No announcement yet.

Interesting article on DeRozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Demar Derozan does not have the killer instinct. He reminds me of a poor mans Joe Johnson a little bit, but without the amazing shooting ability or the iso ability.
    Although, what I've seen of DeRozan on a couple of tapes and videos, his ball-handling has significantly improved, and that open jumper/pull-up jumper does not look guard-able. Not to mention the fact he is already deadly in the open court.

If Derozan can build into a Joe Johnson type player, I wouldn't be upset. Derozan having a capable handle, and a good outside jumper could easily average 20+ points, being he can score well even without a great handle/jump-shot.

Wasn't he compared to Kobe and Vince when first drafted? I see the Kobe-esque scoring in his mid-ranged jump-shot and the post game, and the athleticism like Vince, but nothing else.

I think we also have to cut Demar some slack here, it's like nobody remembers that he was extremely raw coming in to the league. Defensively there's no excuse, but offensively, with no other threat on the court, he will get pressured. And with his raw game, there's not much to go to.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
      Demar Derozan does not have the killer instinct. He reminds me of a poor mans Joe Johnson a little bit, but without the amazing shooting ability or the iso ability.
      Although, what I've seen of DeRozan on a couple of tapes and videos, his ball-handling has significantly improved, and that open jumper/pull-up jumper does not look guard-able. Not to mention the fact he is already deadly in the open court.

If Derozan can build into a Joe Johnson type player, I wouldn't be upset. Derozan having a capable handle, and a good outside jumper could easily average 20+ points, being he can score well even without a great handle/jump-shot.

Wasn't he compared to Kobe and Vince when first drafted? I see the Kobe-esque scoring in his mid-ranged jump-shot and the post game, and the athleticism like Vince, but nothing else.

I think we also have to cut Demar some slack here, it's like nobody remembers that he was extremely raw coming in to the league. Defensively there's no excuse, but offensively, with no other threat on the court, he will get pressured. And with his raw game, there's not much to go to.
      DeRozan is a great example of why it should be mandatory 2-year minimum of NCAA time, instead of 1. Explosive athleticism can allow you succeed in the NCAA, but not so much in the NBA (there are many more examples of this than just DD). I think he would have greatly benefited by maturing and learning system play better, by spending another year in school.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        DeRozan is a great example of why it should be mandatory 2-year minimum of NCAA time, instead of 1. Explosive athleticism can allow you succeed in the NCAA, but not so much in the NBA (there are many more examples of this than just DD). I think he would have greatly benefited by maturing and learning system play better, by spending another year in school.
        And I totally agree with you there. An extra year would give these guys that year of experience and knowledge. Going through the whole entire process, and coming back and using it to your advantage. Also, a year of strengthening and working individually on his game would be better suited as well.

But, remember his second year - the year he had his breakout year - would be his rookie season if stayed another year.

Also, a second year could hurt the draft stock or value for a player in all circumstances. It's happened to the best of players i.e Sullinger, Jones, Barnes. Even more players from past drafts.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
          And I totally agree with you there. An extra year would give these guys that year of experience and knowledge. Going through the whole entire process, and coming back and using it to your advantage. Also, a year of strengthening and working individually on his game would be better suited as well.

But, remember his second year - the year he had his breakout year - would be his rookie season if stayed another year.

Also, a second year could hurt the draft stock or value for a player in all circumstances. It's happened to the best of players i.e Sullinger, Jones, Barnes. Even more players from past drafts.
          There's obviously no perfect plan for every player, but DeRozan was an immature 19 year old kid who I don't think was mentally prepared for the NBA game. It's more about maturity, strength & conditioning and playing within a system, that kids get from another year of NCAA (assuming they're in a decent program). It gives them opportunity to deal with adversity and learn how to build chemistry with a team, rather than just focussing on showcasing individual skills that a lot of these 1-and-down guys do.

Comment

There's obviously no perfect plan for every player, but DeRozan was an immature 19 year old kid who I don't think was mentally prepared for the NBA game. It's more about maturity, strength & conditioning and playing within a system, that kids get from another year of NCAA (assuming they're in a decent program). It gives them opportunity to deal with adversity and learn how to build chemistry with a team, rather than just focussing on showcasing individual skills that a lot of these 1-and-down guys do.
            True, but also, Demar's attitude was mature coming IN to the league. He had great poise and maturity, didn't say much, and played the game. I was a big fan of him in the first 2 years of his career, this past season I was surprised that he was constantly upset, and angry at calls. Getting T's and getting thrown out of a game? It wasn't him.

I think the pressure got to him, and like you said, being an immature 1-and-down player, he didn't know how to handle it when it came by him.

Comment

DeRozan is a great example of why it should be mandatory 2-year minimum of NCAA time, instead of 1. ... I think he would have greatly benefited by maturing and learning system play better, by spending another year in school.
              My bet is he learns alot more, alot quicker in his first year of NBA than he would have if he spent another year at USC.

Further more, you've got guys like TMac, Kobe, Lebron, KG, Tyson Chandler, Al Harrington, Monta Ellis, Dwight, Amare, Josh Smith etc, who have all taken what started off as Freak athleticism in High School, and turned into Exceptional careers in the NBA.
              Without so much as a single day in the NCAA.

Yes you also have guys like Gerald Green and Johnathan Bender who have NOT; but I don't think you can make a blanket statement such as yours without acknowledging that MANY players have succeeded with ZERO years of NCAA basketball.

Not to mention he left USC so he could support his Dying Mother ...
              Last edited by Joey; Mon Aug 27, 2012, 05:50 PM.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                My bet is he learns alot more, alot quicker in his first year of NBA than he would have if he spent another year at USC.

Further more, you've got guys like TMac, Kobe, Lebron, KG, Tyson Chandler, Al Harrington, Monta Ellis, Dwight, Amare, Josh Smith etc, who have all taken what started off as Freak athleticism in High School, and turned into Exceptional careers in the NBA.
                Without so much as a single day in the NCAA.

Yes you also have guys like Gerald Green and Johnathan Bender who have NOT; but I don't think you can make a blanket statement such as yours without acknowledging that MANY players have succeeded with ZERO years of NCAA basketball.

Not to mention he left USC so he could support his Dying Mother ...
                Hard to argue against history and numbers, but as of now, extra years in college are either great for a player, or bad. In Demar's case, it looks like it would have better been suited to stay another year.

And I did not know about his mother's condition.... Wow, Demar is a good man though. I can tell he is a family man for sure.

Comment

You know, I'm not a huge Derozan fan (although i dont dislike him either) but I think the idea that he is soft and doesn't finish hard around the rim is bullshit, to be blunt. He draws a TON of fouls. I'm not saying he can't be even better but, let's at least criticize him for all the stuff he's bad at, instead of the stuff he's good at. The reason he doesn't 'crown' people more is because it is hard to dunk over defenders who are 4 inches taller than you And weigh 50 pounds more. If you foul a guy hard in the air, he usually won't finish, and the guys that do are often superstars. Derozan is totally willing to drive into a bigger defender and finish or get fouled. He does it all the time. He takes a beating most games, which is why he sometimes complains about not getting calls. But he still usually sucks it up and does what he does, and good for him.

Comment

malefax wrote: View Post
                    You know, I'm not a huge Derozan fan (although i dont dislike him either) but I think the idea that he is soft and doesn't finish hard around the rim is bullshit, to be blunt. He draws a TON of fouls. I'm not saying he can't be even better but, let's at least criticize him for all the stuff he's bad at, instead of the stuff he's good at. The reason he doesn't 'crown' people more is because it is hard to dunk over defenders who are 4 inches taller than you And weigh 50 pounds more. If you foul a guy hard in the air, he usually won't finish, and the guys that do are often superstars. Derozan is totally willing to drive into a bigger defender and finish or get fouled. He does it all the time. He takes a beating most games, which is why he sometimes complains about not getting calls. But he still usually sucks it up and does what he does, and good for him.
                    +1

Comment

malefax wrote: View Post
                      I would agree with you except the the number of times in the past 2 seasons where Derozan went up fully expecting the call to bail him out. The only time he finishes at the rim is when there is no one else around him. Put any form of defence near the hoop and he goes up for the foul, not for the finish.
                      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                        I would agree with you except the the number of times in the past 2 seasons where Derozan went up fully expecting the call to bail him out. The only time he finishes at the rim is when there is no one else around him. Put any form of defence near the hoop and he goes up for the foul, not for the finish.
                        +1

play for the basket not the foul. refs aren't dumb. one or two seasons of balls out at anyone in the way and the refs will change their tunes and assume he is going for it everytime.

Comment

+1

Comment

My comparison was for dunking ability only. DeRozan has proven he has the hops to have given VC a run for his money in the dunk contest. My original point was (and remains) that DeRozan has the skill set and athleticism to be a force at the rim by dunking on people, and needs to stop trying to force the foul call that causes him to miss all these attempts at the rim. If he simply went up strong and dunk every time, regardless of the defence, then he'd get more free throw attempts and shoot a higher % at the rim.
                            DD isn't anywhere close to VC in terms of dunking ability. VC crowned guys, crushed 'em, killed 'em, ruined careers, humiliated veterans known for their D at the rim. VC did it with power, finesse and attitude. All D guys got the hell outta his way when he went up and entire team defences were designed to stop his penetration.

DD has hops. That's it. he has trouble palming the ball and is not an mass murder headed to the hoop. He just isn't on Carters level at all. Not even close. He goes up strong, just he isn't strong enough to finish through contact and doesn't have the ball control (or swag) necessary to adjust in mid flight.
                            Last edited by minks77; Mon Sep 17, 2012, 07:52 AM.
                            LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
                              DD isn't anywhere close to VC in terms of dunking ability. VC crowned guys, crushed 'em, killed 'em, ruined careers, humiliated veterans known for their D at the rim. VC did it with power, finesse and attitude. All D guys got the hell outta his way when he went up and entire team defences were designed to stop his penetration.

DD has hops. That's it. he has trouble palming the ball and is not an mass murder headed to the hoop. He just isn't on Carters level at all. Not even close. He goes up strong, just he isn't strong enough to finish through contact and doesn't have the ball control (or swag) necessary to adjust in mid flight.
                              Totally agree. DD is nowhere near the same vicinity as as Carter in terms of dunking ability. Not even close. Carter could arguably be considered the greatest dunker in NBA history (beating out Dr. J., Jordan, and Dominique).

DeRozan's in the same league as Stackhouse, Larry Hughes, Shannon Brown, and Fred Jones.

Comment

fantastic article, very well done. going to echo the sentiments that it's a make or break year for demar (along with a couple other players) and with Ross there he REALLY needs to step up. casey was never scared to pull him and i think he'll yank him even faster this year.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X