Greatest NBA Player Ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    doesn't need to be argued. lets make it a hypothetical...you have the first pick of the all nba draft, every single player to ever play in the nba is there. who would you choose? anyone here not taking jordan first overall?
    I'm not. I'm taking Shaq.

While Jordan may well be the best player ever, I think Shaq is the most dominant player ever.

I fully believe the level of disparity between Shaq and the next 'best' C is greater than between any other player and the next 'best' at their respective position.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post

While Jordan may well be the best player ever, I think Shaq is the most dominant player ever.

I fully believe the level of disparity between Shaq and the next 'best' C is greater than between any other player and the next 'best' at their respective position.
      Except when Shaq played against Hakeem... Hakeem owned Shaq in the NBA finals that one year. You just need a mobile/quick center with great post-moves and Shaq would be helpless.

Comment

While I prefer Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell to Shaq, I would give Shaq at least as much consideration as MJ for the third pick overall.

I perused a book of the 100 greatest basketball players earlier this Summer and they had Shaq at #1. While I don't agree with the ranking, I believe there is no clear cut best player and that Shaq would be in the conversation.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
          Except when Shaq played against Hakeem... Hakeem owned Shaq in the NBA finals that one year. You just need a mobile/quick center with great post-moves and Shaq would be helpless.

Shaq - 28 pts on 60% shooting, 12.5 Rbs, 6.25 assists, 2.25 blocks, 0.25 steals, 5.25 TO

Hakeem - 32.5 pts on 48% shooting, 11.5 Rbs, 5.5 assists, 2.75 blocks, 2 steals, 4.5 TO

We need to also consider Shaq was in his 2nd year in the NBA, first time in the finals. Hakeem had 11 years experience at that point in time and in his 3rd finals apperance.

I don't think that even remotely indicates that Shaq was 'owned' in that series. Moreso a 'mobile/quick center with great post-moves would leave Shaq helpless' is hardly a statement that held true his career.

Comment

perhaps because for 80% of his career there were no highly skilled, mobile, athletic big men in the league? Just sayin.

Shaq could of been greater than he was had he been challenged in his career. As it was he was playing against old men and guys who could barely walk and chew gum at the same time so all he did was use his power game. If you watch a young Shaq however you see a highly skilled big man coupled with unmatched power. It's a crying shame he never had to develop his game though. He could have, he was intelligent and dexterous enough. Just never had to. Yao was the first big man since Keem to really ever make him work and Shaq loved him for it.
            LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              Hakeem is my 2nd favorite center of all-time, right behind Kareem. Having said that, I say David Robinson was at least as good if not a tiny bit better than Hakeem and that Shaq was better than both.

I would rank Kareem at least on par with The Admiral but below Shaquille O'Neil.

Comment

i think shaq is the best center ever. in the next group i put robinson/kareem/hakeem/ewing. my viewpoint on the stilt is that once the rules got changed to make it fairer his stats came down to earth so its hard to measure him. i look at it as an overpowering wow type stat/ where developers have to change it up to even it for everyone.

Comment

I say Jordan solely for the reason that he dominated, won three championships in a row. Quit. Then cameback and didn't miss a beat winning another 3 championships in a row.
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Shaq - 28 pts on 60% shooting, 12.5 Rbs, 6.25 assists, 2.25 blocks, 0.25 steals, 5.25 TO

Hakeem - 32.5 pts on 48% shooting, 11.5 Rbs, 5.5 assists, 2.75 blocks, 2 steals, 4.5 TO

We need to also consider Shaq was in his 2nd year in the NBA, first time in the finals. Hakeem had 11 years experience at that point in time and in his 3rd finals apperance.

I don't think that even remotely indicates that Shaq was 'owned' in that series. Moreso a 'mobile/quick center with great post-moves would leave Shaq helpless' is hardly a statement that held true his career.
                    Damn, why did you have to bring up stats

Okay you got me.. my statement was an observation from watching that series and being impressed by Hakeem. I would still choose Hakeem over Shaq as his post moves were so much fun for a big man to watch.

But ultimately I pick Jordan.. mostly because he's the reason I started watching basketball (which is very subjective, I know). The guy dominated, especially in the finals. He just wouldn't lose. A big time ass-hole, but still a pleasure to watch.

Comment

Working...
                    X