It's raining 3's!!! Lights out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's raining 3's!!! Lights out!

Trade Ed Davis to Cleveland for Daniel Gibson.

Cavs need a backup power forward and they are looking to trade Boobie.
    Gibson is a good shooter who can play at both guard spots.

If rumors are true, Jamaal Magloire got invited to training camp. If he makes the team, our 4 & 5 spots are definitely completed. Davis is the odd man out. Let's see what would be the roster.

C: Aaron Gray | Jonas Valanciunas | Jamaal Magloire
    PF: Andrea Bargnani | Amir Johnson | Quincy Acy
    SF: DeMar DeRozan | Linas Kleiza | Alan Anderson
    SG: Landry Fields | Terrence Ross | Daniel Gibson
    PG: Kyle Lowry | Jose Calderon | John Lucas

Depth at each and every position, talent, experience and youngster; defense, 3 point shooting.

I like that. How 'bout you?
    Last edited by charlesnba23; Fri Sep 7, 2012, 04:42 PM.

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    Trade Ed Davis to Cleveland for Daniel Gibson.

Cavs need a backup power forward and they are looking to trade Boobie.
    Gibson is a good shooter who can play at both guard spots.

If rumors are true, Jamaal Magloire got invited to training camp. If he makes the team, our 4 & 5 spots are definitely completed. Davis is the odd man out. Let's see what would be the roster.

C: Aaron Gray | Jonas Valanciunas | Jamaal Magloire
    PF: Andrea Bargnani | Amir Johnson | Quincy Acy
    SF: DeMar DeRozan | Linas Kleiza | Alan Anderson
    SG: Landry Fields | Terrence Ross | Daniel Gibson
    PG: Kyle Lowry | Jose Calderon | John Lucas

Depth at each and every position, talent, experience and youngster; defense, 3 point shooting.

I like that. How 'bout you?
    :S
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

What does that mean

Comment

i think it's a smiley face. i would rather hold on with davis until deadline time and try to package him with joses' contract but this to me is a good trade for both teams to make.

Comment

No offense, but this is a terrible, terrible trade.

Davis is cheap, has potential, young, not to mention already a solid rotational player who can make a small impact.
          Daniel Gibson is washed up, for he has no other outstanding skill other than his perimeter shooting. I agree with Miekenstien, and wait till trade deadline. I wouldn't want ANYTHING to do with Gibson.

I would rather trade him for a second round pick and cash. Flexibility.

Comment

Ok thank you for your explanations but I just don't see a spot for Davis in this team, with JV, Gray, Bargnani, Amir, Magloire and Acy. Clearly Davis needs playing time. He won't get it with this frontcourt I can tell you. And I'd rather keep Amir, but let's not start a debate. I think he'd simply help us win more games. He's a hustla. Davis ain't.

Comment

I don't mind Gibson but not for Davis. The trade favours Cleveland. To make my point, if Gibson chooses to leave as a FA after the season, we lose Davis for nothing. Cleveland on the other hand are left with young improving PF who they control for another year at a very reasonable price. Davis has yet to reach his ceiling, so it makes sense to watch him for a little longer.
              Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Yeah but if we don't keep Calderon, we could give a really good contract offer. Anyway I think I already lost my point.

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                  Ok thank you for your explanations but I just don't see a spot for Davis in this team, with JV, Gray, Bargnani, Amir, Magloire and Acy. Clearly Davis needs playing time. He won't get it with this frontcourt I can tell you. And I'd rather keep Amir, but let's not start a debate. I think he'd simply help us win more games. He's a hustla. Davis ain't.
                  When you're making these trades, the importance is would both teams do it? Why?

In my opinion, Davis will get minutes - not a huge amount - but for the back-up position, Amir, Acy, and Davis will be battling for time.

If this trade WAS made, look at the depth chart.

PG: Lowry, Calderon, Lucas, Gibson
                  SG: Derozan, Ross
                  SF: Fields, Kleiza, Anderson
                  PF: Bargnani, Johnson, Acy
                  C: Valanciunas, Gray

- Log jam at the 4 is clear, but it creates another log jam and controversy of point guard time. There is no use in trying to trade for a player with no significant strength to impact a team, for one who potentially can. 3rd string, for a potential future core piece sounds off.
                  - Next is the back-up. Amir Johnson is injury-prone, and foul-prone. Minutes haven't always been in favor this past season, because he is consistently unhealthy, or acquiring calls. Who is next in line to get their name called 'position' wise? Quincy Acy. Unproven, rookie, and inexperienced. If going by positional depth, Acy would be next, and backing up Andrea? I wouldn't want that right out of the gate.
                  - Also, if Magloire receives a camp invite, doesn't necessarily mean he will make the team. A couple others have received invites as well I believe. Also, IF Magloire does make the team, he will likely be on the inactive list, thus not conflicting with Davis' playing time. Furthermore, Magloire does not play power forward, him joining the team competes with no one's playing time.

Although I agree of the Amir > Ed conversation, Ed is already as good as Amir without the hustle or intensity, not to mention he has a much higher ceiling.

Overall, it doesn't make us a better team, speaking on individual player talent, we certainly got worse. Wait for trade deadline to ship a package + Calderon if he is not happy, or wait for end of season where we can make better deals/decisions.

EDIT* I never pointed out Cleveland's point of view. Uhm, well. They would honestly grab it and run, this is a no brainer for a team like this.
                  Last edited by ReubenJRD; Sun Sep 9, 2012, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Than you have a counter-argument on Gibson can play the 2, well, we already have a solid 5 man wing rotation, where all 5 can play either wing positions.

Gibson is a shooting guard in a point guard's body. A poor-mans Jerryd Bayless if I might add.

Comment

Working...
                    X