X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors send training camp invite to Jamaal Magloire

Hopefully he accepts.
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

It would only help JV's development if he's battling 2 bruisers like Gray and Magloire everyday in practice.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      It would only help JV's development if he's battling 2 bruisers like Gray and Magloire everyday in practice.
      This is exactly what I was thinking. Even if Big Cat doesn't see a single minute all season, I'd love to see him as part of the Roster.

Comment

Book the championship parade route now!

Seriously though, I would rather him as a big man coach than as someone taking up some cap space.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I guess the Raptors are now in "rounding up the roster" mode rather than "acquiring players to possibly send through trade" mode.

Not sure how much cap space they have left, but if theyre pretty much convinced that the rotation is set, then i'm all for acquiring Magloire. But if theyre still thinking of trading Jose, then a young player would probably have been better for this last roster spot.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post

Seriously though, I would rather him as a big man coach than as someone taking up some cap space.
            Thats what i was thinking of as well. Gray can definitely provide the physicality that Magloire can bring if they just want to give JV a bruiser to practice with, but if they really want him to learn from a vet, id rather they get hakeem or KAJ as a trainer

Comment

I wouldn't read too much into this. It's a "camp invite", not a contract, with no guarantees, in his home town. Big Cat also attended the Canadian team camp, with zero possibility that he'll be playing for the team at the Worlds or Olympics. Word is he was very willing because it gave him the chance to work out with high level players and work on being in shape for the hope of collecting more NBA paydays. The Raptors could just be doing him a favour in giving him the same opportunity, while doing themselves a favour in having a legit big body for both JV and Gray to bang with during training camp. You never know what will happen during all teams' training camps. A big goes down (maybe even Gray or JV for the Raps) for any team and suddenly a guy who's been working an NBA training camp looks more attractive than someone sitting on their couch.

Comment

This is hardly news...but it blows the Joey Graham thread out of the water. Jamaal Magloire, ALL STAR 2013.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post

There is no cap space to take up.

The Raptors are at the salary cap with no exceptions to offer.

The only thing they can offer is a minimum contract.

Now, if they extend an offer to include 13-14 then, yes, that is using cap space.... but somehow I don't think that will be a concern.

Comment

It's an invite. So will they invite anyone else? If he's the lone invitee and he's in decent basketball shape then he has a very good shot at the spot. We don't need anymore unproven youth.

Comment

Not exactly news, but then again it is that time of year. Even if he doesn't make the team, chances are he could be involved with the team in another capacity (assuming that no one else signs him). There are probably a few players worth inviting to camp, but they definitely need some veteran presence.
                      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Not saying that these guys would accepts and invite or a minimum deal, but here are a few guys not under contract *(could already have camp invites, but I know they don't have deals)* worth kicking the tires on:

Lou Amundson - was a fan fav in Indiana because he is a work-horse. Plays hard nosed defence, Casey would love this guy.
                        Chris "Birdman" Anderson - another defensive big to help challenge Bargnani and Jonas in practice
                        Brian Cardinal - another of those hard working glue guys. Casey likes them blue collar, and it doesn't get much more blue collar than this guy
                        Jonny Flynn - still young (23), so perhaps the career isn't completely off the rails. Would be good to know where he is at in case the team deals Jose and needs to bring someone in.
                        Anthony Parker - one my fav Raptors. Plays the game the right way. Would be a good mentor for some of the young guys and probably wouldn't complain about never seeing the court.
                        Michael Redd - looks like he is done, but a great outside shooter who could help Ross a bit. Even if he is done could add value as a mentor.
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Lets be real!!!

Lets be real people jamaal should just give it up he's nothing but a waste of space.
                          There are plenty of big men out in the vast basketball world that would be better option.
                          Here's a new name for jamaal......"retirement" get use to it pal.

Comment

kdel wrote: View Post
                            Lets be real people jamaal should just give it up he's nothing but a waste of space.
                            There are plenty of big men out in the vast basketball world that would be better option.
                            Let's be real. Jamaal Magloire was an important guy in the locker room and on the bench to the younger players. He put them in their place.
                            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

kdel wrote: View Post
                              You seem to be assuming that a 15th man would actually see the floor.

Magloire's presence in the locker room would be more valuable to a young team, than any D-League 10-day contract trying to earn a full-time gig.

Comment

Working...
                              X