Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who is the Raptor's alpha dog ?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Who is the Raptor's alpha dog ?

Just finished reading Shaq's book and about all the great players he played with. Every successful team needs one alpha dog to lead the team. Does the Raptor's have that player and if so who it would it be ?

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Personality-wise, it's gotta be Lowry.

I don't see Bargnani or DeRozan having the voices to strut the Alpha Dog strut.

Valanciunas may grow into the Alpha Dog role one day.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptorfanatic wrote: View Post
    Just finished reading Shaq's book and about all the great players he played with. Every successful team needs one alpha dog to lead the team. Does the Raptor's have that player and if so who it would it be ?
    Do the Raps have an alpha dog? No.

Do the Raps have a player they are treating as if he is the alpha dog? Yes.

And there in lies what is probably the biggest issue that exists, and has existed since Vince Carter used to try, with this team.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

The alpha dog should be lowry - but it wont matter unless Lowry plays very well (every team needs a garnet) it was regie for us 2 years ago and we were in the playoff picture and then injuries derailed that season

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fields will be that guy. How can he not be after playing with links and Anthony. Go Raps. Tip off can't. Come soon enough.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Fields is way to young and soft spoken to be the Alpha Dog, plus the fact that he wont put the team on his shoulders during any part of the game. Lowry however can get made take the ball and become the Alpha dog in the game, I cannot see Fields doing that or getting on anyone if they aren't competing as hard.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It really comes down to Lowry. If not him than Casey.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lowry will be the alpha dog for better or for worse.

Post Thanks / Like

To address a few things people have brought up. An Alpha dog does not have to be your best player, he does not have to the player the team needs to go to in crunch time, and he does not need to be the face of the franchise.

While many feel that Andrea gets billing as our top guy, nobody thinks he is a "franchise player".
    While expectations are high for Lowry, who knows what he is like as a vocal leader, on court play does not make you an Alpha dog necessarily.
    Our alpha dog could be someone like a Magloire or as someone mentioned Reggie Evans. Someone willing to hold people accountable and not be afraid to step on toes if more key to this title than someone willing to take big shots down the stretch.

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Should be Lowry.

Does it even need to be a player? What about Casey?

Post Thanks / Like

Lowry
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Right now, no one. You don't get appointed alpha dog, you take it over.

If Lowry doesn't take the reigns as alpha dog then we don't have an alpha dog.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    To address a few things people have brought up. An Alpha dog does not have to be your best player, he does not have to the player the team needs to go to in crunch time, and he does not need to be the face of the franchise.

While many feel that Andrea gets billing as our top guy, nobody thinks he is a "franchise player".
    While expectations are high for Lowry, who knows what he is like as a vocal leader, on court play does not make you an Alpha dog necessarily.
    Our alpha dog could be someone like a Magloire or as someone mentioned Reggie Evans. Someone willing to hold people accountable and not be afraid to step on toes if more key to this title than someone willing to take big shots down the stretch.
    To a great extent, I'm with you on this, though I think having someone higher up the food chain than those two has it's advantages.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote p00ka wrote: View Post
    To a great extent, I'm with you on this, though I think having someone higher up the food chain than those two has it's advantages.
    I agree, especially with this roster, but till someone grows into that role, we may see a so called "scrub" take it on till one of our main players grow a set.

Post Thanks / Like

Lowry. Watched a lot of Houston games this year, and he is a very good leader. From the point of attack, the tone is set/changed in the duration of the game. With Lowry being that type of leader, and with his talent, it's perfect.

Let's not forget here, that before the injury, he was one of the top point guards in the LEAGUE. In terms of talent, he's probably leading that second tier of guards (Jennings, Curry, Irving, Rubio, Dragic).

Casey seems to have full faith in Lowry in terms of his basketball abilities and IQ, so why shouldn't we?

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of you guys are talking about a guy who is not necessarily a top player on the roster (like Reggie was), what about Amir? A guy that has chemistry with the group, hustles, plays defence, and works hard. Do you guys think he can be a alpha dog type? I see a lot of those leadership type qualities in him that I dont see in guys like ED and Demar. And let's say he does take over this role, and it becomes evident to Casey and BC that he is the alpha dog, would that mean ED is now the odd man out for PF? What do you guys think about having an alpha dog who is a likely trade asset?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Red and White wrote: View Post
    A lot of you guys are talking about a guy who is not necessarily a top player on the roster (like Reggie was), what about Amir? A guy that has chemistry with the group, hustles, plays defence, and works hard. Do you guys think he can be a alpha dog type? I see a lot of those leadership type qualities in him that I dont see in guys like ED and Demar. And let's say he does take over this role, and it becomes evident to Casey and BC that he is the alpha dog, would that mean ED is now the odd man out for PF? What do you guys think about having an alpha dog who is a likely trade asset?
    Not good in my opinion. We saw important role players in the league, all under pressure of being traded and the team was never.. Together, so to speak.

Having a leader that at some point is traded, means the team has no voice. That's why I feel it's got to be Lowry. Possibly our best player other than Bargnani, proven to be a leader, and sets the tone from both ends of the court.

Amir, Ed, Jose. These guys will be under some trade rumours and etc. I don't want to have a player being traded, whilst they have an important role on the team. Unless obviously the receiving assets are just as good.

I highly doubt Amir is the alpha dog though, because he's constantly got something twerkin' about in his body...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote MyTEAM4Life wrote: View Post
    Fields is way to young and soft spoken to be the Alpha Dog, plus the fact that he wont put the team on his shoulders during any part of the game. Lowry however can get made take the ball and become the Alpha dog in the game, I cannot see Fields doing that or getting on anyone if they aren't competing as hard.
    I disagree. Being soft spoken doesn't necessarily mean that he can't be a good leader.

Like many have said. Lead BY example. Landry Fields is a gel player. Rebounds, defends, runs the play, and does the extras that don't show up on the stat sheet. Shane Battier has been the comparison quite a bit for Landry Fields.

Shane Battier has been one of the most highly commended players in the league, mostly because he leads by example on the court.

I said Lowry should be the alpha dog, but Fields can very well be the alpha dog. His character seems more fit as a leader in the locker room, and on the court. A guy that plays hard, and will converse with the different guys on the team. He's probably the most experienced young guy we have. If you look at the consensus starting lineup...

Lowry, Derozan, Fields, Bargnani, Valanciunas. Fields and Lowry are by far the most experience on that group.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lowry is their alpha dog. Calderone tries and maybe Bargnani thinks he is the alpha dog because there was a rumor he is their best player.

Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Last year, Magloire. This year, Lowry... or ACY!!!

This thread needs a poll.
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information