Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sheridanhoops review of the Raptors offseason

Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sheridanhoops review of the Raptors offseason

I personally think if you don't want to have a headache from too much stupidity in one article, then don't read this. But that's my personal opinion.

TORONTO RAPTORS – Landry Fields is a nice player and a nice kid. But he is not worth $20 million – nor a fraction thereof. Easily the worst off-season signing in the NBA – even worse than the Suns giving Michael Beasley $18 million over three years. Big V (aka Jonas Valanciunas) may one day blossom into a very good NBA center. Right now he will lead the league in fouls per minute unless challenged by Kravtzov. DeMar DeRozan will be playing for his next contract. Jose Calderon is one spin cycle away from being washed up. Andrea Bargnani is their best player, and there ain’t a whole lot around him. Also, as bad as the Fields signing was, maybe an even worse move for the long-term was giving away this year’s lottery pick (unless it is Top 3) to Houston for Kyle Lowry. Calderon probably makes Top 3 on the Most Likely to be Traded List. As bad as they will be, they will be more entertaining to watch than both Charlotte and Detroit.

Grade: D-
    http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/08...-cards-part-v/
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

lol, very little substance in that "analysis". Bleacher Report-esque.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not exactly a well-thought out and reasoned article. Have they even seen a Raptors game before? They certainly don't seem to know very much about the team.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

"Sheridanhoops review of the Raptors offseason" grade F.

Post Thanks / Like

He hit some correct points but it's almost as though he simply Googled the Raptors, wrote a couple quick notes and then wrote this. He did absolutely no analysis of the team really and I would be amazed if he could name three Raptors not mentioned here.

Post Thanks / Like

Some things drive me nuts, Landry is signed for less than 19 mil total, but somehow is is always a 20 million deal reported...now I do think we over paid a bit, but at least report it honestly. The other thing is we did not give up a lottery pick for Lowry, it has not played out yet...I don't get it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    Some things drive me nuts, Landry is signed for less than 19 mil total, but somehow is is always a 20 million deal reported...now I do think we over paid a bit, but at least report it honestly. The other thing is we did not give up a lottery pick for Lowry, it has not played out yet...I don't get it.
    Not only that but, regardless when/what pick the Raptors do eventually giveup to Houston, the article didn't seem to include any on-court analysis/benefit of the Lowry acquisition. Who cares what we gave up, I want an assessment of what he will mean to the 2012-13 Raptors team on the court and in the win column. Same goes for Fields - who cares what we paid for Fields, since the team still has loads of financial flexibility going forward; what will he mean to the team?

And as a domino effect, what will the additions of Valanciunas and Lowry mean for the 2nd unit, as their addition is bumping starters to the bench (Gray/Amir and Calderon - JJ was traded, so Fields can't be considered in this train of thought). Not only is the starting unit improved at 3 positions (4 if Bargnani stays healthy all season), but the bench is deep and skilled, which should give them a big advantage.

Too many "experts" take a cursory glance at the Raptors' offseason headlines and don't actually give it much thought. These types of analyses are about as deep as a puddle.

Post Thanks / Like

chris sheridan is a notorious buffoon
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like he was just trying to find as many ways as possible to roast on the Raptors. He's just talking about about the Fields contract, Jonas' foul trouble, and the fact that we gave up a 1st round pick, but he's completely ignoring the fact that those 3 additions will actually improve our team!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Every article I have read on that website has been bullshit. It's amazing. Chris Bernucca makes multiple factual mistakes in every column, and Sheridan seems to write his stuff in 15 minutes based on stuff he learned off twitter.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

This was probably the worst piece of sports writing my eyes have ever be forced to read. All he did was list 3 bad qualities of the offseason, even though our pick next year will be in the 7-15 range for sure. No where does it mention how lowry will bolster the defence or how Val will be on the bench with calderon creating a very strong bench for toronto. I like these articles though because it shows that the raptors need to play well and shut these critics up and i can't wait till it happens this year.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

fields is much worse then the asik contract :S
    beasley at 6 mil per year isnt bad at all
    the only thing he got right was that demar is playing for a new contract

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

These reviews are pretty funny. In the end its just a blogger writing what he wants because he needs to enter his daily quota. But it's really just one man's opinion. A team that has missed the playoffs for 4 seasons and still has no franchise altering talent is usually always going to get poor grades from the masses.

The funniest thing out of everything he wrote was that he considered Fields' contract the worst signing. This was the same off season where Brook Lopez got a max contract.

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    ... This was the same off season where Brook Lopez got a max contract.
    Every time I read about that it makes me puke in my mouth a lil bit. Brook Freakin Lopez. MAX. yeesh. Dude is injury prone (bad feet/ankles in a centre? That's only going to get worse with age/minutes) is almost as averse to rebounding as Bargs and is a terrible defender. At least Bargnani bought into DC's plan and his help D was much improved last season. Brook, on the other hand, doesn't have the range of AB, none of the moves, no handles, no hops and only average motor. IMO, as a certified Bargs hater, Brook Lopez makes AB look All NBA.

And yet he always gets a pass from the US media. I don't usually pull this card but let's face it: It's because BL is a Yank and played all his ball Stateside. If he were a Euro they'd be killing him the way they do Andrea.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Just look at his view of the Knicks lol. For those who don't know Sheridan is a BIG Knicks backer

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote d749 wrote: View Post
    fields is much worse then the asik contract :S
    beasley at 6 mil per year isnt bad at all
    the only thing he got right was that demar is playing for a new contract

the beas deal and the green deal had my perplexed this year. 2 players who should have been playing on one or two year contracts for almost nothing to prove they belonged in the league both got paid for years. asik could end up being a good grab for the rockets, except he is a bit big/slow and might not be able to handle starters minutes in my opinion

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DG88 wrote: View Post
    Just look at his view of the Knicks lol. For those who don't know Sheridan is a BIG Knicks backer
    the knicks must have the biggest collection of dicks in the entire nba. every fucking reporter south of the boarder is on them

Raptors Republic Rookie 10 000 Hours's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    "Sheridanhoops review of the Raptors offseason" grade F.
    +1

There are always going to pieces like these, because there are 30 teams to review in these off season puff pieces. The writer will give their best take on the 1st 10 teams, but will probably review a team like the Raptors closer to the end, when they're tired and just want to finish.

If this team can start winning and make some noise in the playoffs aka don't get swept by the Heat, reviews will be slightly more favourable and realistic next season.

Sadly dolts like the guy who wrote this "article" will forever be around, luring people in on sexy headlines ultimately leaving the reader with a sick and disgusted feeling as they succumb to the fact that they just wasted a part of their life which they can never get back.
    Last edited by 10 000 Hours; Fri Aug 24th, 2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: changed their to they're
    Walking like I'm already there.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 10 000 Hours wrote: View Post
    +1

There are always going to pieces like these, because there are 30 teams to review in these off season puff pieces. The writer will give their best take on the 1st 10 teams, but will probably review a team like the Raptors closer to the end, when their tired and just want to finish.

If this team can start winning and make some noise in the playoffs aka don't get swept by the Heat, reviews will be slightly more favourable and realistic next season.

Sadly dolts like the guy who wrote this "article" will forever be around, luring people in on sexy headlines ultimately leaving the reader with a sick and disgusted feeling as they succumb to the fact that they just wasted a part of their life which they can never get back.
    Great insight!

SheridanHoops has quickly become one of the worst professional basketball sites, in my opinion. BleacherReport might even be ahead of them.

I've read a few things are SheridanHoops and quickly regretted it. It is to the point now I don't even bother. I always leave disappointed - Raptor-related or not.

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The difference between Bleacher Report and Sheridan Hoops is that Chris Sheridan is actually supposed to be a professional basketball analyst. He was one of ESPN's leading NBA writers before he decided to go out on his own, although I think he may have been canned after reading this latest piece.

I thought he was way off base with his marks for numerous teams aside from the Raptors, but his analysis of Toronto's off-season may have been the worst...

Most draft experts say that JV would have been the second overall pick this past year behind Anthony Davis and yet the only thing he can come up with is that he's foul prone?

Fields contract was the worst of the summer even though Brook Lopez signed a maximum deal after playing only five more games in the NBA than I did last season and Omer Asik will be paid just under $15 million (!!!!) in 2015 despite averaging 3 points a game last year?

Javale Mcgee got $44 million over four years!

Come on son!
    Last edited by Fully; Sat Aug 25th, 2012 at 10:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information