Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coaching Simulations for your 2012-2013 Toronto Raptors.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaching Simulations for your 2012-2013 Toronto Raptors.

So, life for Raptors fans has been slow. Since there hasn't been much to talk about, why not get some excitement going into the veins?

I've decided to make some sort of 'simulation', or coaching plan. Where you get to fit the players you feel will be the best in, or what they will do for you on the court!

Who's your player(s) for a specific need, and why?

Roster:

PG: Kyle Lowry
    PG: Jose Calderon
    PG: John Lucas III
    SG/SF: Demar Derozan
    SG: Terrence Ross
    SG/SF: Alan Anderson
    SG/SF: Landry Fields
    SF/PF: Linas Kleiza
    PF: Andrea Bargnani
    PF/C: Amir Johnson
    PF: Ed Davis
    PF: Quincy Acy
    C: Jonas Valanciunas
    C: Aaron Gray

What is your starting 5?

Who is your sixth man?

Who is your main defensive stopper? (player you trust to guard other team's best player)

Who takes the last shot?

Which two are sitting in street clothes?

Best offensive lineup?

Best defensive lineup?

All explained best with: WHY?

Have some fun with this!
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

What is your starting 5?:

Lowry
    Derozan
    Fields
    Bargnani
    Valanciunas

Why: Went strictly on talent, I feel the more talented the team, the better production will be on the court. Lowry, Fields, and Valanciunas make this team better on both ends of the court right away.

Who is your sixth man?:

Linas Kleiza. This man is cold-blooded. When healthy, and things are going right, he is lethal for 30+ off the bench. We've seen small peeks of him this season, especially the great game he had against Utah when we broke the streak. I'm not expecting any of our rookies to make HUGE jumps right out of the gate, so Kleiza is my man.

Who is your main defensive stopper? (player you trust to guard other team's best player):

Landry Fields. I believe he is a better fundamental defender than James Johnson. Able to defend the post, and keep his man in front. James Johnson took too many risks, jumped on shot-fakes, trying to gamble, and was very inconsistent. Demar being he's sort of a liability defensively, Ross being a rookie, and Linas being inconsistent defensively as well, Fields was an easy pick.

Who takes the last shot?:

Lowry. Best shot creator on this team by far. In the past, we've been a team that has to run plays for Andrea, Demar, Jose to get off their shots. IMO, we are in a position that has a very good ball-handler, penetrator, and well enough shooter, that he can get his shot whether dribble drive, play-call, screen etc. He can get his own shot.

Which two are sitting in street clothes?:

Anderson and Acy. With our point guards being injury prone, that 3rd point guard should come in handy, that's why Lucas will be available if called. Already with a 4 man wing rotation, where Lucas and Jose can play the 2, Anderson is the roster filler.
    Acy sits because of the logjam at the four, with Ed Davis already having enough trouble trying to find playing time against Bargnani and Amir.

Best offensive lineup?:

Lowry
    Jose
    Derozan
    Kleiza
    Andrea

Pure offense. All are capable of putting 20+ on any given night.

Best defensive lineup?:

Lowry
    Ross
    Fields
    A. Johnson
    J. Valanciunas

Jose and Demar are defensive liabilities. Ross is known to have a good motor, and get's after it defensively. Amir and Valanciunas will foul, and will get in trouble for it, but if defense was the reason we win a game, I trust them with it. Valanciunas a little skeptical, but never the less, is a defensive anchor.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

What is your starting 5?

SG: DeMar DeRozan
      SF: Landry Fields
      C: Amir Johnson

Why? Well I think Lowry, DeRozan and Bargnani are a lock to start, at least in the beginning of the season. As for the SF spot, I think that Fields will have edge over Ross and Kleiza. I also think Valanciunas will start the season on the bench, simply because he hasn't had much time with the team, is a rookie and Amir is experienced and knows Casey's playbook.

Who is your sixth man?

Valanciunas.

Why? Simply because he has the talent to start, but will be off the bench. Will provide that spark of energy and enthusiasm on both ends. I actually think he'll work fantastically playing 22-26 minutes a game without making the team lose a beat, and hopefully improve the team when he's on.

Who is your main defensive stopper? (player you trust to guard other team's best player)

Kyle Lowry.

Why? He's our best defender, statistically, and in a guard dominated league I wouldn't be surprised if he had the hardest defensive task. I would've gone with Johnson, but I think that Lowry will have more "talented" players to defend.

Who takes the last shot?

Whoever is open.

Why? We don't have any clutch player, and I don't think anyone can demand the ball on the last possession. The best play, the player who's open, that's who should take the last shot. If I had to pick one player, it would be Bargnani.

John Lucas and Quincy Acy.

Why? We're deep at both PG and PF, they would only see increased minutes if there's an injury. Not much explaining to do really.

Best offensive lineup?

PG: Calderon
      SG: Landry Fields
      SF: Linas Kleiza
      C: Amir Johnson.

Why? Calderon's stroke is still quick and effective, and is a better passer and distributor than Lowry. Offensively he shoots better and will make the offense around him better. I picked Fields over DeRozan simply because Fields works within an offense. He isn't a better offensive player compared to DeRozan but can be extremely effective in an offense as a catch and shoot 3 point threat. Kleiza, when healthy, is an incredible offensive threat, a bit undersized but is very strong and can hit a shot from anywhere. Can create his own offense, whether in the post or on the three point line. Andrea for obvious reasons, even with his defense in doubt he is one of the best offensive big men in the league. Amir is seen by most as a mainly defensive player, but like Landry he plays well within an offense. He has a consistent 16-17 foot jumper, gets offensive rebounds and doesn't demand the ball. Davis might have a better post game, but I sitll thought Amir would make this a better offensive lineup.
      Also if Landry Fields can find his shooting form from his rookie season you have 4 3 point threats on the team.

Best defensive lineup?

SG: Terrence Ross
      SF: Landry Fields
      PF: Amir Johnson
      C: Jonas Valanciunas

Why? Well Lowry I explained before. Ross, though a rookie, is already expected to be an improvement defensively on DeRozan, so I will trust my gut and the scouting reports. Fields over Kleiza was a fairly easy choice, Kleiza is an undersized PF and will have trouble with the quicker and taller SF the NBA has stocked up on recently. Amir was one of the better defenders on the team last year, and will have an easier task at the PF. Valanciunas has the length, skill and speed to be a great defender. Probably already a better defender than Bargnani, from what I've seen from him.
      Last edited by JoePanini; Wed Aug 29, 2012, 05:04 AM.

Comment

I am making the assumption that we are talking about how we see this team at the beginning of the season. These answers will change with time of course, but I and the coaching staff will need evidence to make a better more efficient lineup. Also, we do not have the luxury of training camp to see how everyone meshes and who has improved where.

But, what the heck:

What is your starting 5?
        pg-Lowry
        sg-Derozen
        sf-Kleiza
        pf-Bargs
        c-Gray
        I think that having all the new guys start over last years players is sending the wrong message. This team is very adaptable and so to name a starting lineup and be right will be tough, because it will depend on matchups. But you want someone to go on record in order to generate debate....here you go.

Who is your sixth man?

Fields

I don't like Kleiza playing much more than 20 minutes per game. He has a tendency to get over confident and try to play above his ability. Fields and Kleiza will likely split minutes down the middle, with Fields maybe getting a bit more crunch time minutes depending on the situation.

Fields (by default)

Going mostly on hype and previous performances. None of last years players would be entered here, maybe JJ because you need an answer. The other possibility would be Lowry. Again, it depends on if we're playing Miami or Brooklyn.

Who takes the last shot?

Bargs

Still our best player. Maybe not best play-maker (Lowry), but the offence still goes through Bargs.

Acy
        Anderson

Because they aren't as good as the others.

Best offensive lineup?

pg-Lowry
        sg-Calderon
        sf-Kleiza
        pf-Bargs
        c-Gray

Nice combination of low post banging, a lifted 4, a penetrating guard, and deadly outside shooting. I think this is well balanced. Plus any team will likely have to double Bargs or Lowry leaving lots of options for our skilled role players.

Best defensive lineup?

pg-Lowry
        sg-Fields
        sf-Derozen
        pf-ED
        c-Val

2 guys up front to stay in front of your man. 2 good help defenders (in the case of Val, this will be the only time I am going based on hope, not evidence). 1 athletic wing to run around like Roadrunner trying to disrupt stuff. meep meep
        Welp, that sucked.

Comment

What is your starting 5?
          PG: Lowry
          SG: DeRozan
          SF: Fields
          PF: Bargs
          V: Valanciunas
          Who is your sixth man?
          Linas Kleiza
          Fields
          Who takes the last shot?
          Bargnani
          A.Anderson, Quincy Acy
          Best offensive lineup?
          Calderon
          Lowry
          DeRozan
          Kleiza
          Bargs
          Best defensive lineup?
          Lowry
          DeRozan
          Fields
          E.Davis
          Val

Comment

What is your starting 5?

Lowry
            Demar
            Fields
            Bargs
            Jonas V

Jose's passing ability instantly makes a second unit better, so Lowry gets the start. Fields seems like the most talented SF and not a bad defender. Jonas V because we dont have any better true centers and giving him lots of exposure shouldn't hurt.

Who is your sixth man?

Terrence Ross. A lottery(ish) pick deserves his share of minutes. He's a pretty good long range shooter and it'll put some fire under Derozan's ass.

Lowry for the star guards, Fields for the wings and Amir Johnson for the bigs based purely on his effort.

Who takes the last shot?

Somebody with swagger ----- Kyle Lowry

Anderson and Acy (logjammed PF).

Best offensive lineup?

PG Jose --- distributes and runs pnr
            SG Lowry
            SF Derozan
            PF Bargnani
            C JV --- pick n roll + throwbacks

Best defensive lineup?

Lowry
            Terrence Ross
            Fields
            Ed Davis
            Andrea Bargnani

Derozan - defence - enough said.
            Bargnani selected because I believe he's headed in the right direction. He may not rebound the best but his man coverage is not half bad and the rest of the lineup's rebounding ability could cover it up.
            Last edited by koncept; Wed Aug 29, 2012, 09:29 PM.
            in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

What is your starting 5?

Lowry
              Fields
              Kleiza
              Bargs
              Johnson

This is the lineup I would want on the floor the most if I was coaching. Bargs and Johnson play amazing together, Kleiza was a huge plus last year, and fields and Lowry both spread the floor, defend, and make their teams better in the little ways. Johnson will probably be the teams best rim protector for this year, and even if Davis is a bit better he gives up too much on offense.

I might start DeRozan over Kleiza in the name of player development, but if I wanted to win a particular basketball game in November, this is the lineup I would start. Three point shooters to spread the floor, very solid offense and defense.

Who is your sixth man?

Derozan. Suits his skillset: he can come in and score points.

Fields. Hopefully TRoss develops into that role. Really, though, I don't think that's how Casey's system works.

Who takes the last shot?

Well, the ball starts in Lowry's hands, but Bargs is the first option for the last shot.

Gray and John Lucas. Gray is an absolute train wreck: he can't defend anyone (real post men destroy him) and he has no range. And he can't finish. The third guard doesn't play unless someone is injured.

Best offensive lineup?

PG Jose
              SG Lowry
              SF Derozan
              PF Kleiza
              C Bargnani

Every guy is a threat. Great shooting, great floor spacing, lots of shot creation.

Best defensive lineup?

Lowry
              Terrence Ross
              Fields
              Ed Davis
              Andrea Bargnani

If t Ross isn't reliable with rotations, play field at the 2 and Alan Anderson at 3.

Comment

What is your starting 5?

Lowry
                DeRozan
                Fields
                Bargnani
                Valanciunas

Who is your sixth man?

Jose/T. Ross - having a guard come in as a sixth man brings more energy/enthusiasm (we've already seen what's been done in Oklahoma)

Fields - would've gone with Lowry if not for his height, Landry has the size/ability to guard positions 1-4
                Who takes the last shot?

Acy and Anderson (though Lucas is a close second)

Best offensive lineup?

Lowry
                Jose
                DeRozan
                Bargnani
                Valanciunas

Best defensive lineup?

Lowry
                T. Ross
                Kleiza
                Amir
                Gray