thomas at 60 last year. Personally, I think it further supports the theory even the first round can be a crap shoot and the 2nd round - especially late - is a lottery ticket.

Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    For what its worth, I agree with you. Many detractors will likely point to Isaiah Thomas at 60 last year. Personally, I think it further supports the theory even the first round can be a crap shoot and the 2nd round - especially late - is a lottery ticket.

Exactly.

I hated when people were saying "oh it's a deep draft" before the draft and then using a mock draft to support their arguments that Ross was a reach after it.
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    agreed. I like Machado's game and thought that the Raps could have taken a chance on him. But if I had a choice between taking a flyer on an undersized third string point guard or a 7 footer with shooting range and decent handles and athleticism, I am going for the 7 footer every time.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tomislav Zubcic vs Jonas Valanciunas

Yeah, it's pretty long. Tomislav comes in at the 29:30 mark and Jonas starts. They both on the at the 30:11 mark for the first time. In Tomislav first stink on the court you get to see him push the ball up the court on the break. His handle is superb for a 7footer. He would definitely give DeMar a run for his money. It was pretty impressive! In 8 minutes he had a stat line of 7 pts 2rebs 2 ast all in the 2nd Q(Didn't play first Q)

@Chr1st1anL

Post Thanks / Like

Teach him to pump fake a bunch of times and you'll have the second coming of Bargnani

EDIT: Also, is this a Euro-thing?

Last edited by theycallmeZZ; Tue Aug 28th, 2012 at 11:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Every team need to get that bonus pick, the second round guy that comes in and can be a very good player. Guys like Michael Redd, Manu, Mehmet Okur, Carlos Boozer, P.J. Brown...guys that will make your team better, maybe we finally found our guy...2-3 years down the road he could be coming over and providing quality depth...or maybe we will never see him.

Post Thanks / Like

Lang Greene from Hoopsworld.com thoughts

Christian
    What do you know about the raptors’#56 pick Tomislav Zubcic?

Lang Greene
    Christian … good range on the jumper … questions about his lateral quickness …body needs to develop before he’ll be able to bang in the post at the NBA level.
    Christian
    Tomislav Zubcic is definitely a 4 than a 3?

Lang Greene
    He’s probsbly more of a 3, but the bigger threes will take him into the post and force him to go body-to-body … and he’s not ready for that physicality just yet.
    @Chr1st1anL

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

That's awesome, I really hope he does make the jump next season

Post Thanks / Like

And I love the fact that he strives to play like Durant!

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
    Thanks for that. Very good.

Post Thanks / Like

Yannis Kroutroupis (NBA and NCAA analyst) thoughts

Christian
    What can you tell us Raptors about are #56 pick Tomislav Zubcic?

Yannis Koutroupis
    Can handle the basketball, has good size. Don’t think he can defend small forwards in the NBA. Has a decent stroke.
    @Chr1st1anL

Post Thanks / Like

Stephen Brotherston's Thoughts

Christian
    Do you think Tomislav Zubcic will ever play for the raptors?

Stephen Brotherston
    Welcome to this afternoon’s chat.
    Time to talk basketball when there is absolutely nothing going on (yet) – but its still the best way to spend an afternoon!

Zubic is 22-years-old – he slide back last season – especially in the Eurocup play and that’s after decent Euroleague play (higher) the season before.

He’s 6′ 11″, he can rebound, he’s supposed to have a good jumpshot – not last year – so he’s got a lot to make up for to get back on an NBA track. Typical late 2nd round intriguing prospect that the Raptors have historically been terrible at picking out the winners from.

As of right now – odds aren’t good he’ll ever play in the NBA – But maybe he turns things around this season? It’s easy to see why the Raps used a pick on him even though he’s no where near ready to play in the NBA – 6′ 11″ with some skills – if you throw enough mud at the wall, some of it sticks.
    ivan
    I m from croatia and i hear yesterday that tomislav zubcic wants in nba next year.I watched a lot of his games here and i don’t think that he is nba material.He is soft,does’t play defense,lousy rebounder for tall 3 or 4,hasn’t developed much in last 2 years.What do you think about him?

Stephen Brotherston
    He definitely wasn’t NBA material last season. It’s the classic – young big guys take longer to develop – but I agree he has not shown the steady progress which would lead someone to believe that he is going to make it.

Based on last season, I agree with you. Soft, not deserving of more court time. Maybe he figures out how to use his size & skills, but at 22-years-old – kind of hope we’d already seen some of that.
    @Chr1st1anL

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CT2010 wrote: View Post
    Will he ever be as good as Alexis Ajinca? And where did Alexis played last year?

Color me skeptic.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Tomislav Zubcic 17 pts 2 Rebs 3 Ast 6-12 FG 1-3 3FG 2-2 FT in 22 mins in his first regular season game. In a lost.
    @Chr1st1anL

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Tomislav Zubcic 17 pts 2 Rebs 3 Ast 6-12 FG 1-3 3FG 2-2 FT in 22 mins in his first regular season game. In a lost.
    What is significant is that he was one of the starters (at the 4 presumably). His minutes were down last year. Fifteen minutes a game compared to 24 mpg the year before. It's a good sign.

Post Thanks / Like

Tomislav Zubcic not so impressive today 2pts 3rebs 3fouls 1-3 FG 0-1 3FG in 12mins
    @Chr1st1anL

Post Thanks / Like

Tomislav Zubcic bounce back from a poor showing last game with 13pts 5rebs(4 OFF) 1ast 3to 2-6 FG 0-1 3FG 9-10 FT in 23 mins and came away with the teams first W
    @Chr1st1anL

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information