Inside the numbers by SI.com - Raptors tidbits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inside the numbers by SI.com - Raptors tidbits

Sports Illustrated's Zach Lowe has been reviewing data from a new multi-camera system that tracks every play and derives the patterns and results of it. The Raptors are one of the 10 teams that subscribed to this system, meaning all of their games featured the system tracking their players and actions.

Here are a few tidbits that touch on Raptor players. The full article link is below.

• Another number that backs that up: Jennings averaged just 4.8 drives per game last season (using the 20 feet/10 feet definition). Among point guards who started at least 30 games, only Jrue Holiday (4.6), Darren Collison (3.3), Jose Calderon (2.4) and Isaiah Thomas (4.4) averaged fewer drives per game. Again, lots of things — roster context, team/coach philosophy, individual skills — are at work for each of these guys. Jennings shot just 37 percent on shot attempts that came via these drives, one of the lowest numbers among 91 players with at least 30 recorded qualifying drives.

• The players most likely to shoot after touching the ball at the elbow: Kobe Bryant (57 percent of touches), Serge Ibaka (61 percent), Leandro Barbosa (!) 55 percent, DeMar DeRozan (!!) 58 percent, Monta Ellis (47 percent) and Mike Dunleavy Jr. (47 percent). Each of those guys touched the ball at the elbow fewer than three times per game, save for Kobe, who got it there a hair more than five times per game in the recorded sample. Ibaka touched the ball at the elbow just 1.16 times per game in 55 recorded games, meaning it’s clear he’s supposed to shoot when he receives it there, mostly in pick-and-pops. Bryant, DeRozan and Ibaka each shot around 41 percent on these attempts, placing near the bottom of the field-goal percentage rankings.

• The data confirms that there was not a lot of high-level passing on the wing last season in Toronto, one of the subscribing teams. Barbosa recorded an assist on just one percent of his 78 recorded drives last season in Indiana and Toronto, which means he literally recorded a single dime on all of those drives — the lowest percentage in the 91-player drive sample. DeRozan recorded assists on just three percent of his 121 recorded drives, one of the half-dozen lowest figures in the sample. They both ranked toward the very bottom of the assist chart on elbow touches. The Raptors have long been waiting for DeRozan, also extension-eligible now, to emerge as a more savvy creator. The data suggest they are still waiting.

Full Article here
    http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012...?sct=nba_wr_a1
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

I think this highlights one of the biggest flaws in DeRozan's game: once he gets the ball, he doesn't create for others. This is one of the reasons his shooting percentage is so bad: he doesn't know when to give the ball up, so he ends up taking shots that are closely contested or from just inside the 3 point line, or both.

With Barbosa, passing just was not part of his shtick. Too bad. But unlike DeRozan, Barbosa knew exactly what he wanted to do when he had the ball, and he usually managed to do it. He just wasn't quite efficient enough at it to be super useful. I really liked his super-high off the glass layups, even if they tended to miss.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
      Sports Illustrated's Zach Lowe has been reviewing data from a new multi-camera system that tracks every play and derives the patterns and results of it. The Raptors are one of the 10 teams that subscribed to this system, meaning all of their games featured the system tracking their players and actions....
      You've got to expect that the kind of information available to the Raptors will have a significant impact on how Casey prepares his team this year. And all of the data they now have on opposing teams (worth installing the cameras for this reason alone I would think) will give them a huge advantage over teams without it.

On the other hand, a lot of this stuff was already being recorded.

On the other hand, it sounds like the cameras and the software that goes with them can generate the info you want automatically, saving you a lot of transcribing of data from hand recorded stuff to whatever analysis software the teams have been using.

Comment

Wow I cant believe how bad DeMar is at creating for others. He's heading into a contract year and if he wants to get paid he has to show more facets of his game. Being a one dimensional player just wont cut it in the league anymore. I am really disappointed in him since he hasn't produced much thus far. I'm such a huge fan of his, and I'm really pulling for him this year. I'd love to see him sign another contract with the Raptors this year. He just needs to step up and prove people wrong this year.
        We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
          You've got to expect that the kind of information available to the Raptors will have a significant impact on how Casey prepares his team this year. And all of the data they now have on opposing teams (worth installing the cameras for this reason alone I would think) will give them a huge advantage over teams without it.

On the other hand, a lot of this stuff was already being recorded.

On the other hand, it sounds like the cameras and the software that goes with them can generate the info you want automatically, saving you a lot of transcribing of data from hand recorded stuff to whatever analysis software the teams have been using.
          I read somewhere in an article about this system that the data had to be shared league wide. Still the sample size for the teams that have installed these cameras will still give them an advantage.

Comment

These are the types of measures that a relatively wealthy team like Toronto needs to take advantage of, seeing as having the money isn't helping us free agent wise. The Raptors could definitely use a little more Darryl Morey in their approach, and hopefully this is a sign of that intent. Some of these things, such as the Calderon tidbit, need to be taken with a grain of salt as they mentioned but other info, such as the DeRozan data, points to something that could and should be addressed.

Comment

dunphyj wrote: View Post
              These are the types of measures that a relatively wealthy team like Toronto needs to take advantage of, seeing as having the money isn't helping us free agent wise. The Raptors could definitely use a little more Darryl Morey in their approach, and hopefully this is a sign of that intent. Some of these things, such as the Calderon tidbit, need to be taken with a grain of salt as they mentioned but other info, such as the DeRozan data, points to something that could and should be addressed.
              Daryl Morey? I think the jury's out on basketball's version of Billy Bean. He took a massive gamble on Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik. Lest we forget that Morey actually had a crack at Lin before he blew up big and had to get into a bidding war to secure his services. The whole idea of Moneyball is to use advanced analytics to find guys that are or will perform at a higher level than what the normal stats are showing and then lock those guys up at below market salaries relative to their production. He had a front row seat to see what Lin could do. I suppose he didn't trust his own eyes, first time around. That said, jury's out on Lin too.

Comment

I will admit that Morey's past 7 months have been pretty suspect. Asik was a bit out of left field, and possibly a colossal blunder. I think Morey gambled on attracting a big name through FA or trade (Gasol or Dwight), whereas Lin is there to sell tickets & jerseys. Seeing how we were able to nab Lowry for such a low price, I am curious as to whether McHale's gaining some power backstage. His trade for Motiejūnas may turn out to be a huge win if the early press is anywhere true. Throw in Lamb and Royce White, and Houston should at least be entertaining.

Comment

dunphyj wrote: View Post
                  Some of these things, such as the Calderon tidbit, need to be taken with a grain of salt as they mentioned but other info, such as the DeRozan data, points to something that could and should be addressed.
                  why does jose get a free pass but not demar? jose has the ball more than anyone on the team. shouldn't he be driving more, especially when he hits at 90% at the line.

18/4/2.5 is what i would like from demar this year. if he could throw in a steal a game i would be ecstatic.

Comment

malefax wrote: View Post
                    I think this highlights one of the biggest flaws in DeRozan's game: once he gets the ball, he doesn't create for others. This is one of the reasons his shooting percentage is so bad: he doesn't know when to give the ball up, so he ends up taking shots that are closely contested or from just inside the 3 point line, or both.

With Barbosa, passing just was not part of his shtick. Too bad. But unlike DeRozan, Barbosa knew exactly what he wanted to do when he had the ball, and he usually managed to do it. He just wasn't quite efficient enough at it to be super useful. I really liked his super-high off the glass layups, even if they tended to miss.
                    +1

Could you imagine if DD could pass? Unfortunately, T-Ross has the same problem, so hopefully one of them will get better at it. It changes the whole makeup of how the offense runs when you have some decent wing passing

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
                      +1

Could you imagine if DD could pass? Unfortunately, T-Ross has the same problem, so hopefully one of them will get better at it. It changes the whole makeup of how the offense runs when you have some decent wing passing
                      Well, let's be honest here now. Talk dynamics all you want, but who was Demar going to kick out too? James Johnson for 3? Yeah right.

It's a surprising number, but Demar is a scorer, he just needs better shot selection, and when he takes those shots, I expect him to take contact and try to finish, not float away. Now that the team around him is better suited for outside shooting, we could see Demar try to make those passes.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                        Well, let's be honest here now. Talk dynamics all you want, but who was Demar going to kick out too? James Johnson for 3? Yeah right.
                        You've got to know when to hold 'em,
                        know when to fold 'em,
                        know when to fade-away,
                        know when to dunk,

you never count your money,
                        when you're sitting on the bench,
                        keep working hard in practice,
                        'till your career is done.

In all seriousness, I'd like to see a couple of those drives end in kick outs to the PG for trey or a back-door cutting big man (Amir lob city V2.0??!!)
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Now that I've thought about it. Its not like DeMar Had anyone to pass to last season, that could consistently knock down shots. Bargnani was hurt most of the year so it put a lot of pressure on DeMar to carry the team. In this case I'm sure its not as bad as it looks. Next year should be a different story.
                          We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                            You've got to know when to hold 'em,
                            know when to fold 'em,
                            know when to fade-away,
                            know when to dunk,
                            22 year old athletic jumpers like demar only need to know when to go to the hole. fades are for grown men. should be hard to the rack followed by hard to the rack followed by hard to the rack

Comment

Working...
                            X