The Trade Deadline Package

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Trade Deadline Package

Don't look for links to 'sources' or even rumour stories on this ... i'm just posing some food for thought.

In looking for that final piece (A SF upgrade), what kind of a fantastic package could we have to offer at the Trade Deadline?

-Landry Fields and TRoss could likely make Demar expendable.
    -The $10M in expiring dough on Jose's deal, at an often weak position in the NBA, will have suitors.
    -No secret that we have too many PF's. Amir adds a slightly more veteran presence which may drop Ed.

If Demar and Ed are playing well - a package of Demar, Jose & Ed could land a seriously skilled player AND still leave us with the future starters at 4 positions and some depth.

Lowry/Lucas
    Fields/Ross
    ???/Kleiza
    Bargnani/Amir
    Jonas/Gray

Who would you put in the 'SF' spot?
    Luol Deng
    12.50%
    Rudy Gay
    50.00%
    Danny Granger
    0.00%
    Josh Smith
    18.75%
    Wilson Chandler
    6.25%
    Danilo Galinari
    12.50%
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Can I have an option for "Keep"?
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

I can't envision Smith playing SF, so I voted for Rudy.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
        Don't look for links to 'sources' or even rumour stories on this ... i'm just posing some food for thought.

In looking for that final piece (A SF upgrade), what kind of a fantastic package could we have to offer at the Trade Deadline?

-Landry Fields and TRoss could likely make Demar expendable.
        -The $10M in expiring dough on Jose's deal, at an often weak position in the NBA, will have suitors.
        -No secret that we have too many PF's. Amir adds a slightly more veteran presence which may drop Ed.

If Demar and Ed are playing well - a package of Demar, Jose & Ed could land a seriously skilled player AND still leave us with the future starters at 4 positions and some depth.

Lowry/Lucas
        Fields/Ross
        ???/Kleiza
        Bargnani/Amir
        Jonas/Gray

Who would you put in the 'SF' spot?
        Nice to see that someone is actually acknolwedging the type of package it might take to get one of these players as opposed to the tyipcal "jose for [insert borderline all star SF]". I would vote for Gay - in part because I think its the one of these deals that is the most likely to happen (but also cause I think hes a good fit).

For those unwilling to trade DD / Ed - you need to think for a minute. A) we will have to resign DD - it wont be for max money .. but I bet he gets close to $10 mm/year. B) What has Ed really shown for us that we cant get from Amir / JV?

If we had a chance to upgrade in this kind of deal - Id be all over it. (Id be more all over it if we coudl dump Amir's salary and keep Ed .. but thats another story)

Comment

I don't think we could get Gay for this package.. Cleveland could offer something better.
          I would prefer Gay, but realistically I think this could net us Galinari and possibly a first rounder if we included a second rounder.

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
            Nice to see that someone is actually acknolwedging the type of package it might take to get one of these players as opposed to the tyipcal "jose for [insert borderline all star SF]". I would vote for Gay - in part because I think its the one of these deals that is the most likely to happen (but also cause I think hes a good fit).

For those unwilling to trade DD / Ed - you need to think for a minute. A) we will have to resign DD - it wont be for max money .. but I bet he gets close to $10 mm/year. B) What has Ed really shown for us that we cant get from Amir / JV?

If we had a chance to upgrade in this kind of deal - Id be all over it. (Id be more all over it if we could dump Amir's salary and keep Ed .. but thats another story)

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=8gm3olr

I wouldn't mind seeing Gallinari here to be honest and as you said DD is going to cost us some big money next year , money I would rather see spent on stealing Harden, George from Indy or even Mayo and thats if Ross still needs time to get adjusted.

This trade clears up the logjam for Denver at SF and gives them 2 serviceable young bigs at PF , Houston moves Martin and in turn gets a backup PG and a possible upgrade at SG for the future as well as a back up Big for ASIK.

We get a solid SF locked up for 4 years and will clear up some cap space and leaves no doubt whos team it is to run in Lowry's eyes.

This years lineup would look like below with us having about 16m in cap space to go after free agents next summer Can you imagine a Harden / Lowry backcourt on defense!!!!

Lowry / Douglas / Lucas
            Martin / Ross / Anderson
            Gallinari / Fields / Kleiza
            Bargnani / Davis / Acy
            Valancuinas / Gray / ??
            Last edited by GoHuskies; Thu Sep 6, 2012, 02:57 PM.

Comment

My #1 choice would be Rudy Gay.

I like Gallinari as well, but don't think Denver has any desire to trade him, especially not for that package of players.

IMO, none of the other players are worth giving up all those assets for, due to a combination of age, salary, injury prone-ness and relative upgrade over DeRozan.

I also think that Cleveland would offer stiff competition, should they be interested in any of the same players, assuming the player(s) are actually made available. I think there might have to be at least a 2nd team brought into and trade scenario, such as a veteran team that actually wants Calderon for playoff depth, while giving up another player and/or pick to the other team. Davis is a decent asset, especially if he takes a significant step forward this season, but Memphis (Gay) already has Randolph and Arthur at PF (and Speights can play some PF too), so I really don't see anybody but DeRozan interesting them, hence the need for another team or teams to get involved.

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post

For those unwilling to trade DD / Ed - you need to think for a minute. A) we will have to resign DD - it wont be for max money .. but I bet he gets close to $10 mm/year.
                Ok...wait, what? So you think resigning Demar for about 10 mill a year is too expensive, but you want to get Rudy Gay and his max contract that has 3 years including this one??? Why do people love Rudy Gay so much? He's just turned 26, hasn't averaged 20 points since his 2nd season, shoots average %s and is not an elite defender or rebounder considering his size and athleticism. Gay's favorite shot is the long jumper, and he can go long stretches where he does little else. I think that Gay's contract is one of the worst in the league, for a guy with no real injury history.

I wanted to vote for nobody. I don't think I'm overvaluing our players, but none of those guys are worth that deal. Maybe if Ross explodes as an obvious future star (?!). Then I'd trade for Granger or Deng who are both good defensive players, have smaller and shorter deals, and who I think are both tougher than Gay. I voted Deng because he's a bit younger, and his injury history is less alarming.
                Oh, I would also, maybe just maybe, consider getting Chandler straight up for Demar and Ed if it looks like Ross'll be good and Demar will command more than 10ish or so on the market.
                Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Sep 6, 2012, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Josh is the only one of that list that I would gamble such a load for. He's a sure thing but the rest might fizzle once in Toronto like so many have done before. Perhaps he doesn't really make sense as a shooting forward option, but when you think about it the Raps could be pretty scary as a huge, dunking, fast-breaking team once you insert him into the line-up at RF and get rid of Calderone for ever. Both first-string and second-string lineups would be dangerously big and fast. Add Quincy Acy into the picture and it's is even more fun to imagine. Probably not a contender, but the highlights would be nice and it might make the playoffs.

Comment

Why do we keep pretending we can get an all-star caliber player for Demar, Ed and 2 months of Jose Calderon's contract?

I would love to see Gay, Chandler, Gallo, etc in Raps Red, but Bargs, Big Val and KL3 are really the only decent trade chips on our roster and we want to keep those guys.

Just imagine Rudy Gay was already on the Raps... would you trade him for an athletic 2-guard that can't shoot, an offensively-handicapped young big that routinely gets lost on D, 2 months worth of a borderline top 25 PG and 7 or 10 Mil in cap relief? No, none of us would do that.

Comment

NoBan wrote: View Post
                      Why do we keep pretending we can get an all-star caliber player for Demar, Ed and 2 months of Jose Calderon's contract?

I would love to see Gay, Chandler, Gallo, etc in Raps Red, but Bargs, Big Val and KL3 are really the only decent trade chips on our roster and we want to keep those guys.

Just imagine Rudy Gay was already on the Raps... would you trade him for an athletic 2-guard that can't shoot, an offensively-handicapped young big that routinely gets lost on D, 2 months worth of a borderline top 25 PG and 7 or 10 Mil in cap relief? No, none of us would do that.

You are thinking strictly basketball. In those terms I 100% agree with you.

But basketball is a business. Gay also has a price tag of over $51M over the next 3 years.

I think it is a moot point because if he was available Cleveland and Houston could make offers that blow Toronto out of the water.

Comment

NoBan wrote: View Post

Take a look at what Atlanta got for Joe Johnson. The Raps offer would be much better than that for Gay. But yes, I agree with Matt - Cleveland and Houston could offer much better packages if they were interested in him.

Comment

As for the poll.. my hope is Gay (but the hope is dying).. the next best option for me would be Deng. I want nothing to do with Galinari. Chandler becomes moot with Fields.

I voted Deng since that trade would appear to be practical. Chicago could use a backup PG, a starting SG and a quality backup big. Chicago is also cheap so they may like Jose's expiring contract.

Also if I recall Bryan drafted Deng.. so there is a connection there as well.

Comment

just to be a smartass im going to say trade whatever the hell it takes not this trade deadline but the next one and draft andrew wiggins instead

Comment

went dano. like him more than gay. i also think he allows us to trade jose in another deadline deal because i don't think denver needs/wants jose.

Comment

Working...
                              X