No announcement yet.

Who is the Raptor's alpha dog ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of you guys are talking about a guy who is not necessarily a top player on the roster (like Reggie was), what about Amir? A guy that has chemistry with the group, hustles, plays defence, and works hard. Do you guys think he can be a alpha dog type? I see a lot of those leadership type qualities in him that I dont see in guys like ED and Demar. And let's say he does take over this role, and it becomes evident to Casey and BC that he is the alpha dog, would that mean ED is now the odd man out for PF? What do you guys think about having an alpha dog who is a likely trade asset?

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
      A lot of you guys are talking about a guy who is not necessarily a top player on the roster (like Reggie was), what about Amir? A guy that has chemistry with the group, hustles, plays defence, and works hard. Do you guys think he can be a alpha dog type? I see a lot of those leadership type qualities in him that I dont see in guys like ED and Demar. And let's say he does take over this role, and it becomes evident to Casey and BC that he is the alpha dog, would that mean ED is now the odd man out for PF? What do you guys think about having an alpha dog who is a likely trade asset?
      Not good in my opinion. We saw important role players in the league, all under pressure of being traded and the team was never.. Together, so to speak.

Having a leader that at some point is traded, means the team has no voice. That's why I feel it's got to be Lowry. Possibly our best player other than Bargnani, proven to be a leader, and sets the tone from both ends of the court.

Amir, Ed, Jose. These guys will be under some trade rumours and etc. I don't want to have a player being traded, whilst they have an important role on the team. Unless obviously the receiving assets are just as good.

I highly doubt Amir is the alpha dog though, because he's constantly got something twerkin' about in his body...
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

MyTEAM4Life wrote: View Post
        Fields is way to young and soft spoken to be the Alpha Dog, plus the fact that he wont put the team on his shoulders during any part of the game. Lowry however can get made take the ball and become the Alpha dog in the game, I cannot see Fields doing that or getting on anyone if they aren't competing as hard.
        I disagree. Being soft spoken doesn't necessarily mean that he can't be a good leader.

Like many have said. Lead BY example. Landry Fields is a gel player. Rebounds, defends, runs the play, and does the extras that don't show up on the stat sheet. Shane Battier has been the comparison quite a bit for Landry Fields.

Shane Battier has been one of the most highly commended players in the league, mostly because he leads by example on the court.

I said Lowry should be the alpha dog, but Fields can very well be the alpha dog. His character seems more fit as a leader in the locker room, and on the court. A guy that plays hard, and will converse with the different guys on the team. He's probably the most experienced young guy we have. If you look at the consensus starting lineup...

Lowry, Derozan, Fields, Bargnani, Valanciunas. Fields and Lowry are by far the most experience on that group.

Comment

Lowry is their alpha dog. Calderone tries and maybe Bargnani thinks he is the alpha dog because there was a rumor he is their best player.

Comment

Last year, Magloire. This year, Lowry... or ACY!!!

This thread needs a poll.
            TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
              I disagree. Being soft spoken doesn't necessarily mean that he can't be a good leader.

Like many have said. Lead BY example.
              Alright guys, let's get out there and do just like Landry boys!! Woooo
              DeMar you're shooting too well from the 3, we need you somewhere around the mid 20's like our leader.

Jose. JOSE!! what did I tell you about free throws, you close your eyes before you get to the line or else you're never gonna get down to 55% like Landry.

We're never gonna improve unless you guys learn to play like our alpha dog. At least his girlfriend is hot though right, that's worth absolutely nothing.

Comment

Jose was the most alpha out of the better players last year. Been here forever, seen all types come and go, seems to be a great teacher, willing to fight back (garnett). Consistantly plays the right way, even defensively last year.

Bargnani could very well be this guy if he plays at his 2nd tier superstar level. Saw his willingness to communicate well on D when he actually played last year. I think he still doesn't realize how good he is at his best, or has some other self-confidence issue, etc. Will he shed the "Enigma" tag?

Alpha by Committee may not be such a bad idea anyway...
                When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

Great Thread...this is probably going to be the biggest issue for us this year as we transition to a new group of players.

I am going to have to go with Lowry (handling the ball, barking out orders, etc.), but I wouldn't count out JV. He has charisma for a young guy and I think once he gets comfortable in English Speaking countries, he will be a good leader.

Comment

Edgar wrote: View Post
                    Jose was the most alpha out of the better players last year. Been here forever, seen all types come and go, seems to be a great teacher, willing to fight back (garnett). Consistantly plays the right way, even defensively last year.

Bargnani could very well be this guy if he plays at his 2nd tier superstar level. Saw his willingness to communicate well on D when he actually played last year. I think he still doesn't realize how good he is at his best, or has some other self-confidence issue, etc. Will he shed the "Enigma" tag?

Alpha by Committee may not be such a bad idea anyway...

Its worked so far!

Comment

The term 'alpha dog' is subjective to begin with. In my opinion the alpha dog is not just the leader but also the best player. And if the best player can't lead, the team has no alpha dog.

Hopefully Lowry ends up being the best player. He seems to have that leadership quality that I would like to see in a player.

I know one thing though, neither DeMar, Andrea or Jose would be given that title by me. Not big leaders, IMO.

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
                        Its worked so far!
                        Hmmm, not sure if a 23-win season should be labelled as "working"

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                          Alright guys, let's get out there and do just like Landry boys!! Woooo
                          DeMar you're shooting too well from the 3, we need you somewhere around the mid 20's like our leader.

Jose. JOSE!! what did I tell you about free throws, you close your eyes before you get to the line or else you're never gonna get down to 55% like Landry.

We're never gonna improve unless you guys learn to play like our alpha dog. At least his girlfriend is hot though right, that's worth absolutely nothing.
                          Tunnel vision.

Comment

this year i think it will be lowry 100% -- but past seasons, could make the argument that calderon was the alpha dog, he seemed to be one of the better leaders, actually trying to get guys going

Comment

I don't think the alpha dog is on the roster from last season. closest for me would be kleiza in attitude but, sadly, not game.

best hope for attitude and game is Lowry.

in the event he fails there will always be an alpha dog on the sideline in DC.

Comment

Jerryd Bayless.

Oh wait.. damn.

Comment

Working...
                                X