Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who are the greatest players by position in Raptor's history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    **looking at that orlando roster, i had no idea drew gooden was in the league that long. i thought 5 years tops. first i remember of him he was in cleveland**
    I used to really like Gooden actually. Then he started making appearances on EVERY roster in the league except for ours. Haha
    He was traded as a rookie from Memphis I believe, after they selected him 4th, to Orlando for Rookie Mike Miller.

He actually had a VERY solid Sophomore campaign as well, with averages of 14pts and 8.5 rebounds.

Comment

Cool article from SI.com regarding Reggies induction into the Hall of Fame, and comparing him with other SGs in history.
      Relevant, because he discusses Tracy and Vince as potential Hall inductees. Or potentially missing out as well.

Vince Carter: I’ve speculated at length on whether Carter will be the highest scoring player left out of the Hall, since his occasionally shaky postseason play and inglorious exit from Toronto justifiably mar his case. At his peak, Carter was a better player than Miller, but Miller’s postseason heroics, consistency and general work ethic/loyalty probably outweigh Carter’s superior statistical heights.

Tracy McGrady: As is the case with his cousin, Carter, there will always be a subset of fans that question McGrady’s Hall-worthiness — and with reason. He never won a postseason series as an active player (the Rockets advanced to the second round in 2009 while he was on the injured list) despite a premature boast during the 2003 playoffs, though it’s hard to look at his postseason history and find a series in which his team clearly should have won. His coach and GM in Houston openly questioned his work ethic (something McGrady has done himself), and he had a relatively brief eight-season prime, with a mini four-season super-prime squeezed in there. He also brings the same positional issues as George Gervin, having played a lot of small forward, especially early in his career.

But, holy cow, was McGrady’s peak high. He was and is an ingenious passer, and that all-around ability propelled him in 2002-03 to one of only 16 30-plus PER seasons in league history. Again, McGrady was clearly a better player than Miller when both were in their respective peaks, but the other stuff — postseason success, work ethic issues, etc. — probably gives Miller the career edge.
      McGrady’s apex was incredible, peaking with a 2002-03 season that ranks among the best in the sport’s history. At top form, McGrady shot 45 percent, hit an above-average percentage from three-point range, sported perhaps the best wing passing skills in the pre-LeBron James era and even bought in on defense — most famously in the 2005 playoffs, when McGrady guarded Dirk Nowitzki effectively as a depleted Rockets team pushed the Mavericks to seven games in a losing effort. But his career is littered with ugly stuff: the departures from Toronto and Orlando, announcing his intention to undergo microfracture surgery in 2009 before even telling the Rockets, laughing on the bench as Detroit mutinied against coach John Kuester, etc.

Will all of that, plus his relatively early fall from elite status, keep him out of Springfield? He’ll probably end up with close to 19,000 points, seven All-Star appearances and zero postseason series wins.
      Source

Having two Potential Hall-of-Famers on our All-Time team, is NOT all that bad.
      And when its all said and done, Bosh might be in the same boat as Vince and TMac.

Just too bad none of them stuck around ... :S
      Last edited by Joey; Sat Sep 8, 2012, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
        lebron has 6 of those. don't mash his accolades with wades. they are two seperate players and i would take tmac over wade everyday of the week.

thabeet to protect the rim?

after miami and la our team is clearly in the debate for top 3 and definately in top 5.

your not killing anyones boner, you are showing yourself to be a hater for attention.

damon was a conference champion and leader on a very good team in portland until they became the jailblazers. in thier primes i might choose tmac over durant. tmac was unreal good. he was the best player to ever come out of our system.

your argument against vince is that he is a loser, and i agree with that. but before he was a quitter he was the hottest fastest rising superstar in the league. when the topic says primes, we are not talking about careers. we are talking about the best seasons they had in the nba. so i will post them for you as the players i see as our best.

pg. damon
        http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/817/damon-stoudamire
        96/97 20pts 8.8ast and 4 rbs 1.5 stls

sg. vince
        04/05 27 pts 6 rbs 4.5 asts

sf. tmac
        02/03 32 pts 6.5 rbs 5.5 asts 1.7 stls almost a block a game

pf. bosh
        09/10 24 pts 10 rbs 2.5 asts 1 blk

c. davis
        00/01 13.5 pts 10.1 rbs 1.9 blks

as much as you call people homers you are as big a hater. that is a great team right there and you are backing yourself into a corner that will only result in you insulting people to defend your viewpoint as it is beyond opinion.
        Also if we're talking about best names to ever play in toronto regardless of how they played when here Hakeem Olajuwon at center in his prime would be much better than Davis lol.
        If it was stoudamire,vince,tmac,bosh,olajuwon all in their prime, no team right now could beat that.

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
          Also if we're talking about best names to ever play in toronto regardless of how they played when here Hakeem Olajuwon at center in his prime would be much better than Davis lol.
          If it was stoudamire,vince,tmac,bosh,olajuwon all in their prime, no team right now could beat that.
          I'm down with that. +1

Kobe himself said that it Tmac and Vince had stayed together it was NBA championship time for Toronto.

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
            Honorable mention goes to Camby, Rose, Billups, Willis, Stojakovic, O'Neil, and Marion (in their respective primes).

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              Honorable mention goes to Camby, Rose, Billups, Willis, Stojakovic, O'Neil, and Marion (in their respective primes).
              I'd take Billups (in his prime) over Stoudamire (in his prime).

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                Can't argue with that.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                  I'd prefer rose in his prime IMO. A couple good 20,5,5 years.

Comment

Working...
                  X