Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who is the Raptor's alpha dog ?

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    I disagree. Being soft spoken doesn't necessarily mean that he can't be a good leader.

Like many have said. Lead BY example.
    Alright guys, let's get out there and do just like Landry boys!! Woooo
    DeMar you're shooting too well from the 3, we need you somewhere around the mid 20's like our leader.

Jose. JOSE!! what did I tell you about free throws, you close your eyes before you get to the line or else you're never gonna get down to 55% like Landry.

We're never gonna improve unless you guys learn to play like our alpha dog. At least his girlfriend is hot though right, that's worth absolutely nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Jose was the most alpha out of the better players last year. Been here forever, seen all types come and go, seems to be a great teacher, willing to fight back (garnett). Consistantly plays the right way, even defensively last year.

Bargnani could very well be this guy if he plays at his 2nd tier superstar level. Saw his willingness to communicate well on D when he actually played last year. I think he still doesn't realize how good he is at his best, or has some other self-confidence issue, etc. Will he shed the "Enigma" tag?

Alpha by Committee may not be such a bad idea anyway...
    When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great Thread...this is probably going to be the biggest issue for us this year as we transition to a new group of players.

I am going to have to go with Lowry (handling the ball, barking out orders, etc.), but I wouldn't count out JV. He has charisma for a young guy and I think once he gets comfortable in English Speaking countries, he will be a good leader.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Edgar wrote: View Post
    Jose was the most alpha out of the better players last year. Been here forever, seen all types come and go, seems to be a great teacher, willing to fight back (garnett). Consistantly plays the right way, even defensively last year.

Bargnani could very well be this guy if he plays at his 2nd tier superstar level. Saw his willingness to communicate well on D when he actually played last year. I think he still doesn't realize how good he is at his best, or has some other self-confidence issue, etc. Will he shed the "Enigma" tag?

Alpha by Committee may not be such a bad idea anyway...

Its worked so far!

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The term 'alpha dog' is subjective to begin with. In my opinion the alpha dog is not just the leader but also the best player. And if the best player can't lead, the team has no alpha dog.

Hopefully Lowry ends up being the best player. He seems to have that leadership quality that I would like to see in a player.

I know one thing though, neither DeMar, Andrea or Jose would be given that title by me. Not big leaders, IMO.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote BallaBalla wrote: View Post
    Its worked so far!
    Hmmm, not sure if a 23-win season should be labelled as "working"
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    Alright guys, let's get out there and do just like Landry boys!! Woooo
    DeMar you're shooting too well from the 3, we need you somewhere around the mid 20's like our leader.

Jose. JOSE!! what did I tell you about free throws, you close your eyes before you get to the line or else you're never gonna get down to 55% like Landry.

We're never gonna improve unless you guys learn to play like our alpha dog. At least his girlfriend is hot though right, that's worth absolutely nothing.
    Tunnel vision.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

this year i think it will be lowry 100% -- but past seasons, could make the argument that calderon was the alpha dog, he seemed to be one of the better leaders, actually trying to get guys going

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the alpha dog is on the roster from last season. closest for me would be kleiza in attitude but, sadly, not game.

best hope for attitude and game is Lowry.

in the event he fails there will always be an alpha dog on the sideline in DC.

Post Thanks / Like

Jerryd Bayless.

Oh wait.. damn.
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

Raptors Republic Rookie pillowmint's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lowry. End of discussion.

Not sure if any of you caught him when he first got here, he addressed the Raptors as his team. That he and Andrea would be running the show. I loved the confidence and I hope he doesn't back down. This is his chance to shine, max out as a player, and show the rest of the league why he deserves it all. Smack talk only gets you to the door, playing to back it up gets you through it.
    i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

Raptors Republic Rookie WestsideRidah's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Should be Lowry but I will not at all be shocked if my main man Quincy is the one to step up and take control of the locker room.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93wMe...eature=related
    Dude just seems like a natural leader.

Post Thanks / Like

If it is Lowry, the more he develops as the Alpha dog/team leader, the harder it will be for he and Jose (Calderon with no "e") to co-exist at the point position I would think. I like Quincy, but seriously, if a rookie is your team leader, and it's someone other than, maybe Blake Griffin, you have problems. I dont think the Alpha Dog has to be your best player. The most over the top AD is Garnett and while he is a great player, he's not the standout best player on that squad, now, or in the past couple of years.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Alpha dog, by definition. Alpha barks, every other dog shuts up and listens. From last year, no one I could see filled that role. For the coming season, we will see.

Alpha dog walks up to you and stares in your face, you drop your eyes, or you bare your teeth and settle it. I don't see anyone yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Alpha dog, by definition. Alpha barks, every other dog shuts up and listens. From last year, no one I could see filled that role. For the coming season, we will see.

Alpha dog walks up to you and stares in your face, you drop your eyes, or you bare your teeth and settle it. I don't see anyone yet.
    Really? I can see Kyle Lowry develop into that role. Guys who have fit into that role in the past seasons are Reggie Evans, Jamaal Magloire. Lowry is already a proven leader on the court and off.

Quincy Acy seems like that kind of character as well, he did it on Baylor. I wouldn't expect him to do that here, being a rookie, but over time, he could be the locker room presence.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Enough said his are alpha dog!
    @Chr1st1anL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post

Enough said his are alpha dog!
    "That guy is gonna fight for you." Nothing says it better than that!

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of you guys are confused as to what an Alpha dog is. Does he have to be your best player? Not necessarily, but he better be damn close. He is the guy that the team will look to when they need a tough hoop and the guy who will put the team on his back through tough stretches.

Amir, Landry Fields, Jose, Ed and other role players are ridiculus suggestions. Not nearly enough talent to be respected as an Alpha dog.

There are only two real options - because this guy needs to command the respect of this teamates (not through hustle and grit, but through actual performance). Its Lowry or AB.

I think people's reactions are right .. even though AB may be our best player .. he probably too much of a shrinking violet to be an alpha dog. As much as he has had the most offensive skill on the team for the last few years, hes taken a shockingly low amount of final shots. While part of that might be on the coach, part of that is for sure on him for not demanding the ball, posting up down the stretch and saying give me the f'n ball, Im either scoring or getting fouled (which he has the talent to do).

So - Im hoping Lowry is the guy. Hes got the talent, and I think hes got the mindset to go with it.

The only other possibility is DD - but based on what Ive seen, I dont see that as likely (although its at least possible - unlike the guys mentioned above)

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I can see Lowry as the type of player that will get in a team mates face for continually missing defensive assignments. When that happens everyone will know he is the alpha dog. Similar to when Bosh chewed out Andrea all those years ago in the middle of a game.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

So true about Calderon trying to take on a alpha dog role with a pit bull like Lowry running the show.
    Not good for the chemistry.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information