USA Today Article on Bosh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Today Article on Bosh

Here's a good story on CB4. Looks like his play this season and the fact that the Raptors are winning games and making some noise is getting him some legitimate press down south.

"I don't crave the limelight at all," says Bosh, going to his fifth All-Star Game in a row. "I just crave winning basketball games."
    Not a bad article, it talks a bit about Chris the person too.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baske...ght-time_N.htm

To stay with the Raptors, who haven't won a playoff series since 2001, Bosh says: "I want to win and be surrounded by guys who want to win and who work hard. That's all it is. … The best teams do both."
    Bosh has repeated over and over again that his decision will be about winning, during the regular season, but especially in the playoffs. His decision to re-sign or not will be dependent on (1) what seed the team finishes the season, and (2) how the team performs in the playoffs.

On thing BC has succeeded in doing this season is putting together a group of players who are all good people and who all want the team to win, as oppossed to padding their own stats.
    Last edited by James Ballswin (Realizar); Fri Jan 29, 2010, 11:05 AM.
    RR OG

Comment

Good article. Nice find JibbaJabba.

Like Realizer said, Bosh has stated several times that he wants to win. He will resign if the Raps are successful this season. Simple as that.

So CB likes Twilight huh...

Comment

.40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post
        So CB likes Twilight huh...
        It said that CB's read all 4 books in the series, which means that he LOVES Twilight! LOL!
        RR OG

Comment

While I am inclined to believe Bosh when he says he only craves winning basketball games, I am also somewhat skeptical after years of hearing that cliche, only to see players flock to the highest bidder. Oh wait, we are the highest bidder.

Is there any chance that Bosh might resign mid season? If he is going to re-sign on the basis of the teams ability to win games against quality opponents, I think the raps have proved themselves more than capable. If he truly cares about winning, wouldn't signing a contract go a long ways towards resolving potential chemistry issues. You only have to look to Phoenix to see how the Amare situation is tearing that team apart.

A contract extension would signify his belief in the team and would shift the focus from his impending free agency/trade chatter to how the Raptors are playing their best ball in franchise history in an Eastern Conference dominated by old dogs on thier last legs.

As unlikely as it is, it would signify a maturation of somewhat for Bosh, putting the team ahead of his own interests. I can already envision the headlines if the raps hit a mini slide in February "Trade deadline chatter disrupting clubhouse "

All I know is the next two weeks are going to be unparalleled in Raptor history towards fear mongering and paranoia amongst the raps faithful. It's going to be a bumpy ride and I can scarcely imagine how much bumpier were we not semi-comfortably perched in the 5th seed.

Comment

The $64K question: Will Bosh have a better chance of winning an NBA title in the next 6-7 years with the Raptors or with another team?

It's as simple as that.
            RR OG

Comment

mo-sales wrote: View Post
              While I am inclined to believe Bosh when he says he only craves winning basketball games, I am also somewhat skeptical after years of hearing that cliche, only to see players flock to the highest bidder. Oh wait, we are the highest bidder.

Is there any chance that Bosh might resign mid season? If he is going to re-sign on the basis of the teams ability to win games against quality opponents, I think the raps have proved themselves more than capable. If he truly cares about winning, wouldn't signing a contract go a long ways towards resolving potential chemistry issues. You only have to look to Phoenix to see how the Amare situation is tearing that team apart.

A contract extension would signify his belief in the team and would shift the focus from his impending free agency/trade chatter to how the Raptors are playing their best ball in franchise history in an Eastern Conference dominated by old dogs on thier last legs.

As unlikely as it is, it would signify a maturation of somewhat for Bosh, putting the team ahead of his own interests. I can already envision the headlines if the raps hit a mini slide in February "Trade deadline chatter disrupting clubhouse "

All I know is the next two weeks are going to be unparalleled in Raptor history towards fear mongering and paranoia amongst the raps faithful. It's going to be a bumpy ride and I can scarcely imagine how much bumpier were we not semi-comfortably perched in the 5th seed.
              But that is just silly. He wants the 6 year max contract, and cannot sign it until the offseason. I think the most he can this year is a 3 year extension.

At any rate, you are putting all the onus on Bosh to demonstrate that he wants to win. Both sides must demonstrate this. In particular, hard decisions will need to be made about going deep into the luxury tax, and who stays on the team. If MLSE is unwilling or unable to make these difficult (and expensive!) decisions, then staying longterm with the Raptors would be foolish for him.

Saying you want to win, but stay under the tax is pretty much meaningless.

Comment

Yea your defiantly right. A 3 year extension is not ideal for Bosh and really only benefits the brass. Especially with the CBA expiring after 2010 and all the cards in Sterns pocket. Who knows if he is going to leverage the cap going down with the reduction of max contracts or even eliminating guaranteed contracts ala the NFL.

I was being idealistic as opposed to realistic.

Its also incredibly hard for Colangelo to try and improve the team at the deadline if he doesn't know what his franchise player is doing. Miami is the same boat and it really handcuffs the organizations ability and willingness to commit long term to a team that might not exist next year.

Comment

Well, here is what the Celtics have been spending:
                  http://hoopshype.com/salaries/boston.htm
                  Magic:
                  http://hoopshype.com/salaries/orlando.htm
                  And the Raptors:
                  http://hoopshype.com/salaries/toronto.htm

The Raptors are one of the wealthiest franchises in the league. If they can make a comittment to spend like 80-90 mil a year, I think you can put together a Finals team.
                  I think our big three positions (SF,PF,C) are filled.

Comment

.40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post
                    Like Realizer said, Bosh has stated several times that he wants to win. He will resign if the Raps are successful this season. Simple as that.
                    Well here is the million dollars question: What is considered a successful season?!

So far this 2009-2010 squad is not a whole lot different then the 2006-2007 squad or 2007-2008 squad which is most likely to get 42 to 45 wins and a likelyhood of a first round exit. If the team stays pretty much the same in 4 seasons (minus last season which was horrible) then does that constitute progress or success??

Comment

James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post
                      The $64K question: Will Bosh have a better chance of winning an NBA title in the next 6-7 years with the Raptors or with another team?

It's as simple as that.
                      I suppose there is a crystal ball out there that provides these answers?

It's All About The Money!

This isn't a game to these guys - it's their life!
                      The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Working...
                      X